Ordering Direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

River Hill

Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
After much research I have decided to order Direct TV. The one thing I have not determined is it better to order through a reseller or directly? Are there benefits of one over the other? Also I would like to purchase a second dish so I can mount it on my Camper that is in my backyard, so that is something I would want to do at the same time. I can install that myself, but I would want the main dish and receivers installed.

I have always gone through Directv, don't know why a reseller would be better. Maybe someone who has ordered that way will tell us.

Deals are usually best through D* directly. Ous sponsor Plasma concepts has a good deal with an extra 100 rebate too right now.

After your install, you can buy a single LNB (SD only) dish with tripod for 49.00. They ship it to you for camping, they call it their emergency restoration kit.

I see a bunch of used dish's on ebay and craigslist. I guess that would be my best option for the 2nd dish?

How hard is it to align a single LNB Dish?
Pretty easy. Get your azimuth and elevation from the receiver based on zip code, set the elevation angle on the dish, plumb the pole on the tripod, aim the dish to the correct azimuth, fine tune and watch TV. I take a triple-LNB dish to the race track with me every weekend and can normally have it up and running in 3 to 5 minutes, and that requires playing with skew. A single LNB dish is a bit easier.

I purchased a DirecTV disaster recovery kit from DirecTV (It was only $40) and it consisted of a sturdy tripod and a single LNB Dish.

Total time to set it up was under 6 minutes. :)

A single LNB Dish is VERY easy to install.

You guys have me thinking, which is not a good thing. Lets say I get the single LNB dish and decide to take it camping with me, but want to watch the local news in the area I am camping. Is there a way to program the receiver to get the local channels to where I am, instead of where I live?

For example, if I live in Baltimore but go camping in SC and I want to watch the local SC news is it possible?

Locals are on spotbeams, so that type of distance you would not receive your locals. You could try a basic antenna while camping though.

Jason,

So changing the zip code in the transmitter won't work? How about if I called Direct TV and told them I was camping for the weekend, do you think they could change it?

Jason,

So changing the zip code in the transmitter won't work? How about if I called Direct TV and told them I was camping for the weekend, do you think they could change it?
DirecTV technically has a requirement that an RV receiver must be on its own separate account. I'd not want to tell them what you're up to. In general, if you're camping in a different DMA using one of your home receivers, don't expect locals.

Choosing either Directv or a reseller probably depends on the required location of the dish. We just upgraded to the 5 lnb and had to go through a local reseller because Directv refused to replace our dish in its current location - 5' tripod, 2 1/2 stories up. (We are in the NE so trees are a problem).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts