OPPO UDP-203 4K Blu-ray Player

The pictures are better (can be zoomed somewhat) on the original website (www.flatpanelshd.com). Rebloggers should be strongly discouraged.

Looks like they're eschewing Dolby Vision.

I'm a little surprised to see the analog outputs limited to 7.1. Maybe they're saving up for a "high end" model.

I'm vexed by the HDMI input.

Here is the official image:

UDP-203.png

from https://www.oppodigital.com/uhd/

I'm a little surprised to see the analog outputs limited to 7.1. Maybe they're saving up for a "high end" model.

I wonder why also, the analog outputs (I believe true Atmos is 11.1 ) would come in handy with those that only have 7.1 receiver, plug the 7.1 analog cables into your normal receiver and the extra 4 into a couple stereo receivers you might have left around.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Rendering object-based audio, like Dolby Atmos within the player wouldn't be the best approach anyway.
The new digital audio paradigm is that you handle audio objects rather than channels and then render them to your specific speaker configuration. And the A/V receiver is a much better choice for that type of processing since it has detailed knowledge of your room and speaker configuration.

The new digital audio paradigm is that you handle audio objects rather than channels and then render them to your specific speaker configuration. And the A/V receiver is a much better choice for that type of processing since it has detailed knowledge of your room and speaker configuration.
This has probably always been the case, but you'll surely get a lot of push-back from those that firmly believe that analog feeds to their discrete amplifiers can't possibly be surpassed. Oppo is no stranger to pandering if there's money in it.

Looks nice, wonder if it will have HDR to SDR conversion. It would likely be one player if any Id trust to do that right.
At the price point , I wouldn't go overboard on expectations. Price competitiveness is blazing new trails for Oppo who is still asking $499 for their 3D up-converting Blu-ray player.

I would have hoped that SDR was part of the format rather than something that had to be simulated given the relatively high percentage of UHD displays that aren't HDR capable.

Well, it has the newest MediaTek chip as expected, Dolby Vision will come later as a FW update. Also has HDR to SDR conversion. They are building a killer right there. Bad news, no streaming at launch, they want to focus on the disc side of it for now, which I can't say I blame them.

I wonder if it could have a feature where you could strip HDR but keep WCG, sure would be nice and keep people from having to buy an HD Fury intergral.

So, according to the Forbes article:
  • Compatibility with all manner of disc types, including SACD, AVCHD, CD, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray and, of course, Ultra HD Blu-ray.
  • DLNA and SMB sharing over your network, as well as playback from HDDs up to 16TB in size.
  • Playable file types via the 32-bit DAC include AVI, MKV, MOV, M2TS/TS, AIFF, ALAC, APE, DSD (256 and 128 up to 5.1 channels), Flac and WAV. Plus, of course, there’s playback of the latest object-based home cinema sound systems, DTS:X and Dolby Atmos.
  • The UDP-203 does not currently support streaming apps such as Netflix or Amazon.
  • The UDP-203’s menu system is far more attractive and engaging to use than previous Oppo efforts.
  • Unique new OP8591 chipset designed with MediaTek to provide the Ultra HD Blu-ray world’s first full System on Chip silicon solution.
  • An HDMI 2.0a input, so you can loop through external 4K devices.
  • Future Dolby Vision support is possible, but not yet officially promised.
  • Goes on sale in November!

Reactions: navychop
Seems like a good player. If I didn't get the Panasonic for free I'd buy this one. Since I don't stream I've wanted a player that focuses on just disc's and not be bogged down with streaming.

Let's discuss it. Have a seat and a nice cool sweet refreshing beverage.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy Oppo again. I really need the SACD and DVD-A capability. And if I can get another year or two out of my current main TV, I'll be buying a UHDTV.

Oppo support has been outstanding and I'll gladly pay more for that. But who could complain about this price point?

Regarding the Forbes "review":

To suggest that SoC is anything more than a way of reducing costs may be going overboard; especially since the resultant cabinet is relatively large.

I'm also not buying the idea that comparative results can be confidently arrived at without a side-by-side comparison. The reviewer seems to cast it off.

At the current exchange rate, it should be around 385 pounds sterling, not 599. Will the Brits really have to pay the equivalent of $650?

It will be interesting to see if Oppo is managing expectations or they've flip-flopped about Dolby Vision. Technologies like Dolby Vision often require proprietary silicon.

If I buy a player this will most likely be the one. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to invest in 4K Blu-ray.

I am pretty pissed that I did buy a player since the vast majority of 4K Discs are up-converts (2K to 4K ).

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app