osolete receiver trade-out, now some channels not working

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vercpa

Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
Montana
I just traded out my obsolete receiver (as per a DirecTV message) & installed a H24-100 receiver they sent me. This is not an HD subscription.(I have a Slimline dish & 2 other HD receivers). Several channels such as 206,398,399 etc did not work & have the 771 error code (searching for signal).

I ran the setup and it said I needed a "B Band Converter). I borrowed one from another receiver I have that works and installed it. Now the channels work but I lost some previosly working channels (241.244,245,254,278,280,281,282,290,299,312,346,392).If I take the converter off I regain these channels but lose the first ones that did't come in.

I am in Montana & satellite techs are few & far in between. This is a lot of aggravation for changing out a receiver that was working just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do?

Thank you for your help!

Do you have SWM? (Press the dash button on the remote, does it say SWM connected)?

If you don't have SWM and added the BBC, did you re-run satellite setup and make sure it is set to Slimline-3 or -5 depending on what you have?

If you do not subscribe to HD Access (unsure since you said it is not an HD sub) you may need to change the setting to Hide All HD Channels, it defaults to hiding SD channels.

WELCOME to Satelliteguys!

:welcome to Satellliteguys vercpa!

jcrandall mentioned the crux of the situation. You said you don't have hd service, but you do have hd equipment. I'm guessing you have your local channels on one of the hd satellites then. That means if you don't have a swm setup then you do need the b band converters. Like jcrandall said, rerun the satellite setup for the type of lnb you have. Let us know how it goes.

I do not have a SWM.

I did rerun the satellite setup with a Slimline 5 dish.

This particular receiver does NOT have a HD subscription. I spoke to DIRECTV and they are sending me a BBC. I also changed the display setting to show "ALL CHANNELS" and am receiving all SD channels now.

Thanks you very much for the quick reply and help!

I'm a bit confused though, if your account has other HD receivers and HD access why not just watch the HD channels on the new H24?

He only gets his locals in mpeg4 is my guess.

Wait a minute! vercpa, what do you mean that particular receiver doesn't have an hd subscription? If one has it, they all do. Do you get hd on any of your receivers?

For the OP.. If one receiver in your home has HD, ALL receivers in your home have HD.. basically, HD is applied to the account, not to individual receivers. It's a common misconception that you need it for each HD receiver..
Note that SD receivers cant pick up HD channels due to hardware limitations.. But all of your HD receivers have it if any of them do.

OP is in a MPEG4 locals market (all of Montana is a MPEG4 market for locals) so he gets HD receivers instead of SD ones

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Who knows where he really is actually. Apparently you are on a chicken farm in Delaware!

Hi, This is vercpa.

I do have 2 other receivers that are HD, but this particular one is not. DIRECTV upgraded this receiver but it is SD. I am in Eastern Montana about 100 miles from the North Dakota border. There aren't too many techs out this direction (a lot of cows & sheep, but few techs!).

Thanks for all the replys!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)