Opinions please: XBOX 360 vs. PS3

Thanks to the knowledgeable and enthusiastic fellow at Best Buy, I was shown what I was doing wrong with the little keypad. I took mine into the store and he checked it out and it worked fine. Seems I was not snapping the keypad in place propperly. Got home and did it as was shown and it worked right off. Problem solved.
The guy at BB also said that the heat problem aka Red ring of Death hasn't been showing up much lately as it was. He also said the little snap on fans cause another problem of poor voltage transfer and did not recommend them. Said what I had done is likely the best solution.

Hooked up the steering wheel accessory and it is also a great system. The wheel has a vibration feedback and wheel drag feel too which makes the game more realistic. I don't know how they achieve this but if you do a spin out at high speed the feel gives you a sensation of actually spinning. A couple of years ago I did this video- a driver's education for Skip Barber and had to ride in a race car that did all sorts of stunts while shooting. The sensation of this wheel was very similar to the real thing. If any of you haven't tried this, I highly recommend it. Cost was $99 The only issue I had with it was the latency. It was just a tad delay but not like piloting a boat. There is a tendency to over steer and that may take a bit of getting used to.
Does anyone have this system on the PS3? I wonder how they compare.

Yes, the 360 has a high failure rate, but they are extending the warranties and repairing them as they fail. They have also made changes to the product that have reduced failures of the newer models.

Personally, I would expect one of my two 360's to fail before my PS3 for the simple fact that I use the 360's a heck of a lot more than the PS3. Like anything, the more you use it the more likely you are to have a failure.

You know... if you never turn on a light, the bulb isn't going to burn out.

Actually the "simple fact" is that older 360s will fail more regardless of whether they get more or less use. Your analogy doesnt really make sense because 360s die all the time and ps3s dont. But i forgot this is all about you, not the millions of people whose 360s have died and dont have 2 other systems to play. Personally i think the statistics speak for themselves and you speak for no one.

360 v. p3

divx,xvid,wmv,network to your puter,games,music.and all that through a non modded xbox.though i would say you would want a larger hard drive 20 gigs aint squat when the D/L starts and 3 yrs of warrenty for xbox :eureka

divx,xvid,wmv,network to your puter,games,music.and all that through a non modded xbox.though i would say you would want a larger hard drive 20 gigs aint squat when the D/L starts and 3 yrs of warrenty for xbox :eureka

i can do all of this with my ps3, and its easier for me to upgrade my hd form 60gb to whatever then it is for you with the 360.

i can do all of this with my ps3, and its easier for me to upgrade my hd form 60gb to whatever then it is for you with the 360.

Only need more than that because you have to install every game to the HD to make it run smoothly :p and even then get only 30fps most of the time :D

(sorry guys he threw down the challenge flag, :) he he)

Both!!!

Thanks, but I didn't really make that choice alone. Everyone's help here made, hopefully a wise choice for the first system. Maybe this summer, I'll add the PS3 too.

I'd recommend that course of action, Don, if you can.

As a pleased owner of both systems, I can vouch that they both have significant strengths over the other in very defined areas and, in fact, compliment each other quite well. I love them both for different reasons.

XBOX--Upsides: strong library of testosterone titles; XBox Live/Marketplace is fantastic (from online multiplayer to HD downloads, unparalleled); streaming media from both Windows and iTunes is slick. Downsides: weak 'range' in gaming compared to PS, imho; no built-in HDMI and, for now, only HD-DVD available as disc playthrough format; small and outrageously overpriced HDD system; noisy and runs hot; not the most reliable.

PS3--Upsides: well-deigned, runs quiet and cool; hard drive space is cavernous and easy to upgrade by comparison to others; HDMI and upgradable through software to advanced Blu-ray profiles as they release; if you get the 60/80GB you get access to lots of great PS2 content; very broad range of keystone games/gamestyles (from stellar platformers to shooters and RPGs etc); uh, I did mention, Blu-ray, right?; and the online services are free. The BIG pluses via online aren't even here yet--Home and Little Big Planet are going to be fantastic, just you wait and see.

