Opinions please: XBOX 360 vs. PS3

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I am considering getting a gaming system for the Home Theater. I never have been into games before but thought the latest offerings in these two with bluRay and HD DVD as well might be a nice programming alternative to movies. I already have HD DVD and BluRay players but no HTPC or other game box.

Are most games made for both PS3 and XBOX 360 or are they exclusive to the format?

There's been a few "xbox 360 vs PS3" discussions here in the video game forum. Since you already have a BluRay player, it comes down to games and online play. As Posty stated, there's few exclusive titles these days. Right now, I'd say 360 has the edge in game titles and online play. But I believe this is the year PS3 catches up. Great titles coming up and PS3's Home should hit sometime in 08. When BluRay is not a factor, it's a tough choice. Any ideas on what type of games you might like?

My ps3 runs better than my xbox. I like the xbox controllers better (they fit my hands better, have rumble, and you can change the batteries rather than having to plug your controller in if its out of juice.) otherwise i think they are about even.

PS3s seem to have a better reliability rating than the 360.

I own a PS3, and am very happy with it thusfar. I'd be afraid to get a 360 with it's red ring of death issue.

PS3s seem to have a better reliability rating than the 360.

I own a PS3, and am very happy with it thusfar. I'd be afraid to get a 360 with it's red ring of death issue.

It would be hard to have a lower reliability rating than a 360 for any product. At it's worst the rate was probably 30-40%. That said I read that models in the last 6 months are more reliable. I had one die which was a premium from September 06.

I have both systems.
I like the PS3 because of the exclusives, plus I am a PS guy since the old Playstation days, and I feel more comfortable with the PS controller.
Between the two system I like my PS3 better because of the exclusive games.
Xbox has only 2 games that I like a lot and that is GoW and Halo series, thats about it.
Where on the PS3 I like Heavenly Sword, Major League the show, Uncharted Drake, UT3, RFoM,Motostorm, I enjoy pretty much all those games...it has a wide variety of games that I love very much.
In a couple months the PS3 should be a great system for online gaming (messaging/Chat).
If I had to pick between the two, I would pick the PS3 for the exclusive games (MGS4,FFXIII, Grand Turismo,God of War, Uncharted, and many other games that are only exclusive to the PS)

The PS3 is the better bang for the buck.

I wasn't a gamer either when I bought my PS3 as a BD player, but it, and exclusives like Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted, made a casual gamer out of me. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Aside from game availability a few other things to consider are
1) if you get a PS3, it would enable you to move your standalone BD player to another TV now or in the future.
2) the physcial design and style of the console IMHO looks so much better in an entertainment center than the X-Box
3) the PS3 has built in wireless so no need to pay the extra $100 for the 360 wireless adapter if that's an issue with your in-home internet set up.

Good luck!

For gaming the 360 is a no brainer.

With the PS3 you're still paying a premium for the BD functionality because they aren't selling enough games yet.

More than that, and we'd need to know the kind of games you are interested in. As an Xbox 360 owner, if I wasn't going to use it for Blu-Ray in the future I would be very very disappointed that I paid $500 for a PS3. Having downloaded more than 20 demos, I'm closer to buying a couple of the arcade games (Rampart, Pixel Monster Towers or whatever) than I am of going out and buying any games at retail (though like I said elsewhere, I think Uncharted will be my next Gamefly/Purchase). Most who pimp the PS3 name things that are coming soon because as a gaming console it's not quite there yet.

The 360 is a proven commodity gaming-wise, and don't fret over the red ring stuff. The problems are with the initial production runs of the product, not of new SKUs. Several will tear this statement up, but in the end all that you need to be wary of is conventional hardware failure that any piece of electronics can fall victim too.

What kind of games are you interested in? In the previous thread this ended up not mattering because in the end they really wanted a Blu-Ray player with benefits, not a video game console. If you're eying a machine in part due to something like GTA4 (which has exclusive content on the 360), we can help paint a better picture of the pros and cons of your choice.

Here's how it breaks down:

For cross-platform games, right now 360 beats PS3 because people know how to program for it better (ask Rockstar, as the PS3 was the reason that GTA4 did not come out last year.) Or ask EA Sports, since the last Madden was 60 fps for 360 vs 30 fps for PS3.

For price, 360 wins because it is cheaper.

For games available, 360 wins since it has been out longer.

For media usage, 360 wins because of Xbox Live Marketplace and its ability to stream media directly to it (TVersity, Winamp Remote, etc.)

For expandability, PS3 wins because it is not propietary hardware, so you can upgrade the HD with ease. Do not forget that the 360 comes with a 120 GB HD (Elite models, or can be added later.)

For movies, PS3 wins with its Blu Ray capabilities.

For exclusive games, it all depends on which you enjoy more. If you liked many PS/PS2 games then PS3 would suit you.. or if you were more into Xbox then 360 would suit you.

There is no "correct" answer. right now I own a 360 and a Wii, but I plan on getting the PS3 once the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle comes out. If you want a gaming machine for right NOW then the 360 wins hands down. If not, then you should wait a bit and see how the 360 and PS3 stack up.

