Orby DVR locking up

aaronmb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
NY
I have been having issues with the DVR not pausing or rewinding live tv.
After a couple tries it will lock up and go to a black screen, until I remove power and reboot the box.

This is my 2nd dvr, Orby replaced first under warranty when it eventually would no longer re boot at all.

Just wondering if others have had similar issues with the dvr?

I like the service, and can deal with the basic dvr setup for the price, but am beginning to wonder if I want to deal with this glitchy box much longer.

I want to support this service, they have what I need for tv at a good price. But keep getting offers from dish for about $60 a month with a $300 rebate.
I dont want to get into another 24 month contract, but the issue with this DVR us starting to get me thinking.

After a couple tries it will lock up and go to a black screen, until I remove power and reboot the box.

This is my 2nd dvr, Orby replaced first under warranty when it eventually would no longer re boot at all.

I like the service, and can deal with the basic dvr setup for the price, but am beginning to wonder if I want to deal with this glitchy box much longer.
Have you read the problems with the Hoppers? DISH isn't problem free but they have more history with DVRs.

Have you read the problems with the Hoppers? DISH isn't problem free but they have more history with DVRs.
I'm sure they have issues too.
I'd get the duo, older DVR, dont want hopper , but would make them thro in the oa tuner for it, as I realized 50% of what I watch is OTA, I get like 60 channels here.

I was a DTV tech for 5 years, the genie esp hr54 had issues, the first gen hr34 was total junk, and the genie 2 was a total piece if crap, but my old hr24's were good.
Just wondering if anyone else had same issues with the DVR?

I'm sure they have issues too.
I'd get the duo, older DVR, dont want hopper , but would make them thro in the oa tuner for it, as I realized 50% of what I watch is OTA, I get like 60 channels here.

I was a DTV tech for 5 years, the genie esp hr54 had issues, the first gen hr34 was total junk, and the genie 2 was a total piece if crap, but my old hr24's were good.
Just wondering if anyone else had same issues with the DVR?
What software are you expecting on the HOPPER DUO? it might be a modified VIP 722K but it has software to operate like a HOPPER and has similar problems. LOOK FOR A USED 211K RECEIVER if you want a basic receiver NOT A 211Z THAT YOU ALREADY POSTED FROM AMAZON.

So , It was not bad for a while, but now at least once a day the DVR feature just disappears and I have to pull power and reboot to get it back, I wouldn't care too much, but when I do that it's a long time for the guide to reload.

I hear what other replays have said, I know from experience that DTV newer dvrs can be glitchy, the genie 2 was a total pos, 1/4 if the time we would be back at customers house swapping boxes after the genie 2 "upgrade".
Guess I miss my roof hr24's, they were a bit slow, but mostly very stable, rarely had to reboot, like maybe 2 or 3 x a year.

I dumped DtmTV, because although I had been a customer for 12 years, 7 b4 I worked for Mastec Once my HSP account (employee acct) went away, I was treated like a customer with ZERO loyalty credits for discounts.
Paying DTV $120 a month for basic service with DVR was out if the question, since I had seen in notes on customers accounts discounts as high as $60 a month for 12 mo for long term cust.
So I got ORBY, and I'm happy except for the DVR keeps locking up.
Sorry long story

Yes, having similar issues. The DVR buttons stop working and the only solution is to cycle the power.

I am wondering if its a hardware or software issue?

Last edited:
I'm being sarcastic. But, What is DtmTV? I know DTV is short for DIRECTV. I have even seen people call it Direct tv but DtmTV - not getting it.

My 5 year old Genie HR44 has about 16 percent space left out of one Terabyte of space. It still works like a charm for a discontinued DVR. I have no idea why DIRECTV did this. I guess I "treat" my electronics "gently" or in a "gingerly" manner...

Gingerly - meaning:

In a careful or cautious manner...

Mine locks up when playing back recorded shows off the local antenna. Will probably make me return to Direct or Dish, it's that frustrating. Also, my TV picture will turn pink, requiring a reboot. The remote buttons are so small, it's easy to hit more than one button at a time. One last complaint, the renote won't lcok in your favorite channels. After hitting the Guide button, you also have to press the Fav button, every time. Not sure I want to give up the cheaper option, but I'm heading that way.

Sometimes my dvr locks up, but it never goes to a black screen. I have to unplug it and plug it back in. Sometimes it goes to a pink picture with no sound when I turn it on. If I unplug the Hdmi cable and plug it back in it fixes it. Or I can change the tv input and change it back, that fixes the pink screen too.

Mine locks up when playing back recorded shows off the local antenna. Will probably make me return to Direct or Dish, it's that frustrating. Also, my TV picture will turn pink, requiring a reboot. The remote buttons are so small, it's easy to hit more than one button at a time. One last complaint, the renote won't lcok in your favorite channels. After hitting the Guide button, you also have to press the Fav button, every time. Not sure I want to give up the cheaper option, but I'm heading that way.
I don't have the DVR version so I can't speak of it but the pink screen has been as issue for us on three out of four of our standard Orby's. It doesn't happen often, rarely in fact. We have had service for just over a year and I would say less than ten times between all three receivers that have have experienced the issue. Others have had the same thing happen and it was mentioned in this thread previously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)