Onkyo 605 questions

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Ok, got it in today and got it hooked up.

*) When bitstreaming all the audio formats from my BD30 I get PCM and no MasterHD from I Robot, so Im guessing both cables I own are NOT 1.3a(luckily I ordered one thats 1.3a, should be here tomorrow)

*) What are listening mode are you guys generally using for sat/dvd/bluray?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Liteway,Ducky here, I use Dolby+PLIIx .movie for most of Sat stuff.For HD DVD I use Multich with both pcm through HDMI and same for Analog , I don't think I have a choice when using pcm. I'm not sure about your I Robot problem.
Dan

Oh yeah, I always try little stuff like that here first. Ill prob try giving the 605 thread a read next week over there.

Im pretty sure my issue is neither of my cables are 1.3a.

I'm assuming you bought a re-furb unit, what was the info given for the re-furb? Mine was cosmetic damage, and I think they just replaced the front face plate, because I could find no damage at all.
Dan

Thanks. I Robot sounds great.

The 605 seems to get warmer than my sony, do you see any issues with it being inside a closed case. The side its on is actually meant for two units, but Ive pulled the center shelf out so it has plenty of room. Just wondering if I need a fan.

Also, do you have a recommendation on a certain sub level setting before start the speaker distance/level calibration?

Thanks

So I went to update my FW and it appears it has the newest version

IMG_0606.jpg

Heres another pic

IMG_0608.jpg

I have a 605 and a ps3 set at pcm and the 605 does not light up anything on the front panel other than pcm multichannel hdmi, - but when I press select on my ps3 controller it tells me that dts hd master audio is in fact on and also what my bitstream readings are.

I had a fan on my old Sony, a 110v plugged into the switched power outlet on the Sony. Now with my Onkyo on top of my Entertainment Center, I don't use a fan.