Status
Please reply by conversation.

jasonbonz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
Kansas City, MO
Greetings:

I recently installed an OTA to be able to watch tv during storms when satellite signal is bad. This does not happen too often, but want to cover my bases. I also know there is no input on the HR24 for an OTA.

That being said, the OTA is currently connected to my tv directly and I am wondering if there is a way to integrate this with my HR24..

I saw an AM 21 that works with the HR24, but am not sure what that would accomplish. The goal would be that I could switch to OTA channels this without changing inputs, and potentially add an extra tuner to record from.

Does anyone have any ideas if this would work?

Thanks in advance..

AM21 would let you tune and record OTA channels with guide data just like your satellite channels. Still record a max of two things at once, OTA or SAT, still only two at a time.

The AM21 connects to the HR24 receiver using a USB port. You can record and watch OTA channels. You can record up to 2 shows from satellite or OTA.

Could I record 2 things and watch a different channel (non-recorded)? Would Directv make me commit to a 2 year agreement if I purchased this? Which site is best to purchase from?

Thanks for your help

Could I record 2 things and watch a different channel (non-recorded)? Would Directv make me commit to a 2 year agreement if I purchased this? Which site is best to purchase from?

Thanks for your help

You can watch one channel and record another, or record two and watch one of those. You can also record a VOD at the same time, but that's it. There are several suppliers, but I think Directv has the best price. There is no commitment involved with them.

STRONGLY suggest one of these if you have an AV system with several components.

Surf Remote Control - Universal Remote Controls - MX-980

I press one button that says, "DirecTV" and it turns on my TV, sets it to the correct input, turns on the AV receiver, sets it to the correct audio input, turns on the DirecTV receiver. And if I want to switch to the antenna, I press "TV" and it reconfigures everything for TV with an antenna connected to it. REALLY simplifies using the system and makes a simple thing like watching TV easy again .... or a DVD... or listening to CDs... or using the Wii....

That universal remote is only really needed if you are recording two channels on the HR and want to watch something OTA live on the TV.
And the OTA cable would have to be split for the AM21 and the TV.

I agree that using a universal remote can really simply operation of a system with many components. I once used my Harmony 880 to control the TV inputs switching for an HR20, HR23, DVD player and AV receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)