Orby TV created to help Dish Network and DirecTV merger?

I think it more likely Orby was created by someone that saw a niche market with a good profit potential. It's existence wouldn't hurt Dish/DTV merger negotiations with the feds though.

Reactions: danristheman
I thought it was because DirecTV and Dish are phasing out SD channels, and eventually, satellite signals altogether. That would leave a lot of remote areas begging for TV. Plus, the low price would be attractive in more developed areas, too.

I thought it was because DirecTV and Dish are phasing out SD channels, and eventually, satellite signals altogether.
There is a distinct difference between phasing out SD channels and removing SD duplicates of HD channels. DISH has shown that they have a workable plan to make this happen with their Eastern Arc initiative. DIRECTV is still trying to figure out how they can use their satellite constellation without alienating a large number of customers that aren't prepared for Ka in their RVs, tailgate setups and homes away from home where the significantly larger dish isn't readily installed. DIRECTV has to figure out how to replace SD channels on 101 with HD channels. AT&T doesn't outwardly seem to be giving DIRECTV the time of day in this regard.

Its all about selling 5g
There is a distinct difference between phasing out SD channels and removing SD duplicates of HD channels. DISH has shown that they have a workable plan to make this happen with their Eastern Arc initiative. DIRECTV is still trying to figure out how they can use their satellite constellation without alienating a large number of customers that aren't prepared for Ka in their RVs, tailgate setups and homes away from home where the significantly larger dish isn't readily installed. DIRECTV has to figure out how to replace SD channels on 101 with HD channels. AT&T doesn't outwardly seem to be giving DIRECTV the time of day in this regard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Ironic if they did merge in this case would be better for consumer (the ones law is supposed to protect) one company with more potential customers for third party (content providers) to negotiate, and they can't pit one against the other with you will never get such and such channel with them only us.

Ironic if they did merge in this case would be better for consumer (the ones law is supposed to protect) one company with more potential customers for third party (content providers) to negotiate, and they can't pit one against the other with you will never get such and such channel with them only us.
That only works if you don't allow carriers to own content. The NBC-Comcast merger and the recent AT&T acquisition of Time-Warner blow that to smithereens.

I like the fact NO Sports the price is cheap too.
While that has been widely reasoned, I would speculate that Orby is not making money yet (unless they have a secret angel investor). What it takes to shake that money loose and reach the economies of scale necessary to be competitive remains to be seen. Apple is one of the few companies that can run on big margins and buzz and Orby isn't Apple.

I stand corrected. DirecTV said they had launched their last satellite.
I believe most satellite and cable providers are not expecting subscribers after the next 15 years. I do not have much confidence in broadband as a primary TV service. Way too many things that go wrong on networks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I believe most satellite and cable providers are not expecting subscribers after the next 15 years.
While they may not be serving up much QAM, they'll still be selling TV to those who can't put up antennas -- even if it is just locals.

I see a future where the old-school carriers get into reselling pay OTT TV packages along with locals (not just a few of the locals but all the locals).

I see no future for in-home DVRs other than for OTA for those who can receive it. TiVo will wither and die. The only question is whether they extend a bit by figuring out how to wring something out of ATSC 3.0. Tablo may have a marginally better chance as I'm guessing that their business plan never contemplated pay TV recording. I see a lot of pressure coming from bigger companies with deeper pockets running more vanilla Android TV boxen (i.e. Amazon) in the OTA DVR marketplace.

While they may not be serving up much QAM, they'll still be selling TV to those who can't put up antennas -- even if it is just locals.

I see a future where the old-school carriers get into reselling pay OTT TV packages along with locals (not just a few of the locals but all the locals).

I see no future for in-home DVRs other than for OTA for those who can receive it. TiVo will wither and die. The only question is whether they extend a bit by figuring out how to wring something out of ATSC 3.0. Tablo may have a marginally better chance as I'm guessing that their business plan never contemplated pay TV recording. I see a lot of pressure coming from bigger companies with deeper pockets running more vanilla Android TV boxen (i.e. Amazon) in the OTA DVR marketplace.
I hope not. I for one, love Dish and the Hopper. Streaming maybe for some, but the internet where I live was down, and even though it is back up, my Modem is still acting wacky

All they need to do is go MPEG4 and put all the significant HD feeds at 101.

All the PPV, sports, and other garbage channels they can leave on 103/99

But they can’t do anything till they get rid of all the SD equipment.

If Directv wanted to get this done they would be more focused on receiver, then antenna upgrades.

They need to get rid of all the SD equipment first and convert to MPEG4 first.

Once everyone is on MPEG4, then start removing the SD feeds.

If they kept about 100-150 of the main channels like ESPN, Fox News, HBO and discovery on 101, they wouldn’t piss off all the campers and tail gaters.

The SD feeds needs to go away