In Summary--So, as an A/V enthusiast, I get great rental solutions with the XBOX and great disc playback w/ the PS3. As a gamer, I get the paragon of online and hardcore w/ the XBOX and the broadest range of gameplay with the PS3 (with the future holding some significant online treats in store for the PS3 as well).

Like you, Don, I bought into the XBOX 360 first, then a while later got the PS3. Aside from my 360 dying a month in (which, I'll admit, gave me pause--I'm not used to such in my well-researched car/computer/AV purchases), I haven't regretted either purchase at all.

As a pleased owner of both systems, I can vouch that they both have significant strengths over the other in very defined areas and, in fact, compliment each other quite well. I love them both for different reasons.

XBOX--Upsides: strong library of testosterone titles; XBox Live/Marketplace is fantastic (from online multiplayer to HD downloads, unparalleled); streaming media from both Windows and iTunes is slick. Downsides: weak 'range' in gaming compared to PS, imho; no built-in HDMI and, for now, only HD-DVD available as disc playthrough format; small and outrageously overpriced HDD system; noisy and runs hot; not the most reliable.

PS3--Upsides: well-deigned, runs quiet and cool; hard drive space is cavernous and easy to upgrade by comparison to others; HDMI and upgradable through software to advanced Blu-ray profiles as they release; if you get the 60/80GB you get access to lots of great PS2 content; very broad range of keystone games/gamestyles (from stellar platformers to shooters and RPGs etc); uh, I did mention, Blu-ray, right?; and the online services are free. The BIG pluses via online aren't even here yet--Home and Little Big Planet are going to be fantastic, just you wait and see.

In Summary--So, as an A/V enthusiast, I get great rental solutions with the XBOX and great disc playback w/ the PS3. As a gamer, I get the paragon of online and hardcore w/ the XBOX and the broadest range of gameplay with the PS3 (with the future holding some significant online treats in store for the PS3 as well).

Like you, Don, I bought into the XBOX 360 first, then a while later got the PS3. Aside from my 360 dying a month in (which, I'll admit, gave me pause--I'm not used to such in my well-researched car/computer/AV purchases), I haven't regretted either purchase at all.

All models of produced 360s now have Built in HDMI.

Just a heads up. My arcade unit (being used to replace my broken launch pro) and my Elite both have HDMI. :D

Don't forget about the built-in wifi on the PS3. Xbox 360 will set you back another $99 for the adapter.

Just a heads up. My arcade unit (being used to replace my broken launch pro) and my Elite both have HDMI. :D

Old or new, they still sound like a jet engine :).
I'd sell my 360 any day if M$ comes out with a newer system that is much quieter.

Don't forget about the built-in wifi on the PS3. Xbox 360 will set you back another $99 for the adapter.

If you add all the additional features the PS3 has over the 360, the 360 is way overpriced system than the PS3.

PS3 has Blu-ray player built in.
PS3 has blue-tooth (great technology)
PS3 has WiFi built in.
PS3 has free online play.
PS3 has great exclusives and more exclusives on the way.

Did I mention you can play blu-ray movies on your PS3 without having to buy a BD player?

Oh btw, the 360 might have 2 - 3 discs for GT4, since the whole game won't fit in one disc unless they cut bunch of stuff out, and the PS3 should have everything in 1 disc because of BD - Disc capacity.
Don't know about you, but I'd rather have 1 disc instead of 2 :).

Ako, you keep bringing up the 30 vs 60 fps difference..
There difference is minimal, barely noticeable.

You guys argue about all these features, while the person who started the thread talks about how much they enjoy things like the rumble included in the controller.... something that, like most good things for the PS3, is 'coming soon' and at a premium ($55 per).

The 360 is a great gaming machine.

The PS3 is a mediocre to ok entertainment experience until the games and supporting software are there to make it a great one... when that will come varies depending on your needs.

As a PS3 owner I am waiting for it to become great, but am disappointed that closing in on a year and a half on the market and things like rumble, a quality online experience (PSN interface is crap, but not a lot worse than the XBL one).

Clearly the OP made the right choice based on his replies and feedback, not sure why the debate rages on.

Last edited:
If you add all the additional features the PS3 has over the 360, the 360 is way overpriced system than the PS3.

