Onkyo Switches to Blu-ray

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
bd.gif

Onkyo Corporation has announced that they have abandoned the HD DVD format and will now shift focus towards development of a Blu-ray player. The Onkyo HD DVD player shared most parts with Toshiba's HD DVD players, and since those players are now out of production, Onkyo is forced to discontinue development and production of their player as well.

In order to prevent such a situation from setting the company behind, development has been ongoing for the release of a Blu-ray player. No timeframe was given as to when consumers could expect to see an Onkyo Blu-ray player, but by the end of the year should be very plausible, if not sooner.

Source: Blu-ray.com | Permalink
Well, I never owned an Onkyo products...but I am looking forward to their next player that they are going to release for Blu-ray.

Why are you looking forward to it? How many will you buy?

Because maybe I want to see it?

And I am not going to keep only the PS3 as the only BD player...
I am planning to buy a 2nd player soon, but it be a while, I am waiting for the price to drop.

Because maybe I want to see it?

And I am not going to keep only the PS3 as the only BD player...
I am planning to buy a 2nd player soon, but it be a while, I am waiting for the price to drop.

+1 I'm in the same situation.

Sony, Panasonic, Onkyo all have new players coming out before christmas so it will be interesting to see which one has the best price + peformance.

I have the Onkyo TR-SX805 AVR and it is the best AVR I have ever owned. It rocks, so maybe Onkyo will put together a decent BD player that hopefully will be 2.0 compliant. I like my PS3 as a BD player but I would rather have a standalone -- I don't want to wear my PS3 out!:D

Yep, my PS3 is plugged in to my 805. But I'll eventually get another HDTV and a stand alone Blu-ray player. Maybe when I see full features for $300. If not this year, then next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts