Orby satellite TV antenna install. 38674 zipcode

bmj11

Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
US Mississippi
I'm bmj11 heh y'all . Sorry for typos I'm blind in one eye and not great in the other one. Orby is coming 8-14-2020 to install. I have a 85' run to get to west side of yard to get signal. I have a 4x4x8' treated post and concrete. I also have two sections of 2" top rail and a ultimate TV antenna.I have 250' quad shield rg6 cable and 2" PVC conduit. I want to place the post in concrete and have the antenna mast secured alongside the post. My signal is horrible only one station channel 12. L need some quick advice on whether this doable. I would like to do this before tech gets here Friday .thanks for your help. Maybe Tita nium could check in. I loved post on his install.t hanks bmj11

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Good luck with the install. A few points to consider.

The terrestrial antenna should be located as close as posdible. Terrestrial signals will be lost through long runs of coax.

Do not mount a satellite dish on a 4x4. The organic rings collect water and will twist with the humidity level, causing the dish to rotate off of the satellite with each wet/dry cycle. Use a metal post instead. Place a bolt through the bottom of the post within the cement to prevent the post from rotating in the cement.

The post for a terrestrial antenna could be set alongside the dish post, but will require at least one or two levels of guy wires.

What is an "Ultimate Antenna"? Link? Have you looked at the TV Fool website to determine what local TV channels could be received? The direction? Antenna height? UHF or VHF?

Reactions: Nita and N6BY
Adding too what Brian said above. I looked up your zip code. You are in an area that requires extreme measures to get OTA TV. Don't expect any miracles. Orby installers are only going to install a basic antenna, at a basic height. The install guy may help try to do some extreme set-up, but expect to pay him more money.

Reactions: Titanium
The Ultimate antenna is a home made UHF bowtie antenna sold on Ebay. By the builders claims, the strongest TV antenna ever made.

Last edited:
Thanks T. for answering post I was only thinking to use post for extra stability. I will use top rail for orby and use a 6" chain link fence post for antenna.A ultimate TV antenna is a old design bowtie that some people might call the cost hanger antenna. Guy named Danny Hodges builds and sells them on eBay has great YouTube channel.Im presently using a large 144" Channel Master antenna and it picks up good but large oak trees are hard to get signal when fully leafed out. My neighbor is grouchy and I don't think I would have enough space to put west of my house. The ultimate antenna is only 3'x2' and I could take my RCA preamp and run cable separate from orby. There room for this antenna,i can't get on antennapoint.com but my coordinate s iElevation 39.80. Azimuth 224.96031 skew 33.90 I would appreciate it you could look and see if I have any other options. I'm sorry for the long response but this took me twenty minutes to type on a 2 1/2"x 6" phone. Thanks bmj11"

Thanks. For answering my very first post. Yes, this is a challenging site. I have a very large antenna channel after with preamp and rotator gets most of Memphis channels an Jackson Tn. But once my huge oaks leaf out I have very poor reception. But still at night I get reception until a airplane flying from tupelo ms. To Memphis. I would move but do not have room west of trees. I preciate your help. Got any idea how todig for 2" PVC pipe without renting. Bmj11

Got any idea how todig for 2" PVC pipe without renting. Bmj11

Welcome to Satellite Guys! Do you, a relative or a friend have a tiller. If so, put the center tines on and it's easy to dig a channel for your pipe. I dug an over 100 foot long channel using an old Sears tiller. MUCH easier than doing it by hand! ;)

Reactions: rad360 and Titanium
The Ultimate antenna is a home made UHF bowtie antenna sold on Ebay. By the builders claims, the strongest TV antenna ever made.

The one channel you now get it Virtual channel 12 - actually a high VHF channel 9. The "Ultimate" antenna is a UHF - I doubt that it will receive the PBS 12. Channel 12 is listed as FAIR on Rabbit Ears site:
RabbitEars.Info

Good Luck,
Bob

FTA4PA Thanks for that idea my brother has a tiller and he said we would try it but I never thought about removing the outside tines preciate that. I will be going between oak tree and tractor shed but this will work. Great people here! BMJ11

Reactions: FTA4PA
Thanks Bob for the info. I didn't know about channel 12 being high vhf. Reception on 12 is easy. I could pick it up with rabbit ears. The ultimate antenna is real, I.placed it on antenna pole about 6' and pointed North picked up channel 7 good. Your right the antenna is basically a UHF antenna but will pick up VHF as configured, but he also has a VHF bar for a option
. ,I plan on making this bar for mine. VHF is a ***** but I've lived with it all my life. Thanks for the info.bmj11

Meh. I've always had the best luck with YAGI's with a preamp:

Reactions: Nita
Thanks Bob for the info. I didn't know about channel 12 being high vhf. Reception on 12 is easy. I could pick it up with rabbit ears. The ultimate antenna is real, I.placed it on antenna pole about 6' and pointed North picked up channel 7 good. Your right the antenna is basically a UHF antenna but will pick up VHF as configured, but he also has a VHF bar for a option
. ,I plan on making this bar for mine. VHF is a ***** but I've lived with it all my life. Thanks for the info.bmj11

If you would use this link and put in your exact address:

You could then post the link here so we could see the conditions AT your house. The site keeps your exact location private, but displays the correct information in the link.
Bob

Reactions: KE4EST
FTA4PA Thanks for that idea my brother has a tiller and he said we would try it but I never thought about removing the outside tines preciate that. I will be going between oak tree and tractor shed but this will work. Great people here! BMJ11

Glad I could help! :)

Tech guy thanks for the response. My present antenna is a 144" Channel Master it is a very good antenna.I can pick up all the channels that TVFool.Com says are available. My problem is seasonal. Mainly large oak tree in betweene Mr and Memphis Tennessee . I am adding a orby sat and have to get on the other side of these trees to see the orby satellite. I figured as long as I was behind these trees and had a good view to Memphis I should put a antenna back here while the orby tech was here, With the VHF add on I think I have a good shot with the Ultimate TV antenna. Either way the leaves will eventually fall off and the channelmaster will resume working. Thanks for the links and your help
I tried to go to that site rabbit ears but couldn't navigate around with this small phone. I have a tvfool report thanks bmj11

Hi BMJ11, on a quick read it looks like you might be thinking of using a 2 inch PVC pipe as a mast.

If that is the case don't! A 2 inch steel mast would be way stiffer and stable - will not move around with humidly and temperature changes.

You may be able to find a lighter gauge galvanized in the fence department at one of the big box stores.

SCH 40 pipe is another option but way over kill for anything less then a 90CM FTA dish with motor.

Hey delta_charlie , no I'm going with top rail for the orby mast and the ultimate TV antenna. I plan on putting mast alongside a 4x4x 10' treated post. Mayhap s it will work , Mayhap s it won't. Thanks for your help. bmj11

Just a quick revision, orb dish is not mounted in the 4x4" just the top rail mast, thanks to Titanium. Also, a shout out to fta4pa. Thanks man, my brother brought his tiller over and in thirty minutes fixed me a 80' trench. You were right on about it working. I had three brothers, but this one is golden. Today he dug and poured the Orby mast . Tomorrow he is putting up antenna mast
Later
BMJ11

Reactions: FTA4PA and Titanium
I do not know what people’s obsession is with mounting satellite dishes to wooden 4x4 posts.

You can’t fit a square in a round hole.

Seriously get a metal pole. Same used for Directv or viasat installs.

Also don’t expect anything above and beyond the basic install with Orby. The techs get paid less than $80, so be prepared to pay extra if you want a whole bunch of custom stuff

Hey Claude don't get your drawers in a wad ! If you would have read the revised post I posted 2 minutes after that post. You would have seen that I did use a metal post. Thus, the reference to Titanium. The 4x4 post is being used on a TV antenna. I'm using a metal pole braced against the 4x4x10' placed in concrete. Thanks for the reply bmj11

Reactions: FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)