Orion Cooker

I've been following this thread since I purchased my Orion a month or so ago. I had a friend who bought one and told me it was the greatest thing in the world. I think I agree. Great product. Also, really good information here. I've done brisket, chicken, ribs, and pork roast on this thing and they've all been great. It's also really nice to be able to call Christian and get his opinion on things.

I'm sort of at the point of tweaking and experimenting things with this and I want to keep this going so that we can all compare notes. My experiment today is with the coals. Dropping $8 for a bag of Matchlight is OK if necessary but if something else can be used it would be better. I went to the opposite extreme today. I'm trying cheap WalMart generic coals. About $4.50 for an 18 lb. bag I gave them about a 1/2 hour lead before putting on ribs. I have a pork roast going on after the ribs. I only used about half the bag so I'll probably have to re-stoke periodically.

Anyway, I've used and appreciated the information I've gotten here look forward to future guidance.
:welcomeTo SatelliteGuys! I have been using the regular Kingsford Charcoal 18 lb bags with Wally World starter fluid from the get-go... cost per coal has got to be way down from the inflated Matchlite price's...

:welcomeTo SatelliteGuys! I have been using the regular Kingsford Charcoal 18 lb bags with Wally World starter fluid from the get-go... cost per coal has got to be way down from the inflated Matchlite price's...

We are using the same; 18 lbs bags of Kingsdord from Sams Club (buy 2 at a time in one shrink-wrap). Only did the Matchlite once.

I just got a charcoal chimney yesterday because the lighter fluid just wasn't getting it done in the wind. I may just use that instead of lighter fluid. I never realized a chimney would get the coals that hot...

Decali:
What are your thoughts on rubs, marinades, etc. for briskets? The wife picked up a chicken today, will do that this week...

I just got a charcoal chimney yesterday because the lighter fluid just wasn't getting it done in the wind. I may just use that instead of lighter fluid. I never realized a chimney would get the coals that hot...

Decali:
What are your thoughts on rubs, marinades, etc. for briskets? The wife picked up a chicken today, will do that this week...

How do you get it from the chimney (which we use for the Weber smoker) to the Orion. Sounds dangerous.

...Decali:

I don't really have any pearls of wisdom in that area. I was more of a steak, hamburger, pork chop griller until I bought this thing. I did the apple cider vinegar marinade on the brisket that I cooked and it was fine. I also used a rub before cooking. I don't know much about this so I'm not sure if the vinegar is for tenderizing or flavor or both but I'm one of those who likes to drown everything in sauce anyway so if it's for flavor, I'm not sure I needed it. I've been using a pre-made rub and have been tweaking it a little here and there. I can't really say that my additions have made much of a difference but it's all been good.

I'm still amazed by how idiot proof this thing is. I see some variables with cooking times based on size and that's been my biggest concern. I've cooked baby back ribs, beef ribs, brisket, chicken and pork spareribs and they were all really good. The babybacks got the 1:10 and I gave the larger ones 1:45. All done but not overdone. Pork tenderloins and chicken were also good. The 7 minute per pound of poultry rule seems to be about right.

I called Christian about the brisket before I tried that. It was 9 lbs. and he recommended 2.5 hours. I thought that seemed pretty short but he was right on the money with it.

My ultra cheap-charcoal experiment this weekend basically told me that anything will work. My MegaLow Mart brand worked but seemed to take a little while to get going.compared to the Matchlight. I gave it about a half hour head start before adding the meat but it worked fine.
I used about half to two thirds of an 18 lb. bag for ribs and a 4 lb. pork
tenderloin. Plenty of heat. Next time I'll try a name brand for comparison and decide from there but in any event, Matchlight isn't necessary.

Again, this is a great place for exchanging ideas about this product. Why it's on a Satellite website, who knows and who cares. Good information is good information no matter where you get it.

Again, this is a great place for exchanging ideas about this product. Why it's on a Satellite website, who knows and who cares. Good information is good information no matter where you get it.
I ran across the cooker in Sutherlands and wanted to share... :) ( SatelliteGuys) we have our roots in Satellite but try to be much more ;) My Boss was telling me last night he throwed some Green Tomatos on his after a brisket cook and they came out very good...

I ran across the cooker in Sutherlands and wanted to share... :) ( SatelliteGuys) we have our roots in Satellite but try to be much more ;) My Boss was telling me last night he throwed some Green Tomatos on his after a brisket cook and they came out very good...

I love satellite with my brisket, and a side of HDTV. ;)

I don't really have any pearls of wisdom in that area. I was more of a steak, hamburger, pork chop griller until I bought this thing. I did the apple cider vinegar marinade on the brisket that I cooked and it was fine. I also used a rub before cooking. I don't know much about this so I'm not sure if the vinegar is for tenderizing or flavor or both but I'm one of those who likes to drown everything in sauce anyway so if it's for flavor, I'm not sure I needed it. I've been using a pre-made rub and have been tweaking it a little here and there. I can't really say that my additions have made much of a difference but it's all been good.

I'm still amazed by how idiot proof this thing is. I see some variables with cooking times based on size and that's been my biggest concern. I've cooked baby back ribs, beef ribs, brisket, chicken and pork spareribs and they were all really good. The babybacks got the 1:10 and I gave the larger ones 1:45. All done but not overdone. Pork tenderloins and chicken were also good. The 7 minute per pound of poultry rule seems to be about right.

I called Christian about the brisket before I tried that. It was 9 lbs. and he recommended 2.5 hours. I thought that seemed pretty short but he was right on the money with it.

My ultra cheap-charcoal experiment this weekend basically told me that anything will work. My MegaLow Mart brand worked but seemed to take a little while to get going.compared to the Matchlight. I gave it about a half hour head start before adding the meat but it worked fine.
I used about half to two thirds of an 18 lb. bag for ribs and a 4 lb. pork
tenderloin. Plenty of heat. Next time I'll try a name brand for comparison and decide from there but in any event, Matchlight isn't necessary.

I think putting a rub on the brisket makes all the difference.

I had to kill the coals once with a hose, as it was very windy and I was afriad of the embers flying and causing a fire. Anyway, the next day I just used water and degreaser on it. It worked fine.

Did ribs and a chicken tonight. I used a can of beer for the drip pan, I think next time I will not use any moisture. I also put WAY to much rub on the ribs.

My Boss bought the last cooker at Sutherlands ( after I called him a couple of weeks ago or so) and traded for 4- wheeler tires... the guy that he traded it too let a friend borrow it... he and his brother traveled 80 mile's(1 way) to another city to get them both Orion Cookers from Home Depot... ;) I'm making a lot of converts... :D Might cook Monday when I am off again...(still have a lot of frozen cooked stuff though)

Did ribs and a chicken tonight. I used a can of beer for the drip pan, I think next time I will not use any moisture. I also put WAY to much rub on the ribs.

That's been my only negative experience with this thing. When I crank it up I want to cook as much as I can to take advantage of the heat. When I cooked my brisket I threw on a chicken after. The moisture and the chicken just didn't do it for me but that's not because of the cooker. I'd heard not to use moisture with poultry but I just forgot. It was certainly edible but not great like the other meats.

As for the rubs, is it necessary or better to apply the rub the night before or just before cooking? I did beef ribs and pork spareribs last week and I think that the spareribs were the better of the two. Next time I might even throw them on the grill for a couple of minutes just to finish them off. Has anyone tried that?

Decali, I told my wife the exact same thing last night after I pulled the ribs off that I would next time put them on the grill right after just to finish them. They were a bit moist for me.

I rubbed my ribs with mustard so the dry rub would stick, the put them in the fridge for 4 hours or so. I put WAY too much rub on, I had to scrape most of it off.

Carnivorous

Hello,
Just like you, I have yet to see negatives from reviews, except for the main barbecue posts...in which one gentleman is so appauled he seems to pass out each time when the Orion is spoken of.
Well I am not professional barbe-q personel or have any satelite knowledge at all and a vegan for 12ys, (but changed in the last 5-yrs), I have recently gone to Shane's Rib Shack in Estero Fla (Coconut Point) ordering a rack of baby backs. I now understand that even though the Orion is quick and very good, well let me explain those ribs. Seeming carmelized crisp crunchy hints of flavor delight on the outside - tender juice filled bone falling good (poor mammal no more pain) on the inside. I have only cooked bbacks once, 6 in the time specified, I believe I put too much (water-2 quarts) liquid in the drip pan, they seemed steamed. Could our prized Orion come close to those I onced knew? Is the answer to do place them on a - grill?
Thanks for the great place and tips. I am going to have to try the chicken w/o liquid meal. Maybe rub under the skin might do well. I have also brined chicken but I am thinking of that happy medium w/o liquid in the pan, how does this compare?
God you guys eat a lot of animal.

Liquid in the drip pan

I have read the last several posts referring to liquid in the drip pan. There are two things to think about here. 1. The only time we recommend starting out with liquid in the drip pan is when you do beef brisket or seafood.
2. Another idea is to cook the ribs and the chicken at the same time. Here is a recipe that was passed along. Get three racks of ribs and cut them in half and hang them on the rib hangers, two half racks on each rib hanger. Then place two whole chickens on the middle cooking grate (depending on how long the ribs are) or the lower cooking grate. Let them cook for two hours. When doing something like this, just make sure that the chicken is always below the other meats.

I know Thanksgiving is three+ months away, but here is an awesome turkey recipe that was passed along. Get the biggest fresh turkey you can find this time of year, probably will be around 12-16lbs. Wash the turkey and pat dry. Chop up parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (enough to cover the inside and outside of the bird). Place the ingredients in a bowl and add olive oil (again, add enough to cover the bird). Rub the ingredients on the inside and outside of the bird. For wood chips, use 1/2 Alder chips and 1/2 cherry/apple chips between the drip pan and the cooking cylinder. Cook at 7 minutes per pound. The smoke is nice, not over powering. It tastes fantastic!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)