Onkyo TX-SR606

Chucky Cheese

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Anyone running one of these with a PS3? I hear several issue about humming using HDMI. This is my only concern about picking one up. I want to get the sony BDPS350 so I can send the PS3 up to my sons room. I originally bought the PS3 for him, but until I can pick up the stand alone player the PS3 is going to be used until then.

Anyone running one of these with a PS3? I hear several issue about humming using HDMI. This is my only concern about picking one up. I want to get the sony BDPS350 so I can send the PS3 up to my sons room. I originally bought the PS3 for him, but until I can pick up the stand alone player the PS3 is going to be used until then.

Humming is generally caused by a ground loop. As a first step, is everything plugged into the same power strip. If not, do it. make sure the power strip is properly grounded at the outlet.

Try that first, and if it doesn't work, we can try other things. Ground loops can be some of the trickiest things to fix.

Humming is generally caused by a ground loop. As a first step, is everything plugged into the same power strip. If not, do it. make sure the power strip is properly grounded at the outlet.

Try that first, and if it doesn't work, we can try other things. Ground loops can be some of the trickiest things to fix.
Wow... really? I'm getting a 606 as well (or at least planning on getting one) and this could be an issue for me as well. What are the other things that can be done to fix it?

I haven't purchased it yet. Just wanted to know if anyone is running one using a PS3. If you do a search on reviews, thiers quite a bit of the humming issues from different web sites (Amazon, Crutchfield, Circuit City, Etc...).

I haven't purchased it yet. Just wanted to know if anyone is running one using a PS3. If you do a search on reviews, thiers quite a bit of the humming issues from different web sites (Amazon, Crutchfield, Circuit City, Etc...).

I don't have one connected either, just an XBOX on a different TV. The XBOX initially had a ground loop that manifested itself as moire patterns on the image.

Ground loops can be very nasty to correct. They are caused by electronics having different ground states that allow current to flow between devices, i.e. the PS3 and the 606. Each unit has a ground at the power plug. However, there is another common ground at the shield of the HDMI cable. I suspect that the Sony design isolates the signal ground from the power ground internally, and this is why a common problem occurs.

Sometimes the problem can be fixed by tying the two chassis together with a heavy wire (12 gauge or bigger). Sometimes it requires going inside the boxes, but that certainly isn't the first step.

There is also a possibility that the PS3 cables aren't shielded well, and this could cause induced noise. The solution here is to physically move the cables and arrange them so that they do not have long parallel paths, such as being bundled together.

At any rate, neither of you have the problem yet, so this could just be borrowing trouble.

Just saw the 606 jumped almost $50 at Amazon (from $325 to $370) yesterday. What's the deal? Looks like all the receivers jumped..the Yamaha 663 jumped almost the same amount..its now at $399 and was at $350 over the weekend.

Just saw the 606 jumped almost $50 at Amazon (from $325 to $370) yesterday. What's the deal? Looks like all the receivers jumped..the Yamaha 663 jumped almost the same amount..its now at $399 and was at $350 over the weekend.
Great.... hopefully we'll have some good Xmas deals..

Just so you know that it can work, this is the exact receiver that I have and I have a PS3 running through it using an HDMI cable. No issues at all. I have quality cables bought at Monoprice and everything is powed through a 900VA APC UPS

Just so you know that it can work, this is the exact receiver that I have and I have a PS3 running through it using an HDMI cable. No issues at all. I have quality cables bought at Monoprice and everything is powed through a 900VA APC UPS

Good to hear!!

I knew I should have jumped on it when it was $326. It comming back down though, it's at $343 now. If it goes back near $326 I'll jump on it. If not I'll wait untill the holidays.

LOL..yep, its in my cart and I've been watchign it creep down $1 here, $5 there for the last week. If it breaks the sub $330 price again I'll probably go ahead & snap it up.

I'd love to pick this up, but unfortunately it looks like my financial situation isn't panning out the way I wanted, and I'm right now forced to choose between a new television, and a new receiver and speakers. At this point, I'd prefer to have two HDTVs with a HTIB versus 1 HDTV with a HTIB and Receiver and Speakers. Maybe by the time I get ready to purchase the audio part the 606 will be even cheaper.

...Maybe by the time I get ready to purchase the audio part the 606 will be even cheaper.
When I was in the market last May the 606 was just coming out and the 605 was being liquidated "cheaply" at several places, both B&M and on-line. You can expect such a churn at least annually...

When I was in the market last May the 606 was just coming out and the 605 was being liquidated "cheaply" at several places, both B&M and on-line. You can expect such a churn at least annually...

As long as you are willing to accept last year's model, and understand that anything you buy will soon be obsolete, you can get good deals. The Onkyo 605 was available until a few weeks ago for $220ish.

Then there is B stock (respiffed) ecost.com currently has the 606 respiffed for $257. That seems like one heck of a deal.

Receivers - Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver - Black (Onkyo) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players

You and I agree on "respiffs" on several accounts, but they are not for the faint-hearted...!

(...hoping to save them for those of us who can really appreciate/love them....!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)