only getting and paying for locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TTTTVVVV

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
I have a friend who only purchases locals from DirecTV.

I gets the networks and PBS and He pays about 10.50 a month.

I've seen his bill this is for real.

He said what you have to do when you order programming is demand to talk to a supervisor and keep going up the ladder until you get what you want.

Well I told a farmer friend of mine all about this and he was delighted because all he wants is the locals and PBS and can't afford anything else.

So I had a spare receiver and I installed it in his house. When he ordered programming they gave him a whole punch of free programming for the first 3 months. Then they started to bill him and they didn't want to hear anythng about just the locals. He tried and tried just to get the locals and they kept insisting that he had to have a package. So he got frustrated and just had the whole dam thing turned off.

I feel like sh#t because I got him into this whole mess.

but the fact is my accountant friend only pays about 10.50 a month.

Anyone else aware of these options?

They are called a TV antenna and there is no subscription fee involved.

Or I guess you could get a time machine and go back at least 10 years when there was the option for different programming than is available today.

DISH does allow you to subscribe to minimum amounts of programming by paying an access fee but I don't know if you could get away with a $10 fee even with them.

Dish Network charges you $5.99 for the locals and a $6 access fee plus sales tax so its going to cost $12.50 to $13.00 total after tax.

At one time, D* DID allow you buy such a minimum pkg, but this was a LONG time ago. It was a VERY limited basic pkg which was about $6-$7 & it ONLY gave access to PPV, PI & shopping channels, etc. You could then add locals to this, which would then probably take it to about the price he's paying.

Unfortunately, D* NO longer offers such a pkg to NEW subs & ONLY existing subs are grandfathered into such pkgs. Make a change or get rid of this pkg & he'll NEVER get it back.

Sorry, but I HIGHLY doubt your other friend is going to get this, unless you have him get DISH, as someone already suggested to you - he AIN'T gonna get it from DirecTV.

At one time, D* DID allow you buy such a minimum pkg, but this was a LONG time ago. It was a VERY limited basic pkg which was about $6-$7 & it ONLY gave access to PPV, PI & shopping channels, etc. You could then add locals to this, which would then probably take it to about the price he's paying.

Unfortunately, D* NO longer offers such a pkg to NEW subs & ONLY existing subs are grandfathered into such pkgs. Make a change or get rid of this pkg & he'll NEVER get it back. .

D*TV screwed me in the same way. I had the old Spanish Ultra Sin Locales package which was about $10 cheaper than the nearly equivalent Choice Plus without locals. They're marketing dept. kept calling about once a week and offering upgrades. In a moment of weakness and confusion, I agreed to add locals to the Spanish package. Big mistake. My next bill increased by $17 dollars (after the salesperson that signed me up had told me they were an extra $3). After receiving this bill, I called retention and removed the locals and received a "$10 credit for life" but they couldn't put me back on the Spanish Ultra package I had before. Instead, I was placed on the current Spanish package. Retention assured me that even though the $10 credit showed up on my bill as a 12 month credit it was forever explaining that their computers couldn't put in a credit for more than twelve months, but it was for "life". Guess what? After 12 months, it expired. I called D*TV, eventually got to retention, and they told me there was no such thing as a discount that lasted forever! How do you argue something like that? I've got no proof.

Here's the kicker - since that moment I added locals (for less than a month) the D*TV marketing dept has never called again!

Coincidence? I think not!

Someone probably lied to you to begin with about the lifetime credit to keep you for 12 more months and they probably get a commission for saving a customer.

When you order International channels from Directv you have to subscribe to Basic $9.95 package ,
The package has all yore local channels.

• DIRECTV® BASIC ($9.99/mo.)
• DIRECTV PREFERRED CHOICE" programming package ($29.99/mo.)
• any DIRECTV base programming package (valued at $29.99/mo. or above)

When you order International channels from Directv you have to subscribe to Basic $9.95 package ,
The package has all yore local channels.

• DIRECTV® BASIC ($9.99/mo.)

But you DO realize D* will NOT let you sub to JUST this pkg - you MUST take some sort of International ch BEFORE they will let you sub to this. Cheapest International ch that I can find is $10, so he'd be better off taking Family Choice & at least getting ENGLISH channels instead. ;) ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)