SWM 16 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A

activ8

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 14, 2004
I bought a Genie on ebay ( yes it is leased) , had it activated on my account, but my swim8 is not sufficient to run my setup. So I was told to get a swm16.
for some reason, if you look on ebay, you see the 16port swm, but you also get two 8 ports with it... that got me confused.

I have four HR-24's with worked great with the swm8. I added an HR34 in the mix, but to temporary hook it up, I disconnected one of my lesser used HR24's.
The genie works, shows HD and stuff,, was able to record a show, but I do get the 776 error, I think it's because my swm setup is not correct, or it's because this setup uses old crappy coax

So. what do I have to get to make this work ?

Activ8

T

tychipman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 7, 2009
Mid-west
I bought a Genie on ebay ( yes it is leased) , had it activated on my account, but my swim8 is not sufficient to run my setup. So I was told to get a swm16.
for some reason, if you look on ebay, you see the 16port swm, but you also get two 8 ports with it... that got me confused.

I have four HR-24's with worked great with the swm8. I added an HR34 in the mix, but to temporary hook it up, I disconnected one of my lesser used HR24's.
The genie works, shows HD and stuff,, was able to record a show, but I do get the 776 error, I think it's because my swm setup is not correct, or it's because this setup uses old crappy coax

So. what do I have to get to make this work ?

Activ8

The swim 16 has swm and legacy ports. You need to run the two splitters off the swm outputs. It is a partitioned switch and each swm out supports up to 8 tuners. Your genie uses 5 by itself. Your hr24's use 2 each. I would hook up all hr24's on one 8way and the 34 on the remaining 8way.

A

activ8

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 14, 2004
Great info... thanks.

A

activ8

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 14, 2004
Well I think I need to change the LNB's as well... according to this manual: here
you cannot input a SWM lnb straight to the swm16 switch.... :( right ?

A

activ8

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 14, 2004
since I have the 3lnb slimline swm dish, can I buy the 5 lnb and connect it to the dish, or is a brand new dish needed ?
I think this will do the trick

T

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
If your current LNB is an SWM, you need to replace it with a non-SWM version of the same LNB. So if you have an SL3S (one "eye") you need a non-SWM SL3. If you have an SL5S (three "eyes") you need an SL5 non-SWM. It's just a straight swap, no need to replace the dish. If you are careful, you don't even need to realign the dish.

M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
If your current LNB is an SWM, you need to replace it with a non-SWM version of the same LNB. So if you have an SL3S (one "eye") you need a non-SWM SL3. If you have an SL5S (three "eyes") you need an SL5 non-SWM. It's just a straight swap, no need to replace the dish. If you are careful, you don't even need to realign the dish.

one correction..
its not really a straight swap as you need 4 lines from the Non-SWM LNB to go to the SWM16 (SWM only needs one line)

T

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
one correction..
its not really a straight swap as you need 4 lines from the Non-SWM LNB to go to the SWM16 (SWM only needs one line)

true. But the LNB itself is just a swapout.

Status
Please reply by conversation.