optical out audio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

john dusek

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2005
east bernard Texas
Noticed looking at new tvs,that most have only a optical sound output. Does anyone know which conversion works for a surround,Dolby optical output to a analog input. Have checked internet and found a lot of feedback about some not working properly. Have found one for $108,that sounds like it would,but would rather hear from someone who has tried and succeeded.

Why would you do that? Optical out is for Ant/tv out. Don't believe it will work off component or HDMI. And your Dish receiver has all the analog outs you would need. What are you trying to do?

I record from a CD to a type deck old radio programs. I play the CDs thru a DVD playback thru my TV(need TV for menu of CD) to an amplifier to a type deck.(use one of my TV inputs and the audio out on TV to amp and it is analog) That is the reason for the need for optic out conversion to analog. This setup works perfect on my old TV as it doesn't have an optic sound output. Thanks

Noticed looking at new tvs,that most have only a optical sound output. Does anyone know which conversion works for a surround,Dolby optical output to a analog input. Have checked internet and found a lot of feedback about some not working properly. Have found one for $108,that sounds like it would,but would rather hear from someone who has tried and succeeded.
Digital Coax Optical to Analog Audio Converter | eBay
That should work <$25.

Have checked out the Gefen(on Amazon) and reviews said it worked,but was noisy,so recommended the HDTVGTVDD2AA from HDTV. It seems it takes a special one to handle the surround and Dolby Digital. Price is double,but dont mind paying if it works. Can return it if it doesn't work. Not many reviews. Hope someone on board has used one. Thanks

The way I read the reviews, the "noise" came from DD 5.1 (from the TV tuner), which is not what you are concerned with. The cheaper one should be fine.

I have one of the ebay coax to analog converters and it works pretty good for the price.

I record from a CD to a type deck old radio programs. I play the CDs thru a DVD playback thru my TV(need TV for menu of CD) to an amplifier to a type deck.(use one of my TV inputs and the audio out on TV to amp and it is analog) That is the reason for the need for optic out conversion to analog. This setup works perfect on my old TV as it doesn't have an optic sound output. Thanks
Doesn't your amplifier (AV Amp) support re-assigned audio/video?

Unless your AV reciever is that outdated, your DVD playback.. can't that go directly to your receiver ... which then handles switching as needed, and redirecting audio in from DVD to the audio out "rec" for the tape deck? and Video out to the TV?

You can still feed HDMI (if that's whats coming out) from the DVD to the TV... and take the second Audio outputs from the DVD to the receiver for the tapedeck, or even direct to tapedeck... there should be additional outputs on the DVD player to handle second sourcing

post model numbers of your stuff we can look it up and see for sure..

Doesn't your amplifier (AV Amp) support re-assigned audio/video?

Unless your AV reciever is that outdated, your DVD playback.. can't that go directly to your receiver ... which then handles switching as needed, and redirecting audio in from DVD to the audio out "rec" for the tape deck? and Video out to the TV?

You can still feed HDMI (if that's whats coming out) from the DVD to the TV... and take the second Audio outputs from the DVD to the receiver for the tapedeck, or even direct to tapedeck... there should be additional outputs on the DVD player to handle second sourcing

post model numbers of your stuff we can look it up and see for sure..
What do we do with you, TG2???? READ the thread.

Last edited:
What do we do with you, TG2???? READ the thread.
I did.. the only thing is "analog" no parts / model numbers other than people recommending fiber to analog ...

When was the last time you looked at the back of a dvd player? ... every dvd player I've seen has both analog and digital outputs.. some even decode 5.1 for analog 5.1 to analog 5.1 inputs on receivers..

the simple fact that he wants video for the cd track/labels again is no problem... because there are usually at least two video options on all dvd players as well.. and the reason for the extra ports? ... because they want DVD players to be universally connectable to other equipment.. so the whole thing doesn't make sense... :p

I don't think you did... or else you would have gone on and on and on about what you felt Dish had done wrong... again.
Salti .. I'm sorry I have no clue what you're talking about ... if you're making a joke .. sorry but its completely missed by me..

I'm betting it would be a whole lot easier to hook up RCA cables to the appropriate outputs of the DVD player and go that route rather than involving the TV to do a conversion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)