PS3 has Blu-ray player built in.
PS3 has blue-tooth (great technology)
PS3 has WiFi built in.
PS3 has free online play.
PS3 has great exclusives and more exclusives on the way.

Did I mention you can play blu-ray movies on your PS3 without having to buy a BD player?

Oh btw, the 360 might have 2 - 3 discs for GT4, since the whole game won't fit in one disc unless they cut bunch of stuff out, and the PS3 should have everything in 1 disc because of BD - Disc capacity.
Don't know about you, but I'd rather have 1 disc instead of 2 :).

Ako, you keep bringing up the 30 vs 60 fps difference..
There difference is minimal, barely noticeable.

LOL, Not a Sony issue actually, I was just feeling awnry. ITs EA's poor porting ability.

But exclusives. It depends. 360 currently has the exclusives I would want to play.

When FFXIII comes out all bets are off though :D

As the OP, I'd have to admit I don't know enough about gaming with these things to know what to complain about yet. So, keep the debates rolling, just be accurate. I still plan to do the PS3 later. Not sure when. For now, my Samsung BD1400 works fine for blue ray disks and I now have so many games to try and so little time, I may be satisfied for quite a few months with the 360. I did pay extra for the exchange warranty as you guys recommended I do so I'm not too worried about the failure rate.

Couple questions, though- Doesn't the 360 use Blue Tooth too?

Wifi is nice but my equipment rack has a wired switch so I really didn't need it.

I'm curious about the Blue Ray player option for the 360 that is rumored in the works. We will probably hear more about that at CES2009. :)

FYI- the vibration feedback works on the steering wheel too, in case you all didn't know that.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any Blu-Ray options for the 360, I wouldnt expect them until the next generation of consoles (latest speculation has a new MS and Nintendo console around 2010). I expect the next MS unit to have a propriatary optical drive compatible with DVD technology (providing space, but circumventing license issues, and fight piracy) with a BD addon (to provide that option, minimize costs) or with an internal BD drive since in theory prices should be at a point where it wouldn't be cost prohibitive (see: PS3) to include the drive in the new console.

You'll want a PS3 later for the BD-Live features that are coming soon (notice that is said often speaking of the PS3) since your Sammy is only capable of 1.1 i believe? For the rest of the year and well into next the PS3 will likely still be the best/cheapest full featured BD player - got to be good at something.

As the OP, I'd have to admit I don't know enough about gaming with these things to know what to complain about yet. So, keep the debates rolling, just be accurate. I still plan to do the PS3 later. Not sure when. For now, my Samsung BD1400 works fine for blue ray disks and I now have so many games to try and so little time, I may be satisfied for quite a few months with the 360. I did pay extra for the exchange warranty as you guys recommended I do so I'm not too worried about the failure rate.

Couple questions, though- Doesn't the 360 use Blue Tooth too?

Wifi is nice but my equipment rack has a wired switch so I really didn't need it.

I'm curious about the Blue Ray player option for the 360 that is rumored in the works. We will probably hear more about that at CES2009. :)

FYI- the vibration feedback works on the steering wheel too, in case you all didn't know that.

I thought M$ denied the rumors about blu-ray addon.

Gotcha. Didn't know they'd made that move...Microsoft was very adamant for so long that HDMI wasn't 'necessary for a robust HD experience' that I'm actually surprised they moved the feature into the full lineup (figured it would remain Elite-only). Good to know though.

My replacement 360 will hopefully last me full through this generation--I don't see the merit of upgrading for a port config, esp. when the downloaded HD isn't full rez and HD-DVD is a dead format now. Still looks good, its just not 'the best it can be.'

Gotcha. Didn't know they'd made that move...Microsoft was very adamant for so long that HDMI wasn't 'necessary for a robust HD experience' that I'm actually surprised they moved the feature into the full lineup (figured it would remain Elite-only). Good to know though.

My replacement 360 will hopefully last me full through this generation--I don't see the merit of upgrading for a port config, esp. when the downloaded HD isn't full rez and HD-DVD is a dead format now. Still looks good, its just not 'the best it can be.'

I agree. The lack of a PC/VGA/DVI connection/port on a HDTV is more of a sign of a lower end HDTV rather than the sign of them fazing out the input and should be the case for quite some time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)