Sony BDP-S6500 On the Way

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I pretty much only use my blu-ray players now for streaming/blu-ray, so the 103D as nice as it is, is a waste. I am thinking of selling it and putting that $$$ towards my sub fund. I have a 6500 (just released) on the way from Best Buy. Glad they did away with the weird shapes.

Sony_BDP_S5500_3.jpg

Curious to see how the new menu's look (hate the XMB), and it seems people claim it is faster than last years models. Ill do some testing as well as check test patterns with spears and munsil next week. If it works well, then Ill keep it in the main HT. I have a 2014 S1200 in the bedroom (ethernet only model) for streaming and love it. I wear Netflix and Amazon out, it is just clunky slow. So when I ordered the 6500 I also have the new 1500 on the way hoping it is a little faster. I tend to prefer these for Netflix over a standalone box because they output ycbcr instead of RGB (Roku) and they have the Netflix debug popup that shows you the exact resolution quality you are getting. From Sony:

BDP-S6500 Blu-ray Disc™ PlayerFlagship model with 4K upscaling function Available in early Summer 2015

• 4K upscaling and 3D capable, with Dual Core processor for fast performance
  • Outstanding Wi-Fi performance with superior wireless reception for streaming over 300 online applications and services
  • Miracast™ technology mirrors mobile device on compatible TVs
  • PlayStation™Now: Stream and enjoy PlayStation®3 Games
  • Full HD1080p Blu-ray Disc playback with 2D to 3D conversion for 3D compatible TVs
  • TRILUMINOS™ Display technology produces high-quality images
  • IP Noise Reduction Pro improves picture quality of streamed content
  • Quick Start/Load allows watching movies faster than ever
  • Easy access to Apps and functions with a new and customizable user interface
BDP-S1500 Blu-ray Disc™ PlayerStreaming through wired connection Available in Spring 2015

• Full HD1080p Blu-ray Disc playback
  • Easy, convenient streaming of over 300 online applications and services
  • Quick Start/Load allows watching movies faster than ever
  • Easy access to Apps and functions with a new and customizable user interface

You can tell they went PS4 on the styling, but I like em better than the drunk pyramids.

I took the tops off my 2014 models and these models, nothing new really. Sony video chip model numbers are similar, samsung ram, and a slightly different model number on the drive between 2014 and 2015. 1500 has same drive as 6500, 6500 just has more ram and a different Sony video chip (4K scaling I assume).

I like the new menu better than the XMB, but it can still use work. The 1500 is much faster than my 1200, so it will now be my Amazon/Netflix streamer in the bedroom. 6500 passes all spears and munsil tests I run just fine, as expected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)