Open Letter To Senator Boxer Regarding Dish Network & V-Chip Technology

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bradley2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Dear Senator Boxer, Derrick Brent (Telecom Counsel) and Staff,

I'm writing you in regards to a persistent violation pertaining to the lack of DTV (Digital Television) OTA (Over The Air) textual content imbedded in OTA terrestrial broadcaster's stream.

I'm sure you're asking, what does all this mean?

Simply put, subscribers (perhaps, even you) to DBS services (DirecTV/Dish Network) who elect to capture their local television DTV signals OTA, via an indoor or outdoor antenna (with no subscription to local-into-local services from the DBS providers), passing the OTA terrestrial antenna feed through through their DBS (Direct Broadcast Satellite) providers STBs (Set Top Box) to be present on their TV sets, are at a clear distinct disadvantage.

Why?

The Off-Air/OTA DTV broadcaster includes within its broadcast stream, program identification, viewer appropriateness rating, program synopsis, station scheduling as well as other textual content. Both DirecTV and Dish Network are willfully and intentionally subverting, withholding, eliminating, and simply do not accommodate of the textual information. This leaves the consumer/viewer unable to make viewership decisions, nor be informed, nor utilize 'V-Chip' technology mandated by the FCC to prevent unauthorized viewing of inappropriate program content of all OTA, Cable, DBS, etc., content by children and others.

I don't believe such dodgy behavior, by BOTH DirecTV and Dish, is considered in the public's interest nor by the FCC. Recently, in the latter part of 2007, the FCC proposed fines of $7.4 million dollars for a manufacture who willfully omitted 'V-Chip' technology in sets for violating its rules prohibiting the interstate shipment of sets without DTV V-Chip technology*. DirecTV and Dish Network, both are violating the same statutes with their STBs. *(source: FCC proposes $7.74 million forfeiture for violation of DTV V-Chip rule)

Why are the DBS providers not passing this information on through their STBs?

For monetary gain. By not providing the OTA DTV broadcasters program stream of identification, viewer appropriateness rating, program synopsis, station scheduling as well as other textual content, DBS providers want consumers to pay for local-into-local services, an additional charge of (Dish, at present) $5.99 per month. This brings in million upon millions of dollars each month in additional revenue to DBS providers while clearly subverting the FCC's mandated 'V-Chip' technology. These actions are clearly intent on subverting the protection of children and others from inappropriate content programming for monetary gain.

Why not pay simply pay the $5.99 per month for access to local-into-local services to the DBS providers?

Dish doesn't provide PBS HD in local markets. Furthermore, Why should anyone pay for a handful channels from DBS providers when there are typically 4 to 5 times more in a given market, and if you the have the ability to capture and view those channels with an antenna (presently, I have 21 channels in my market)?

I've attempted over the years to seek compliance from Dish Network on this issue, but it continually falls on deaf ears.

Without question, I believe this is a loop hole that must be addressed by the FCC and closed.

Since you are active on telecommunications issues, as you sit on the Senate Commerce Committee, I feel you're best suited to address this matter, as it is essential in not only serving your constituents, but our nation as well.

Without a directive that mandates DBS providers who provide STBs which have the ability to receive OTA signals requiring them to provide DTV textual content, viewers are ill informed and DBS providers are violating 'V-Chip' technology, regardless of the potential harm to children and others from inappropriate content, etc.

Please, Senator Boxer, will you and your staff join me in requesting the FCC address this issue since DirecTV and Dish are unwilling?

I look forward to your response and wish to thank you, in advance, for your time and consideration in this matter. I would also wish to thank you and your staff for their continued work and support for our nation, and the world at large.

Most Sincerely,

X

To the OP.

A chip isn't your kids parent, stop whining and be a parent, it's your responsibility to monitor what your kids watch, quit wasting everyone's time and go do your job!

NightRyder

I don't want my child accidentally seeing the news, documentaries or inappropriate programs. Can you reach around that?

What is wrong with you people? Use the technology instead of finding fault. I'm so sick of ass***** like yourself who just bitch and find fault in just about everything! I bet you don't even have children nor truly understand what it is to be a Dad, schmuck!!!

You don't want your children to accidently watch the news or documentaries on PBS? Surely the content on PBS isn't as bad as the language you choose to use on this message board.

You just don't get it, do yah? It's mandated. It's the law! It's designed to assist and be a safety net. To protect children from inadvertently being exposed to inappropriate material.