Good to see that you are a bigger trouble maker outside of The Pit, how is that possible?:D If you had posted this on AVS, you would have started a Fan Boi flame war and gotten banned for a week (I am speaking from experience here;)).

Anyhow, it depends what kind of gaming you want to do. If you want a hardcore gaming, with exclusive titles aimed at mature markets, then X360 is the way to go; IMHO the titles are better, the controller is more ergonomic, and XBOX Live is more developed.

On the otherhand: PS3 is more of a "media center" and gives you all the bells & whistles (a better value overall), as well is more likely to be somewhat future proof. The titles are more family friendly, and the system is more reliable and durable. The online playing with PSN is free, but you get what you pay for.

I have had both, and prefer the X360 as I want it specifically for gaming. When the price comes down on the PS3, I will buy one for my kids to replace thier PS2.

On the other hand, if you want something truly "fun for all ages", the Wii might be a good fit too.

Good to see that you are a bigger trouble maker outside of The Pit, how is that possible?:D If you had posted this on AVS, you would have started a Fan Boi flame war and gotten banned for a week (I am speaking from experience here;)).

Anyhow, it depends what kind of gaming you want to do. If you want a hardcore gaming, with exclusive titles aimed at mature markets, then X360 is the way to go; IMHO the titles are better, the controller is more ergonomic, and XBOX Live is more developed.

On the otherhand: PS3 is more of a "media center" and gives you all the bells & whistles (a better value overall), as well is more likely to be somewhat future proof. The titles are more family friendly, and the system is more reliable and durable. The online playing with PSN is free, but you get what you pay for.

I have had both, and prefer the X360 as I want it specifically for gaming. When the price comes down on the PS3, I will buy one for my kids to replace thier PS2.

On the other hand, if you want something truly "fun for all ages", the Wii might be a good fit too.

Almost agree 100% with ya.

If you have a Vista Ultimate or MCE box around the house (most computers ship with vista home ultimate btw) throw in a video tuner card and network it with the 360 and you have almost as many media options including a DVR.

And remember according to the source that broke the Elite story, MS will have a Blue Ray drive available about May.

Also Ice you missed some pretty big 360 exclusives there bro.

Mass Effect
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Fable 2
Jade Empire 2

Now if you want reliability. PS3 all the way. I currently have 4 Xbox 360s and 2 of them are at MS being refurbished. :D

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. Like I said I'm not a gamer so the idea here is to have game capability in a fine home theater experience for some younger friends, their kids to enjoy when they come over. However, if I had to choose, I would say any target practice or pilot simulator, even car driving would be my thing. Don't even know what is available. I don't think the online competitive gaming will ever be of interest to me as I really don't care for competitive games anyway.

Thanks for the tips on reliability and Xbox. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've heard that elsewhere too so it must be a wide spread problem with the product.

Don- Thanks for moving the thread.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. Like I said I'm not a gamer so the idea here is to have game capability in a fine home theater experience for some younger friends, their kids to enjoy when they come over. However, if I had to choose, I would say any target practice or pilot simulator, even car driving would be my thing. Don't even know what is available. I don't think the online competitive gaming will ever be of interest to me as I really don't care for competitive games anyway.

Thanks for the tips on reliability and Xbox. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've heard that elsewhere too so it must be a wide spread problem with the product.

Don- Thanks for moving the thread.

Closest you can get to flight simulator (including flight stick and pedals is ace combat 6 on the 360, not sure if PS3 has any)

For racing though you have a choice Forza 2 (comes with most 360s) or in a while PS3 Grand Turismo (spelling) comes out.

MS also has a Wireless Racing wheel available for it. I do not know if PS3 offers one.

But IF you do get a 360 make sure you buy it at a place such as Best buy and get the product replacement plan. Will make you so much more happy.

Almost agree 100% with ya.

If you have a Vista Ultimate or MCE box around the house (most computers ship with vista home ultimate btw) throw in a video tuner card and network it with the 360 and you have almost as many media options including a DVR.

And remember according to the source that broke the Elite story, MS will have a Blue Ray drive available about May.

Also Ice you missed some pretty big 360 exclusives there bro.

Mass Effect
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Fable 2
Jade Empire 2

Now if you want reliability. PS3 all the way. I currently have 4 Xbox 360s and 2 of them are at MS being refurbished. :D

All I see is some RPG there. (You are an RPG******, I see you playing RPG's every time I log on live..)
BTW am not interested on those games :p
FFXIII all the way, it will blow all those titles out of the water.
If you read my post, they are my personal preferences.

Closest you can get to flight simulator (including flight stick and pedals is ace combat 6 on the 360, not sure if PS3 has any)

For racing though you have a choice Forza 2 (comes with most 360s) or in a while PS3 Grand Turismo (spelling) comes out.

MS also has a Wireless Racing wheel available for it. I do not know if PS3 offers one.

But IF you do get a 360 make sure you buy it at a place such as Best buy and get the product replacement plan. Will make you so much more happy.

Or Costco if you have a Costco Membership already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)