Options for adding an external HDD to my HR24-500 receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tommy Tutone

Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Austin, TX
Hi - just got two new HR24-500 receivers and wanted to add an external HDD to both.

Other than getting a "media grade" drive....what else do I need to know?

Also, what is the biggest drive that the HR24-500 can support?

Thanks for all your opinions!

:welcome to Satelliteguys Tommy!
First, the drive has to have an esata connection. I think the largest drive that can be used is 3tb, but it may be 2tb. FYI, an external HDD replaces an internal, it doesn't add to it.

Reactions: Tommy Tutone
I just put a brand new 3TB drive in and got this error message.... rebooted 3 times and still getting this message. I'm assuming that I just figured out the HR24-500 can't support a 3TB drive????

I looked up diagnostics code 75-163 and it refers to the hard drive not working (I'm assuming they mean the internal HDD, not the external as it works fine when connected to several diff PC's)

20170724_160355.jpg

It is an esata, yes? If so, 2tb must be the maximum.

Sure hope neither of them have that much on them if they go bad ....
People load up these hard drive and bitch when they lose thier recording when a drive goes bad.

Last edited:
It would probably be against the terms of service but you could pop it open and replace the internal drive with the 3 TB.

It would probably be against the terms of service but you could pop it open and replace the internal drive with the 3 TB.
Maybe ....
What makes you think a 3tb internal is gonna read any better ?
The way I read it, thats what he did in the earlier post.

I don't think that will work. It's the software limiting the hard drive to 2 tb.

That could be. Although, I think I've read on that other forum that a member has put 3 TBs in some of his HR24's. I'll have to llok around over there and see if I can find the posts to verify.

As far as eSATA versus internal, it could be that the software/firmware will limit an eSATA connection to 2 TB while allowing larger with the internally connected drive.
--

Found a post that indicates the HR24-200 is indeed limited to 2 TBs internally.

The HR44-500 can take at least a 3 TB as that's what I put in mine.

That could be. Although, I think I've read on that other forum that a member has put 3 TBs in some of his HR24's. I'll have to llok around over there and see if I can find the posts to verify.

NOPE, HR2x's software limited to 2TB, internal external or net RAID.
One may put > 2TB in place but only 2TB can be 'used' by the receiver.
I'm not certain what the HR44, 54 or HS17 limits are but it is much more.
I have a Blue WD 6TB on a HR44 without issue

Doctor j

Reactions: keenan
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)