OSX Mountain Lion not seeing DLNA servers

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
I've asked this question in a number of places over the last month with no answer and no solution so far.

With my MacBook Pro, neither XBMC nor Plex will see the DLNA server (playon in this case) running on my Win7 laptop. All other devices I have on the network that have DLNA capability see it and work with it just fine.

The MBP can see the drives on the Win7 box and use them, it just cannot access the DLNA server.

This used to work on an older Mac with OSX Snow Leopard, but I hadn't used Playon for quite some time until just recently. But it has to be an OSX Mountain Lion (or Lion possibly) issue since everything else in the network sees all things just fine.

It isn't something I'll use very often, but I would like it to work if possible.

Any ideas from the crew here??

What are you trying to stream? The Mac can probably play the files directly.

VLC is great for video and there are plenty of apps to play whatever music files you have.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Answering my own question thanks to a little help on usenet.

Turns out the Firewall on OSX was defaulted to block incoming from DLNA. Changed that and all works.

Never occurred to me that Lion/Mountain Lion changed the firewall default settings to do that as it wasn't that way in previous versions.

I'm not using any DLNA server on my MBP as I have no need for it there. My videos are all in my iTunes library and the AppleTV works with that just fine.

I use Playon on an el-cheapo Acer laptop to allow for some of it's 'channels' to be streamed to my network. I use XBMC as a client on the MBP to see the Playon server, so I don't care about it taking up the whole screen.

Playback is server, and I used the demo to take a look after you posted. Looks pretty decent and it sure is dead simple to setup and use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)