Openbox s9 Firmware

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I asked Openbox And they wrote back, (a good sign) I sent two emails about the closed captioning not working. I guess the next problem is to find the right people that handles the software for this box?

Thank you for your interest on our product,

For Openbox S9HD model, many companies can do it, including us.

But our main market only in East Europe and Europe, and we dont have the software for your market

Anyway, pls contact your supplier for the software, they can make the software too
michael@yojiatech.com

Seems like early in the year there was a response I saw similar to that one from the manufacturer. Somehow Jamal at Sadoun managed to get someone in China to fix the motor/switch issue early on. With the right software I can't believe that they don't see the potential market here in north america as well. Realistically I don't see a lot of the little issues with the receiver ever being fixed. However for the price its hard to beat....blind

I don't know what version of the firmware Sadoun has on his website because every time I checked, it wasn't a current version. The last time I did use one from there, it worked for me though.

Regarding the possibility of there being two versions of the HARDWARE, I think there must be, because some people have the time on their display when the unit is in standby and others (MOST) don't.

The last comment about the vendors being able to customize the firmware themselves is very curious. If the software development kit for this receiver is available to vendors, why can't it be made available to the CONSUMERS so that we can have what we want?

I started this tread and with all the contributiob of all and with the nos of file available every file I load into mine is always File mismatch
Is there a pc loader I can use instead of the usb.
Even the dump file I created when I tried to load it back after a factory reset it says file mismatch.
Help please

Who sold you the receiver?
These files should not give you an error if you have unzipped them before loading.
You would get the File Mismatch error if you were trying to load a file that was not designed for your receiver.
You can use a loader program to load the files if you have a com port on the computer and a null rs232 cable.

Once a receiver model becomes popular, every competing factory attempts to capture the market. Some of factories have no firmware development and only try to copy the hardware and make it compatible with the original factory files. Key hardware components are often released only to the originating manufacturer and the clone manufacturers must substitute. The original manufacturer then often implements firmware variables which may only work with hardware components that are specifically coded to be recognized or controlled.

A clone manufacturer may need to modify the firmware to make their hardware configuration function. Load another file into the unit and it is bricked. Try USB reloading the original file and it may not work because hidden files were overwritten. Often they only way to restore function is to reload the original firmware shipped with the unit via J-tag. This is not a file that you copied via the USB.

The OpenSat branded products, like any other OEM brand would not be sold directly from the factory. When a unit is not purchased from the OEM company or an appointed reseller, you may be purchasing an original from a broker/exporter or buying a knock-off which is either identical or at one point compatible.

Always be aware of the origin of any product that you purchase. The market is flooded with many products that look like the name brand, but many find out too late when updates don't work, seams rip out and watches turn your wrist green!

Last edited:
After some googling I found this comment on firmware that popped up this
month:
"It looks like someone started from the ALi base and did half the work. One of the MANY messed up things is you cannot load anything but a full flash once installed. No TP_PROG or any other files can be loaded. Several other things don't appear to work."
I've only used firmware from where mine was purchased and have not had
any of the problems posted. I would also be wary of some of the Ebay
purchases due to the same thing SatelliteAV refers to.

Then we need to back up and see what he flashed that flashed at the time...but now won't take anything else.
Or, did it come that way and where did he get it?

Mine comes tomorrow. Will report everything about it.

After some googling I found this comment on firmware that popped up this
month:
"It looks like someone started from the ALi base and did half the work. One of the MANY messed up things is you cannot load anything but a full flash once installed. No TP_PROG or any other files can be loaded. Several other things don't appear to work."

I saw that too, but I don't know what version he's talking about. I downloaded the new European version from the Yojia website and it works for me (no American satellite list, but I built my own a long time ago as soon as we got the ability to save and load lists.) Maybe he's talking about the American version from Yojia, of which I have seen other people say it's ancient.

1. press menu
2. go to tools
3. go to factory setting
4. press ok on yes
5. After reboot go to tools
6. go to upgrade by usb
7. press ok on start
8. now it says upgrade file is mismatch
usb device disconnected
it goes back to tools by itself
after like 10 seconds
usb device connected

note this is open box not sathawk

OK, back to your problem. Try a different USB stick...or format it. STB's can be pickey. Also try using the dumped file because you know it does work for your STB. If you can dump it and reload it...then try another one.

I had a 16 GB USB stick a friend gave me because he lost mine. Well it was nice...until your files were screwed up.

Turns out it was a 4 GB and it took me hours to figure out how to reprogram the controller in it to know what size it was and work right. On a PC the files were just not there. It caused the STB (Viewsat Ultra) to reboot when playing MP3's from it. In the car stereo it would just hang...for several minutes then finish the song.

SO, for real...no one has suggested a bad format or stick...cross your fingers and give it a try.

Well i am glad to report that i was able to upload a new file using the PC loader with rs232 I uploaded from a Pakistani forum and it worked fine. i was a great relieve to finally see the US satellite lists. the loader was a very tricky one so different from all other loader i have used before. thanks all.

Openbox S9 Rs232 loader.rar ( Openbox S9 Rs232 loader )

Well i am glad to report that i was able to upload a new file using the PC loader with rs232 I uploaded from a Pakistani forum and it worked fine. i was a great relieve to finally see the US satellite lists. the loader was a very tricky one so different from all other loader i have used before. thanks all.

Very nice to hear...as we all may face this someday!

Very Good!
I am glad that you found a way to load a file. Now you can try to figure out why the receiver would not load a file through the usb port.

Openbox firmware circus continues

I went to Yojia's website today and I saw that the latest version of the firmware is now dated January 10th. That's newer than the last one, so I downloaded it. When I unrared the file, the .abs file didn't have the date in the name as it usually does, and the modification date on it was from last year. I installed it anyway to see what was going on, and it turns out that the date in the version information string is October 20th! I can't tell any difference in functionality between this one and the one from earlier this month, so I'm wondering why they regressed.

I'm speaking of the general version of the firmware. I checked the American version that they offer, and it's still an ancient version as it was before.

There were no release notes for anything, as usual. The cardsharing sites all seem to have release notes, although I don't know where they're getting them if not from the factory, but they still have the version from earlier this month as the newest one, the last time I checked.

Oh, this gets better and better... I just explored some more of Yojia's site, and they're STILL committing the FRAUD of saying that the Openbox is a Dreambox HD workalike!

Well this is what i found them saying at that site. quote,). This receiver has all the functions of dreambox 800HD ; ?the best choice to replace Dreambox DM-800HD, in all over the world. end quote.ive also downloaded there newest so called file for the openbox and it shows that it was created march 25 2010.
go figuire, lol

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)