Open Letter To Senator Boxer Regarding Dish Network & V-Chip Technology

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
WOW......You may be on to something there though

They reason I posted this. My children are 30. You would be amazed on how they would do an end-around on everything I did. This was (according to them) during the 13-18 age, way harder to monitor. I guess I fit best in "don't know what they were doing" catagory. For instance do your neighbors or their friends, have the same restrictions? Look, I am NOT disagreeing with you all as much as you might think, but sometimes just would like to look at all the angles. Don't mean to upset anybody, no point.

I applaud Bradley and anyone else taking time to correspond with their elected leaders regardless of the topic or their opinions. These citizens are speaking up and making their voices heard by using the proper channels. After all, I doubt many Senators and Representatives spend much of their time reading Internet Forums.:up

I am glad you sent that letter. I'm not really worried about V Chip issues, but if there is a law that can change the fact that DISH is screwing me out of 6.00 a month, then I'm all for it being enforced.

If you've been following the new DTV PAL OTA tuner they are about to start selling, then you've probably noticed that one of the features is program guide data for one or two weeks out. The fact that they can do this with the DTV PAL proves that they are deliberately withholding that data from their satellite boxes for the sole purpose of charging me extra each month. I subscribe to locals through DISH because I want the guide data on my box. I don't think I've ever watched them through the satellite. The quality is far inferior to my OTA reception. If they would allow the program data through, I could and would drop the satellite locals.

I guess all of you who think it was a stupid post do not use an antenna for locals. I can see where it would not be an issue to you. But I for one hope the letter does some good.

I applaud Bradley and anyone else taking time to correspond with their elected leaders regardless of the topic or their opinions. These citizens are speaking up and making their voices heard by using the proper channels. After all, I doubt many Senators and Representatives spend much of their time reading Internet Forums.:up

I agree with the way you handled your concern by taking it through the people we vote into office. However, I must say that we as parents have a responsiblity to control what our kids do and how we raise our kids. By putting it off on someone else is wrong and just plain insane. Take for example, I saw in the news where a parent is suing the fast food chains for her son being overweight. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? How is it there fault he is overweight? I don't see it.

Anyway, not saying you are a bad parent but there are lots out there that find excuses for there faults. Good luck with your letter. . . Well written might I add....

Brad,

Did you send a whiney PM to everyone that thought you were wasting your time, or just me?? Please for the sake of the country and your daughter, go spend some one on one time with her instead of crying for more Nanny Laws............

Last edited:
He sent one to me!!! And that was after I wrote a comment somewhat agreeing that he had a point, regardless what we felt about the law. I just laughed at him and told the self righteous prick never to message me again.

13? Try 18....
Got 'em (18 & 19), and, at this point, they are fine young adults able to make their own decisions & run their own lives. Alot of which I attribute to my Wife & I rasing them....as opposed to letting TV and the Government babysit them.

Control your own kids TV watching (...preferably get 'em out of the house & on the trails, biking, hiking, spending time with YOU, not the idiot box & the idiot feds).

He sent one to me!!! And that was after I wrote a comment somewhat agreeing that he had a point, regardless what we felt about the law. I just laughed at him and told the self righteous prick never to message me again.

Glad I wasn't the only one..........it only goes to show that this guy has way too much time on his hands.......maybe he should do less thinking about what a great dad he feels he is and actually spend time with his daughter????

Now, who actually says, "I am a great dad!!" out loud? I mean, I think I am a good dad, but there are many times I falter and fall short of what my daughter deserves, and because of that, I am certainly not a great dad, but rather a dad that tries to be the best dad I can be, though, I will never be the father my daughter truly deserves.

Glad I wasn't the only one..........it only goes to show that this guy has way too much time on his hands.......maybe he should do less thinking about what a great dad he feels he is and actually spend time with his daughter????

Now, who actually says, "I am a great dad!!" out loud? I mean, I think I am a good dad, but there are many times I falter and fall short of what my daughter deserves, and because of that, I am certainly not a great dad, but rather a dad that tries to be the best dad I can be, though, I will never be the father my daughter truly deserves.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I think I am a good dad, but there are many times I falter and fall short of what my daughter deserves, and because of that, I am certainly not a great dad, but rather a dad that tries to be the best dad I can be, though, I will never be the father my daughter truly deserves.

I don't think there is a father of a daughter who couldn't agree with that. Very well said! :up

NightRyder

IMO, most of you are looking at the half part of the glass of his post. He is trying to spin the issue abou the ratings and children exposed to it. To me the most clarifying point is that Dish is charging us the $5.99 for something that should be free. I do not have a problem with him trying to spin it of "being unsafe" to children since this can catch the eyes of politicians more. I hope we can get rid of the $5.99 for local guide data and I will definitely drop the LIL (but that is just hope; nothing more).

Folks from where I sit, first off all TV's are required to have built in V-Chip technology.

Maybe I am missing something here but why require satellite companies to build in the same technology? Why pay twice for what you should already have.

In addition DirecTV and Dish Network (and AT&T Uverse and others) all have tremendous parental control features in them.

For all of these things to work though the parents need to TURN THEM ON.

I am so sick of folks whining that what I ultimately feel is their poor parenting skills. They expect the cable and satellite companies to be babysitters for their kids. Some of them love to complaing about things but don't use the technology they have and dont want to take the time to learn how these things work.

