SWM 16 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

activ8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
I bought a Genie on ebay ( yes it is leased) , had it activated on my account, but my swim8 is not sufficient to run my setup. So I was told to get a swm16.
for some reason, if you look on ebay, you see the 16port swm, but you also get two 8 ports with it... that got me confused.

I have four HR-24's with worked great with the swm8. I added an HR34 in the mix, but to temporary hook it up, I disconnected one of my lesser used HR24's.
The genie works, shows HD and stuff,, was able to record a show, but I do get the 776 error, I think it's because my swm setup is not correct, or it's because this setup uses old crappy coax

So. what do I have to get to make this work ?

Activ8

I bought a Genie on ebay ( yes it is leased) , had it activated on my account, but my swim8 is not sufficient to run my setup. So I was told to get a swm16.
for some reason, if you look on ebay, you see the 16port swm, but you also get two 8 ports with it... that got me confused.

I have four HR-24's with worked great with the swm8. I added an HR34 in the mix, but to temporary hook it up, I disconnected one of my lesser used HR24's.
The genie works, shows HD and stuff,, was able to record a show, but I do get the 776 error, I think it's because my swm setup is not correct, or it's because this setup uses old crappy coax

So. what do I have to get to make this work ?

Activ8

The swim 16 has swm and legacy ports. You need to run the two splitters off the swm outputs. It is a partitioned switch and each swm out supports up to 8 tuners. Your genie uses 5 by itself. Your hr24's use 2 each. I would hook up all hr24's on one 8way and the 34 on the remaining 8way.

Well I think I need to change the LNB's as well... according to this manual: here
you cannot input a SWM lnb straight to the swm16 switch.... :( right ?

since I have the 3lnb slimline swm dish, can I buy the 5 lnb and connect it to the dish, or is a brand new dish needed ?
I think this will do the trick

If your current LNB is an SWM, you need to replace it with a non-SWM version of the same LNB. So if you have an SL3S (one "eye") you need a non-SWM SL3. If you have an SL5S (three "eyes") you need an SL5 non-SWM. It's just a straight swap, no need to replace the dish. If you are careful, you don't even need to realign the dish.

If your current LNB is an SWM, you need to replace it with a non-SWM version of the same LNB. So if you have an SL3S (one "eye") you need a non-SWM SL3. If you have an SL5S (three "eyes") you need an SL5 non-SWM. It's just a straight swap, no need to replace the dish. If you are careful, you don't even need to realign the dish.

one correction..
its not really a straight swap as you need 4 lines from the Non-SWM LNB to go to the SWM16 (SWM only needs one line)

one correction..
its not really a straight swap as you need 4 lines from the Non-SWM LNB to go to the SWM16 (SWM only needs one line)

true. But the LNB itself is just a swapout.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)