Opinions of which motor to buy

Status
Please reply by conversation.
USALS is a licensed, two way communication (handshake) between the STB and the logic board of the motor.

"Go To X" is an unlicensed, one-way signal command and a partial implementation of the USALS protocol. The calculated offset from the motor's zero position command is issued, but the STB does not process (or the motor does not issue) the return confirmation of a USALS protocol motor position or operation mode.

Almost receivers and motors are only "Go To X" capable. Few are licensed or even implement the USALS protocol. Just because the STB or motor says USALS, doesn't mean that it is using the full communication protocol.

So, if I understand this right.....
If either, the motor or the STB has no license for USALS then they will only communicate only halfway with an partial USALS protocol.''Go to X''
If both, the motor and the STB has licenses then they will use the full licensed USALS protocol and communicate with an full USALS handshake.

the $64 question

For the two-way handshake to work, the receiver must do USALS, too.
Care to name any receivers so equipped?
(or some known withOUT, even old ones such as Coolsat 6000, etc.?) :)

What difference/advantage would an end user see if both motor & receiver implement USALS?

I have a 9120 with the 55mm tube and a 1m Primestar dish (heavy) with a MicroHD running it and it works just fine.
My dad has the same motor and a similar Primestar sized dish on an Openbox S9 and no problems with the motor on his. The tuner, not so much.

USALS can be partially or fully implemented in a receiver or a motor, but without product certification the USALS logo cannot be printed on the receiver or displayed in the receiver's OSD. USALS switched ON in a receiver menu only indicates that it is calculating and issuing a command to the motor to move to an offset position from the motor's saved zero position. Having USALS in the receiver menu does not indicate if the device is fully implemented.

Without STAB certification or logo it becomes an unknown if the product is fully compliant. The Lifetime Ultra factory firmware was fully developed and implemented and the microHD is developed for full USALS implementation. I am sure that other members can comment on other products.

Last edited:
I have a SG 9120 works perfectly with a HDmicro. But 9120's are no longer available from WSI. So only if a dealer has one in stock will you be able to get one. Just bought a DG 380 but haven't mounted and tested yet.
Bob

Kevin,

Just a note here on your point that I quoted above. I am located at 97.6°W / 41.6°N. With the DG-380 and the 1.2 M GeoSatPro dish, I am able to get Hispasat. The trick for me is that it is beyond the range of the USALS calculations and therefore I must manually dial it in using DISEQC 1.2 motor control. I wonder if the STAB HH120 would operate in the same manner.

But the DG380 from what i've read does +/- 80 vs the HH120's 65. My HH120 on my AZbox will go to 30W on USALS ok but not much more then I've got to push it via Diseq1.2 The OP is also @ 97W and I'm @ 81W that's why I mentioned my concern. Maybe my reasoning or math is faulty but better that than him spending big bucks on a motor that won't goto his desired satellites. Of course I don't know that the OP cares for any programming on 30W but that bird is a popular target.

But the DG380 from what i've read does +/- 80 vs the HH120's 65. My HH120 on my AZbox will go to 30W on USALS ok but not much more then I've got to push it via Diseq1.2 The OP is also @ 97W and I'm @ 81W that's why I mentioned my concern. Maybe my reasoning or math is faulty but better that than him spending big bucks on a motor that won't goto his desired satellites. Of course I don't know that the OP cares for any programming on 30W but that bird is a popular target.
i don't think i will be able to receive 30w in the location i am putting the dish i think the furthest i received in the location i am trying to put the dish was 45w i been out of fta for a few years so i not sure what is on the satellites anymore so if i can get 45w to 137w i will be happy for now

Last edited:
USALS is the easiest method with a properly installed KU-band dish and HH motor on a plumb and level post. The USALS calculation simply tells the motor how many pulse counts to move east or west from a center referenced "0" position.

If the dish, LNBF, motor or post is not mechanically correct, installation / product deficiencies can often be addressed by using DiSEqC 1.2 to bump the dish east or west to maximize the Signal Quality reading. The user may also find that the Signal Quality reading on a specific transponder may be improved by bumping the dish out of proper position and away from interference source such as adjacent satellite interference.

C-Band dishes with linear actuators or HH drives cannot be directly driven by a DVB receiver. Typically a controller such as a V-box or G-box provides the reversible 12 - 36vdc DC voltage required to move these larger reflectors, counting pulses returned by the motor and storing the motor positions. DiSEqC 1.2 is used by the receiver to communicate with the controller box, store and issue the position number of the requested satellite. The USALS calculation method cannot be used with the V/G-boxes as the offset pulses will be different for each motor and reflector.

DiSEqC 1.3 is not a protocol. It is an unofficial name for USALS.

Of the motors currently available that are suitable for moving a larger dish, I would rate the STAB HH120 as the best and the DG-380 as a second choice. Not that the DG-380 is not a good and reliable unit, but because the STAB products fully implement the USALS protocol and their products are superior build / quality.

The online spec for the Geosatpro 1.2M dish I bought from satelliteav says it needs a 55mm post. I notice that the spec for the HH120 motor is only 54mm.

Question: has the STAB HH120 been used successfully with that Geosatpro 1.2M dish? Does the 1mm difference between 54mm and 55mm not matter?

USALS is a licensed, two way communication (handshake) between the STB and the logic board of the motor.

"Go To X" is an unlicensed, one-way signal command and a partial implementation of the USALS protocol. The calculated offset from the motor's zero position command is issued, but the STB does not process (or the motor does not issue) the return confirmation of a USALS protocol motor position or operation mode.

Almost receivers and motors are only "Go To X" capable. Few are licensed or even implement the USALS protocol. Just because the STB or motor says USALS, doesn't mean that it is using the full communication protocol.

I looked at the wikipedia article on USALS. There is no mention of two way communication.

Question: Are you sure that USALS is a two way communication between the motor and satellite receiver?

Many members have the GEOSATpro 1.2M on a STAB HH120. I have mounted a half dozen myself. You will likely want to add a third U-bolt in the empty center position to add extra grab onto the HH120. I would also use a few strips of tread non-slip inside of the clamp to give the extra bite.

The STAB motors are fully implemented with a return verification. You will sometimes see the motor land then shift.

I can vouche on the HH120 as I own one sitting under my 1.2m dish (not geosat nor fortec) and has been moving it for 5yrs plus without any issues whatsoever.

20130510_151603.jpg

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
Many members have the GEOSATpro 1.2M on a STAB HH120. I have mounted a half dozen myself. You will likely want to add a third U-bolt in the empty center position to add extra grab onto the HH120. I would also use a few strips of tread non-slip inside of the clamp to give the extra bite.

The STAB motors are fully implemented with a return verification. You will sometimes see the motor land then shift.

I originally installed the Geosat GS120 motor with my Geosatpro dish from Satelliteav. I'd like to see Satelliteav selling replacement positioning motors. Thanks for the reply / info about using the HH120.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dish Align App

LNBF acting up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts