Orby TV DVR STB

IntelPennny4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
USA
hey everyone wanted to know if anyone knows what size the hard drive is on the DVR? and also wanted to know how many tuners it has. i know it has to have at least 2 because you need one to record and one to watch TV when recording. im also wondering if the hard drive is a 3.5" or a 2.5" aka laptop and if it could be upgraded to a bigger size say like a 2TB. thanks

hey everyone wanted to know if anyone knows what size the hard drive is on the DVR? and also wanted to know how many tuners it has. i know it has to have at least 2 because you need one to record and one to watch TV when recording. im also wondering if the hard drive is a 3.5" or a 2.5" aka laptop and if it could be upgraded to a bigger size say like a 2TB. thanks

You are going to have to call ORBY and ask them. Nobody here has one of those yet to my knowledge. It may also only have a single tuner.

i did some more reading on there website and seen its a 500gb but i will end of finding out i bought both units should be here soon. ill post back and take pictures to see if its possible to do the ungraded hard drive for more space. that is if anyone is wanting to know

i did some more reading on there website and seen its a 500gb but i will end of finding out i bought both units should be here soon. ill post back and take pictures to see if its possible to do the ungraded hard drive for more space. that is if anyone is wanting to know

I'll be anxiously waiting a review on the DVR. Main question is - does it do name based recording and only allow for new episodes to record?

Good point, most standard dvr devices are 500GB minimum, so it makes sense that this one would most likely also be that.

well here the pictures i said i would take for yous. so it looks like the hard drive only runs on 5 volts and also the hard drive can be upgraded to a 1TB for around $41 or so. ill have to buy and test that and will get around to doing that for yous. if anyone wants or would like to know let me know and ill buy and install and test. if anyone else wants to know anything else let me know thanks

Attachments

• Image-2.jpg
    Image-2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 883
  • Image-3.jpg
    Image-3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 951
  • Image-4.jpg
    Image-4.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Image-5.jpg
    Image-5.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 983
I would be tempted to yank that Toshiba for a WD blue or black. The vast majority of drive problems I've dealt with for folks over the past few years have been those Toshiba drives.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Based on what I'm seeing it appears there is only one receiver and the DVR is simply a harddrive added into that box. That sound right? Does that mean it's possible to install your own drive?

I'd expect some firmware differences between the two receivers...
I would expect not. Maintaining multiple firmwares for essentially identical hardware (plus or minus mass storage) is fraught with a danger of "forking" where the fundamental software may diverge.

Most of the cheap TV tuners that have DVR features don't require different firmware if mass storage is connected (be it hard disks or flash drives) so I would expect a similar situation in satellite receivers.

well here the pictures i said i would take for yous. so it looks like the hard drive only runs on 5 volts and also the hard drive can be upgraded to a 1TB for around $41 or so. ill have to buy and test that and will get around to doing that for yous. if anyone wants or would like to know let me know and ill buy and install and test. if anyone else wants to know anything else let me know thanks

So, before any more speculation posts about the basic receiver and the dvr receiver actually being the same, with the only different being an internal drive in the dvr receiver:

IntelPennny4, do the receivers appear to be the SAME from the outside? Or are they obviously different models?

I would expect not. Maintaining multiple firmwares for essentially identical hardware (plus or minus mass storage) is fraught with a danger of "forking" where the fundamental software may diverge.

Most of the cheap TV tuners that have DVR features don't require different firmware if mass storage is connected (be it hard disks or flash drives) so I would expect a similar situation in satellite receivers.

Don't think it as easy as you say. The cnx mini took a while to get firmware changed to allow recording from their usb port.

Also the shaw direct 605 was promised recording from their usb port. Never happened. They couldn't get it working properly after two years and ended up dropping production of the receiver.

Firmware is different to allow these new features. Agree with NYDutch

Catamount

My Non DVR ORBY TV receiver is completely different. Maybe 3 models in distribution? Note that mine does not have ORBY printed on the PCB. Likely an earlier hardware version? See attached photo.

View attachment 136962

Model: KSTB2095
So if you wanted to add the DVR later you'd have to buy another receiver and the original box becomes a paperweight? As a business model that wouldn't make a lot of sense. Making a single box that could be upgraded would be much more cost effective. If I'm going to test drive the system I'm not going to invest in a DVR up front and if I decide I like it I'm not footing another bill to buy a whole new receiver. That's just silly.

So if you wanted to add the DVR later you'd have to buy another receiver and the original box becomes a paperweight?

A lot of supposition and speculation for something that none of us know for fact.... :coco Guess that is what makes forums fun? Let me get offended by something that is unknown... LOL

It makes a lot of sense that only one hardware model is produced like IntelPennny4 received with the add being a HDD. Anyone want to call and ask or is it more fun to postulate over the unknown? :confused:

Reactions: IntelPennny4
Keep in mind that Orby charges extra for a DVR account, and the DVR receiver has two tuners instead one. They need a way to manage that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)