OPPO BDP-103/105

In day 2 of Directv recorded shows, and I can say Im not seeing certain artifacts I was before. Granted it will take more days to eval, but I think the Marvell is doing a better job than the Panasonic at accepting 720p and 1080i.

After a good week of DVR recordings (25+ hours viewed), with the 103 doing the scaling, it is my opinion that it is outperforming the plasma. I've been watching mixed 720p/1080i content from Directv, and those scaled to 1080p/60 by the Marvell, as opposed to the plasma accepting the Native 1080i/720p, are superior in appearance. This is not a feature I ever expected out of a Blu-ray player, but Im sure as hell glad they did it now.

One thing to report, there is a known bug with Directv and the Premium channels. With the extra security in place to prevent one from recording pay channels like HBO (HDCP), there is an issue where I get a "unauthorized" popup if I try and tune from say CBS to HBO/Cinemax/Showtime. Basically, there is a handshake issue between Directv and the Oppo, so Oppo has to work to improve that handshake with maybe in the form of a retry of the handshake, to get past this. Workaround now is, tune to HBO, get warning, change input on Oppo from HDMI IN to Blu-ray, then back to HDMI IN.

I'm still convinced the Oppo has improved by Directv PQ by handling the scaling to 1080p, vs what the plasma was doing.

My BDP-103 is on its way! Should be here in about 12 hours!!!

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

If you don't mind, Jason, I am going to split this thread and move the BDP-103 posts to a separate thread.

On FedEx vehicle for delivery!!!
I may have to swing by the house at lunch! ;)

The BDP-103 has arrived. I am playing with it right now. Love it so far!

Well, I am extremely happy with this player so far! I am still learning its features, but I am amazed with what this player can do and how well it does it.

I am not sure why I would even need a Roku stick. The 103 itself has pretty good streaming apps like VUDU and NetFlix (at 1080p and 5.1); the stick costs about the same as a standalone Roku and with the two available HDMI inputs on the player I no longer have a shortage of HDMI connections in my system.

It also has to go in the front and will stick out. It's a great option, and Im glad Oppo added the ability, but I would rather just have a Roku 2 I reckon.

I am not sure why I would even need a Roku stick. The 103 itself has pretty good streaming apps like VUDU and NetFlix (at 1080p and 5.1); the stick costs about the same as a standalone Roku and with the two available HDMI inputs on the player I no longer have a shortage of HDMI connections in my system.
Because no Amazon.

S~

teachsac said:
Because no Amazon.

S~

I mean, why use the Roku stick with the 103 v.s. a standalone Roku box?
I think I will just get another Roku box. And when OPPO adds the Amazon app, I can move the Roku box to another room.

Good news! I tried the SuperDisk mod on the 103, and it worked like a charm! My player is now region-free! It's for DVD only, but that's all I need: I have some old DVDs from other regions, that I was unable to play until now. :up :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)