I think we should all email Senator Boxer and ask him if he has better things to worry about instead of trying to add another useless technology that most folks will never take the time to learn or turn on. Take a look at the price of gas, take a look at whats going on in IRAN and IRAQ. There are more important things out there to worry about and that our senators should be working on instead of adding another useless lock when there are already locks in place which many do not use.

I hate to say this, but wow, just wow. I wasted a whole 5 minutes in reading this stuff. Now why would anyone want to pursue this issue? It will cost Dish Network money, in regards costing US Money. Personally the FCC takes away too much of our freedom anyways, I would love to see Family Guy uncut, South Park uncut, most of the shows where those words are funny. I mean honestly I wouldn't want to watch Dave Chappelle if it wasn't for his mouth, and I wouldn't watch the Sopranos if it wasn't so violent. I mean come on, stop limiting our freedoms, we pay our dues now let us be free!

Folks from where I sit, first off all TV's are required to have built in V-Chip technology.

Maybe I am missing something here but why require satellite companies to build in the same technology? Why pay twice for what you should already have.

In addition DirecTV and Dish Network (and AT&T Uverse and others) all have tremendus parental control features in them.

I am so sick of folks whining that what I ultimately feel is their poor parenting skills. They expect the cable and satellite companies to be babysitters for their kids. Some of them love to complaing about things but don't use the technology they have and dont want to take the time to learn how these things work.

I think we should all email Senator Boxer and ask him if he has better things to worry about instead of trying to add another useless technology that most folks will never take the time to learn or turn on. Take a look at the price of gas, take a look at whats going on in IRAN and IRAQ. There are more important things out there to worry about and that our senators should be working on instead of adding another useless lock when there are already locks in pplace which many do not use.

Scott this may be trival but Senator Boxer is a woman Senator from California who unlike other Senators trys to do what she believes is right.

V-chip technology is a requirement. Whether or not you see the need for it, that ship has sailed.

In order for that technology to work, there must be some form of guide data. The blocking can't be turned on without that info. E* only uses PSIP for channel identification, and willfully blocks their own guide data unless you pay extra for LIL.

For me, it's a money issue. For all I know, it may also be for the OP. How much consideration do you think his letter would get if it basically said "they're making me spend money"?

Instead, he has put the focus on a requirement, still debated but already approved, that equipment allow users some control over the type of content that is viewed. Yes, it's another "please won't someone think of the children" plea, but it's one that Washington has shown it is responsive to.

In addition DirecTV and Dish Network (and AT&T Uverse and others) all have tremendous parental control features in them.

I think we should all email Senator Boxer and ask him if he has better things to worry about instead of trying to add another useless technology that most folks will never take the time to learn or turn on. Take a look at the price of gas, take a look at whats going on in IRAN and IRAQ. There are more important things out there to worry about and that our senators should be working on instead of adding another useless lock when there are already locks in place which many do not use.

+1 :up

if dish was transmitting the channel it would be one thing. but instead the customer is simply using dish equipment at no extra cost to him to gain access to a local channel offered through local air broadcast. if you are unhappy about that, there are two options. pay dish for local services, or use another method to get your locals. i assume most people on this website are set up on the dishdvradvantage anyways, which includes your locals anyways. as long as you have the t200 are above, your really not paying for the locals. after all, if you only have the t200 with no locals and a dvr, you are paying 50.97 a month versus 49.99 a month for dda200.

It doesn't matter that they are not dish channels, dish is required to comply with the vchip rules the same as the company who made your tv does.

I do not sub to locals and just now configured the ratings on my box to only allow PG and nothing else. All of the local channels in my guide have a rating of NR/AO so every local channel tuned prompts for the unlock code. To me this is sufficient because your kids can not start watching locals unless you enter the code first. If you don't want to have do this then pay the locals fee. I knew full well dish charges for local guide info when I bought the 622.

Regarding the V-Chip I do not consider it an assault to free speech, if anything it helps protect it. Once broadcast TV finishes the move to digital tv there will just about be no receiver that can't enforce ratings and little justification to censorship since anybody can configure their tv to block the content.

good point kb7oeb on the fact that now tv should be allowed to get more extreme since there are more controls. and technically the v-chip does work with the ota tuner without local subscription. all that is required is for channels to be blocked if a rating of a certain limit is detected or to block completely if no rating is detected. According to the fcc website on the vchip where satellite tv and cable tv is concerned, it is stated that vchip service shall be compliant in their broadcast. and guess what, the channels that dish dish broadcasts is in fact compliant. your OTA broadcast is not dishes problem, or directvs either. Just cause the OTA tuner is there, it does not mean that dish/direct is responsible to provide you the programming data for SOMEBODY elses broadcast. so by blocking all shows that a rating is not detected on is 100% compliance.

oh, and the USB port is on the VIP recievers. so i guess since its already there, that should be free too. oh, and since your dish can see all the channels on 119 and 110 and whatever else, we shouldnt have to pay extra to have upper tier level programming. seriously, just pay the 5.00 bucks or sign of for DDA200 or above and save some money.

. . . I would love to see Family Guy uncut, South Park uncut, most of the shows where those words are funny. I mean honestly I wouldn't want to watch Dave Chappelle if it wasn't for his mouth, and I wouldn't watch the Sopranos if it wasn't so violent. . .
Gee! Where was this gentleman when my daughters were searching for husband material?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)