Ordered new remotes...this was my experience

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

doc000

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Texas
Let me make clear before I start, my interaction with Dish concerning this matter was not the problem. The customer rep I spoke with was courteous and promptly resolved my issue. However, because Dish is invovled in this process, I feel it's necessary to share my experience.

On Tuesday of this week, I called Dish because both remotes for my receiver had reaced the point where most of the buttons barely worked and it was simply time to replace them. I called Dish, and as I said, the rep I spoke with promptly resolved my issue and ordered the new remotes. That was in the morning...that afternoon, they had shipped, via UPS.

The rep had informed me that they most likely would arrive on Thursday, which the UPS tracking info verified. And this is where the bad part starts.

The UPS tracking site said that the remotes were out for delivery on Thursday morning. Just after lunch, I happened to hear what sounded like a large truck stopping outside the house (the house is about 50-60 yards from the road). I live out in a rural area, so it's very easy to hear trucks driving by and stopping.

I looked outside and saw a large, yellow, Penske rental truck parcked at the start of my driveway. I could see the driver moving around in the cab. He then hopped out, walked over to my mailbox, tossed something into some tall grass near the mailbox, got back in his truck, and drove off.

I walked up to the mailbox and started looking through the grass, and sure enough...there were the boxes for the two remotes I had ordered. Let me be clear: had I not witnessed this, I would never have even known the boxes were there because they were tossed into an area that was hidden by grass. I have never considered looking in that area for deliveries.

I don't know what happened with UPS, or how they ended up on a rental truck, or why the driver felt the need to toss the packages into the grass instead of putting them in the mailbox (which was large enough to hold them). I understand that Dish was most likely not responsible for HOW the remotes were delivered, but I feel that it does reflect poorly on them that this happened. I just felt that I needed to share my experience and let other Dish customers know something like this did happen.

The packages were not left in the mailbox because it is illegal to place anything in the box except valid US mail. When I get deliveries, UPS, FedEx, Amazon, there are about 26 yards from the street to my front door. Packages are left on the front porch all the time. I have a friend who has a large property in a rural area and his front porch is uphill about 250 yards from the road. delivery vehicles go up his driveway to place packages at the front door. You’re right, DISH did what it was supposed to do. UPS is at fault here. I’d take the matter up with them. Did you get any kind of delivery notice?

Last edited:
The tracking info at UPS's site should have some form of proof of delivery, such as a statement saying where the package was left. It would usually be something like "left at front door / porch." I would be curious to know what it says for this particular delivery. I doubt they have a button to push that would automatically enter "tossed in grass near mailbox." :biggrin

There was no notice of delivery of any kind (physcial or email).

The only thing the tracking site says is "Left at: Gate". I have neither fencing nor a gate.

Reactions: pattykay
There was no notice of delivery of any kind (physcial or email).

The only thing the tracking site says is "Left at: Gate". I have neither fencing nor a gate.
Then I would contact UPS and ask them to explain how your package/s were left at a non existent gate. I would inform them that the package was left in tall grass and could easily have been overlooked. If the driver deemed it too much to walk or drive the package 60 yards to your porch he could have just as easily leaned them against the mailbox post. What happened is totally unacceptable.

Reactions: joegr and DWS44
I guess you would have preferred for UPS to send a mail message that you could drive to a not-so local office and pickup your shipment. If you live in more remote areas, you have to make provisions for leaving shipments.

I guess you would have preferred for UPS to send a mail message that you could drive to a not-so local office and pickup your shipment. If you live in more remote areas, you have to make provisions for leaving shipments.

I've never once had that sort of issue with UPS. They have ALWAYS driven down (in an actual UPS truck, not a rental truck) and either delivered the package face to face or left it on my porch (if I wasn't home). In the rare instances that chose not to leave it if I wasn't home, they would leave a note asking me to arrange a delivery time. That goes for USPS and FedEx. This was the first time I've seen them just toss the package(s) and drive away.

Honestly, I was ready to scream at someone yesterday when it happened, but didn't have time to deal with it then. By today, since I did in fact get the remotes (thankfully), I'm over it. I don't know if it had anything to do with Covid-19 or something else, but it's done and over with and yelling at someone now won't change anything. For UPS, it'll just be one complaint about a delivery, and most likely the driver will never even hear about it. I just wanted to share my experience and vent a little.

So as a result of the pandemic, delivery companies are ridiculously busy. Think the holidays for three straight months w/o the proper staff. The use of a rental truck indicates they ran out of trucks. The truck was most likely driven by someone unfamiliar with the route. Did he or she do a poor job of delivering your package? Absolutely, but this is all well out of Dish’s control. Thankfully your remotes were delivered as they said they’d be. Your welcome to contact UPS regarding your dissatisfaction but you’ll probably have to navigate countless menu prompts before you talk to anybody and in all honesty, they probably don’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

UPS has screwed up my last two orders. Took almost two weeks to get a package from the other side of town that was supposed to be next day delivery. They sent a Xfinity receiver from Aurora, CO ( 25 miles away) to Englewood, CO (10 miles away) where it sat four days. Then to Salt Lake City (530 miles away) and back to Englewood (10 miles away) where it sat another four days, then finally to me. In the meantime I went to my Xfinity store and picked one up.

Another order from Best Buy came two days after I got the "by end of day" notification.

They seem to be a mess right now.

UPS is outsourcing like the rest of the delivery company's.. Recently bought wife a new sweeper directly from Bissell..UPS tracking number all the way up to delivered..I was mowing the yard when a old Chevy Caprice pulled in and a man I believe from Nigeria...no USP uniform...handed me a box from his back seat.. I'm thinking What the heck???

I understand that Dish was most likely not responsible for HOW the remotes were delivered, but I feel that it does reflect poorly on them that this happened.
While I agree businesses are generally responsible for the contractors they hire, I don't think this incident reflects poorly on Dish for a second, much less are they responsible for how the remotes were delivered. I'm guessing if you never found the box, after a day or so, you call Dish, tell them you never received them, and they ship you new ones.

Reactions: joegr and pattykay
Assuming it was a UPS employee making the delivery, the use of a Penske truck isn't uncommon. They either didn't have enough brown trucks for delivery or they had mechanical issues and needed a replacement.

UPS is outsourcing like the rest of the delivery company's.. Recently bought wife a new sweeper directly from Bissell..UPS tracking number all the way up to delivered..I was mowing the yard when a old Chevy Caprice pulled in and a man I believe from Nigeria...no USP uniform...handed me a box from his back seat.. I'm thinking What the heck???
I think he was a porch pirate that he got from some one down the street.:)

While I agree businesses are generally responsible for the contractors they hire, I don't think this incident reflects poorly on Dish for a second, much less are they responsible for how the remotes were delivered. I'm guessing if you never found the box, after a day or so, you call Dish, tell them you never received them, and they ship you new ones.
One time, Dish sent one of my replacement remotes to the wrong address. I caught it in the tracking information as soon as the package was shipped, and I called Dish to tell them about it, hoping that they could re-route the package to me. Instead, they shipped me another remote. Then, I called UPS with the tracking number for the original package, and had them hold it for me at the local warehouse for me to pick up. Thanks to Dish's mistake, I got a bonus remote, and I got it the same day that my other remotes were delivered.

Reactions: TheKrell
Drivers are concerned about rural long driveways and fenced yards that may contain mean dogs trained to be mean. I do not blame them, since I was attacked by a trained pit bull and almost had my arm chewed off. Keep your muts on a leash. Also, it is illegal for anyone to use the mailbox, except the mail carrier.

Reactions: papachops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)