Opinion, please!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RichManitoba

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Madison, WI
My HR-54 is connected to the internet via my home Wi-Fi. About 2X per week, it becomes disconnected and I have to reset the receiver in order to reconnect. Our phones and tablets never lose the internet.

I've called both DirecTv and Charter/Spectrum and they're both blaming the other. Not a matter of dollars and cents, but I use the weather apps and scoreboard a lot.

What say you? Thanks.

My HR44 has disconnected once or twice in a year. Can you hard wire it?

I could. It would be a long wire run through 3 different rooms, but the problem is below this area, it's finished. Can't run the cabling under the rooms. I'd just like to know which company to pin down. New router perhaps?

I wish I had better advice for you. Perhaps a repeater nearer to the dvr?

First, check to see if you have decent signal at the recvr.
Us a wifi analyzer.

Second, why are you going thru the hassle of disconnecting the recvr ?
Just go to the Menu then Internet and reconnect.

If you have good signal there ... is the recvr in a entertainment center (doors possibly blocking signal ) ?
You could run it hard wired if thats an option.

You could try a broadband powerline adapter but running Ethernet is definitely the way to go if you're willing to crawl around the attic/basement do it.

I did and I don't regret it.

First, check to see if you have decent signal at the recvr.
Us a wifi analyzer.

Second, why are you going thru the hassle of disconnecting the recvr ?
Just go to the Menu then Internet and reconnect.
If you have good signal there ... is the recvr in a entertainment center (doors possibly blocking signal ) ?
You could run it hard wired if thats an option.

It won't let me connect when I go through that. It asks if other devices can connect, I click YES, then it gives me a phone number to DirecTv. Then I just reset the receiver and it automatically connects. The receiver IS in an entertainment center with glass front doors. My router has a 2.4G and a 5G option. I'll check to see which one it's receiving. If it's getting the 5G, I'll switch it to 2.4G and see if it stays connected. Or...I'll go to Charter and get a new router. :glasses

It won't let me connect when I go through that. It asks if other devices can connect, I click YES, then it gives me a phone number to DirecTv. Then I just reset the receiver and it automatically connects. The receiver IS in an entertainment center with glass front doors. My router has a 2.4G and a 5G option. I'll check to see which one it's receiving. If it's getting the 5G, I'll switch it to 2.4G and see if it stays connected. Or...I'll go to Charter and get a new router. :glasses
5g is nice for this type of stuff as it takes its signal from other area than what the rest of the house probably uses (2.4).
However, 5g is not as strong as the 2.4 and won't go as far.

Thats odd, I've never had that happen before.

I second the powerline option. It worked well for me for years. Another, more expensive option is to install mesh wireless such as Velop. I have a couple in my house and have unbelievable coverage.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)