Onkyo TX-SR606

What's a "respiff"?

Factory refurbished. The unit was returned from the distribution channel and has been examined by the factory. It was repaired if necessary and is then put back into the market as what is called "B Stock". The warranty is generally shorter, but some will argue that the unit is more reliable because it has gone through full testing instead of the random sample testing that A units get.

Others will argue it is less reliable because it already had a problem. That may be true for something like a 606 that is currently in production, but units get returned for a lot of reasons. For example, stock that gets returned when a store goes bankrupt or stops carrying a brand will get put into B stock/refurbished. When a model gets replac3ed, all of the factory overstock will go into the same pool. I have seen estimates that less than 30% of all refurbished units ever had a problem.

Essentially any form of a refurbished unit. These are typically ones returned as defective by customers (some were, some weren't, some they can't tell, as in "ghost in the machine") that are typically bench tested, repaired (for the most part) then resold as refurbished. This is akin to some of the "scratch and dent" specials you find at places like Sears that have actually been sold, returned, reworked, and placed for resale. Usually they carry the full original warranty, without which they would be very suspect. Sometimes it's less, hence less of a bargain.

Guys like jayn_j and I have an affinity for such equipment! You can find a LOT of bargains in this classification if you're willing to take a chance on an occasional lemon. With the warranty intact all you're out is some time and frustration. We are both believers that "gently used" units are actually better values in that they have had a bit of a real-world "burn-in" period that can help weed-out "infant motals". I.e., once repaired and retested they are statistically more likely to have a long trouble-free life than something brand new out of the box! For those willing to take a chance and who understand what they're really getting, this is a very good way to save a chunk of change! But as with most other things, YMMV...!

Factory refurbished. The unit was returned from the distribution channel and has been examined by the factory. It was repaired if necessary and is then put back into the market as what is called "B Stock". The warranty is generally shorter, but some will argue that the unit is more reliable because it has gone through full testing instead of the random sample testing that A units get.

Others will argue it is less reliable because it already had a problem. That may be true for something like a 606 that is currently in production, but units get returned for a lot of reasons. For example, stock that gets returned when a store goes bankrupt or stops carrying a brand will get put into B stock/refurbished. When a model gets replac3ed, all of the factory overstock will go into the same pool. I have seen estimates that less than 30% of all refurbished units ever had a problem.
That's what I figured.

Nothing wrong with factory refurbs. I get wary with box store open stock.

I bought a Rotel 1095 amp from Rotel direct for way less than cost with the original warranty. It has been going strong for at least 5 or 6 years. Can't remember how long I've had it. It's a champ.

S~

Check ONKYOUSA for refurbs straight from Onkyo. I bought one years ago, and it worked flawlessly for as long as I owned it. Some crackhead relieved me of it, along with the rest of my electronics some years ago in a "home invasion".

It was about 4 yrs. ago, I've searched every crack house in town, but I didn't find my stuff.:D

Seriously, the cops acted like they couldn't care less.
32" TV, two 20" TV's, a pair of Magnepan 1.6q's, Magnepan CC, Pioneer universal DVD, PS2, VCR (didn't use it anymore), the Onkyo. Left behind the rear channel speakers, both subwoofers, and most importantly, my money, my wife's jewelry, and my albums, turntable, CD's, and DVD's, and my dog. They didn't make much of a mess either. Still feel violated, though. Insurance covered everything.

Fortunately what was lost is apparently the replaceable stuff! (Well, maybe not the VCR!)

I'd have a frank discussion with the dog, however...!

(Sorry to hear of your loss. Where I live that is probably more along the lines of when rather than if for me too. They'd only have to slip the dog a steak and they're in!)

BRgds...

My dog is a Golden Retriever, anybody that has one knows they are the friendliest dogs on the planet. When we got home she was hiding. Whoever did this scared the hell out of her.

My "woof" is also a "whoos". As a pit, she has a certain reputation and anyone who can recognize the breed should surely consider the possible consequences of an encounter. But << alas! >> in my case the bark (directly mostly at me, especially when supper is late!) is demonstrably worse than the bite...!

Again, BRgds, and to your wonderful dog as well...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)