Needing notification over satellite.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

monst

Original poster
Sep 1, 2019
nc
Hey everyone, I have a simple need that I am having a little trouble finding a solution to.

Basically I am on call 24/7 and where I live cell coverage is sometimes spotty in places.

The systems that page me can use SMS or email, but it seems like Garmin inReach has proprietary systems for communication and they don't provide you a direct email or SMS to use.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, I can use other devices/services as I haven't purchased a solution yet.

First of all :welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Do you have high speed internet where you live, or at least, on full time internet; not dial up or similar. If so just use a Wi-Fi router with phone connected through that.
Maybe, you could give more details of your situation.

Hello Monst,

A satellite-based solution capable of receiving and also sending text messages with a standard US number is the SPOT X. The device will need a view of the sky to receive the messages, depending on the sky view, this can be done thru a window.

Reactions: KE4EST
Sounds like a candidate for VOIP (assuming broadband Internet is available). Satellite messaging has a big dance card ($149+) and the monthly charge is about the same as VOIP. It may not be as reliable as something terrestrial but it is something you can carry with you (as long as you're not LOS obscured).

I'm assuming you've investigated getting a wireless carrier with better coverage.

Sorry didn't explain my need well enough. I plan to go to camping sites that have zero cell service. I need to be able to receive text messages or email alerts from pagerduty.com. This will allow me to packup and head into cell service to do maintenance.

Sorry didn't explain my need well enough. I plan to go to camping sites that have zero cell service. I need to be able to receive text messages or email alerts from pagerduty.com. This will allow me to packup and head into cell service to do maintenance.

Monst,

In this situation, The SPOT-X would be a good candidate for you, there are three different plan types, Month-2-Month, Monthly (12-month commitment) or pay for the entire year up front and have a giant bucket of texts. Another option would be an Iridium pager, they run about $700-900 plus $120-199/m for service (12-month contract). Now, if you need a satellite internet connection that one can setup and move around on ones own without needing to have a tech come out and move it, then there a Hughesnet solution. This would be good for a setup at camp, need to be able to see Echostar 17 (Jupiter 1, max of 25x3 Mbps) or Echostar 19 (Jupiter 2, max of up to 48x3 Mbps). Plans start at $40 a month for 2gb of data and equipment runs $600 + shipping.

EmCommSat

Reactions: monst
Sorry didn't explain my need well enough. I plan to go to camping sites that have zero cell service.
Keep in mind that you'll need to maintain line of sight with the satellite(s). Anything more than a rain fly or a few leaves/boughs might obscure the signal. One reviewer commented that cloud cover seemed to impact reception. Message transmission times ranged from 2.5 to 11 minutes.

Hopefully the service broadcasts your messages regularly until the device acknowledges them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)