It's mandated for TV sets. You are the one who is filtering the information by running it thru a 3rd party device rather than connecting directly to your set. As the previous poster noted do your job as a parent as a parent and monitor what your kids watch. The whole V-Chip is a crock put in place by a nanny state government because parents are too lazy or incompetent to properly take an interest in and raise their kids.

You just don't get it, do yah? It's mandated. It's the law! It's designed to assist and be a safety net. To protect children from inadvertently being exposed to inappropriate material.

My kids have their own 'Favorites' "Kids" setting. We watch their viewing habits. The 'V-Chip' is there to assist parents, not act as a baby sitter.

Think about it... Cartoon Network is kid friendly until 8 PM Pacific; after that, its 'Adult Swim'. The V-Chip works for that, but NOT OTA. When PBS HD (remember, Dish doesn't cary PBS HD) ends kid friendly programming, I don't want my child accidentally seeing the news, documentaries or inappropriate programs. Can you reach around that?

What is wrong with you people? Use the technology instead of finding fault. I'm so sick of ass***** like yourself who just bitch and find fault in just about everything! I bet you don't even have children nor truly understand what it is to be a Dad, schmuck!!!

Raised 2 fine adults and did it without V-Chips or any other electronic BS. I certainly didn't spend my time whining to the government about something that was my responsibility. If you're so afraid of whats on TV buy a bunch of DVD's and lose the satellite or better yet lose the TV altogether.

NightRyder

To the OP, Buy yourself a non-Dish/Direct OTA tuner and stop using your Dish/Direct receiver for OTA. This will provide your must have V-chip data.

Actually, TVs are mandated to include both Digital OTA tuners and V-chips.

In fact, Olevia was slapped with a fine for selling their old stock of tuner-less sets.

Bradley2,
I understand your concerns, I see you put a lot of thought into your letter ;)
My brats are grown so I don't have any V-chip concerns. But it's your right and duty to communicate to your elected officials the problems "as you see it" which you hold dear.

Good luck to you in your battle with the DBS providers lobbyist.

Last edited:
I don't know about Direct, but Dish doesn't allow the data to go through so that they can make you pay for locals to get the guide data. That's the point. I guess you all like throwing your money away.

It's like mob mentality here, one person replies with a smart alec comment and the vultures come out to prey.

My kids have their own 'Favorites' "Kids" setting. We watch their viewing habits. The 'V-Chip' is there to assist parents, not act as a baby sitter.

Think about it... Cartoon Network is kid friendly until 8 PM Pacific; after that, its 'Adult Swim'. The V-Chip works for that, but NOT OTA. When PBS HD (remember, Dish doesn't cary PBS HD) ends kid friendly programming, I don't want my child accidentally seeing the news, documentaries or inappropriate programs. Can you reach around that?

Language like this is probably what's messing your kids up worse than television. They learn from their parents, so if flying off the handle is par for the course for you, then your kids are learning some bad habits.

How about you watch the show yourself, see if its appropriate and then decide for yourself if you want your kids to watch. I'm sure you're well aware that what is considered socially acceptable today is probably lower than your standards of acceptability appear to be. Even for a hothead such as you. How about you read your message back to your kids and let them see what daddy does and you can go back to telling them to do as you say, not as you do.

Look... you're right, I lost my cool. I apologized to NightRyder in a PM. I also wrote SatGuys asked to retract the post.

I was a paying member years ago under a different alias, and I left because of the adolescent behavior here, I and others have been subjected to. It's clear nothing's changed.… If anything it's gotten worse.

Life is very different from when I was raised. I was taught not to be rude or condescending. I was taught, if didn't concern me, to ignore it; I taught my children the same.

I've got a 7 year old and what I see on Disney and on cartoons is rude and disrespectful. I'm no prude (I enjoy Adult Swim, too!), but somethings just aren't cool for today's kids and it reinforces inappropriate behavior.

I'm a super Dad, and if anything, I'm overly protective. I can't be with her every moment of every day even though I'd like to.

I see the 'V-Chip' as an asset, other's don't. But that's no reason to be rude and insulting.

A final note on the matter... since March 1, 2007, all TVs and STB according to the FCC must utilize 'V-Chip' technology.

I thought some of you might appreciate the effort I put forth in attempting to get Dish and DirecTV to do the right thing. For the most part, I was very wrong.

It's become obvious, this isn't the forum for it. Confirmation... my lash-out was removed, but the originating insults remain.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)