Onkyo 605

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
Okay I have everything set up on my 605 and now I would like to know what is the best sound options for HD DVD and Blu Ray and how do I set that up? Thanks

With the BDP-S300 I would keep it at PCM as it does not decode bitstream and that will still give you true hd audio. Your HD-A30 can be set to bitstream and it will transmit DD True HD to the receiver.

I'm looking forward to hooking mine up tomorrow (just picked it up but I have work in 2 hours).

He picked two players that cannot bitstream.

The Sony BDP-S300 does not internally decode DTS-MA, DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD. It does not bitstream high res audio. The only lossless audio it can play are PCM tracks.

The Toshiba A30 internally decodes Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD. It does not bitstream high res audio. The only lossless audio it can play are PCM tracks and Dolby TrueHD converted to PCM.

I would recommend that he purchase a Panasonic DMP-BD30 and a Toshiba HD-A35 (or XA2 if you can find one) to bitstream high res audio.

Best sound options for the A30 are HDMI set to auto and SPDIF set to bitstream.

Sorrry bout that I didn't know about the A30 much. I do know the BDP-S300 does not bitstream (its why I'm on the verge of buying the BD30 at the end of the month unless the PS3 adds DTS-MA.) That said thanks for your help as well for my temp setup allargon :)

He picked two players that cannot bitstream.

The Sony BDP-S300 does not internally decode DTS-MA, DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD. It does not bitstream high res audio. The only lossless audio it can play are PCM tracks.

The Toshiba A30 internally decodes Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD. It does not bitstream high res audio. The only lossless audio it can play are PCM tracks and Dolby TrueHD converted to PCM.

I would recommend that he purchase a Panasonic DMP-BD30 and a Toshiba HD-A35 (or XA2 if you can find one) to bitstream high res audio.

Best sound options for the A30 are HDMI set to auto and SPDIF set to bitstream.
I think I will stick with the players I have now, dont have another 1000.00 to spend on 2 players

A35 is $275 on amazon
BD30 can be had for $409 on amazon
Not quite $1000, but I understand where you are coming from.

I'm sure you'd get some decent residual on your 2 current players.

The A30 should be fine, I don't know about the Sony BR player, but on the HD-DVD side, you should be just fine, no need to run off and buy new hardware. I have an A2 connected to my 605 by HDMI, and I get the TrueHD. The player internally decodes TrueHD, and DTS-MA core, then sends the decoded data over HDMI as PCM audio. The 605 display will show Multi-channel PCM, because that is what it is receiving, but you will be hearing TrueHD. See Top 10 Onkyo Receiver Setup Mistakes - AVS Forum for further info.

griz_fan, you're right the A30 should be fine, but the OP wanted to see the TrueHD light on the receiver which only the A35 can bitstream

Edit:
nevermind, I got the OP confused with another user who was wondering why the TrueHd light was not on using an A30

griz_fan, you're right the A30 should be fine, but the OP wanted to see the TrueHD light on the receiver which only the A35 can bitstream

Edit:
nevermind, I got the OP confused with another user who was wondering why the TrueHd light was not on using an A30

Heh... yeah, that's why I'm glad I read the Top 10 Onkyo Receiver Setup Mistakes thread on the AVS Forum site before my 605 showed up ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)