OTA antenna for other devices?

RocketRay

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
SoCal
I've rearranged my TV/theater setup and I split the output from the Stealthtenna to go to my computer and my VCR as well as my VOOM receiver. Problem is, I get very poor reception VHF and UHF, except for VOOM, which is as good as ever. I took the split feed I had going to the VOOM receiver and tried it on my VCR with the same bad reception I got from the other side of the split feed.

What's going on here? Why can't I use the Stealthtenna for SD broadcasts? Do I need to get a feed from my old rooftop OTA antenna?

Not an expert here, but I'd suspect it might have something to do with the diplexers, assuming they used them in your install. i think that you have to split the antenna feed BEFORE the multi-switch?

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will jump in...

Lob

stealthtenna != analog antenna

I got a feed from my analog antenna over to the new theater setup and voila, I get a clean signal from everything. So my diagnosis is the digital antenna does not feed the same frequencies as the analog.

Off to evil Fry's to get more coax! :p

RocketRay said:
I got a feed from my analog antenna over to the new theater setup and voila, I get a clean signal from everything. So my diagnosis is the digital antenna does not feed the same frequencies as the analog.

Off to evil Fry's to get more coax! :p

There is no such thing as a digital antenna. To me it sounds like your old antenna has more gain than the Voom antenna. If it was me I would probably use your old antenna for both Voom and your SD sets.

Jerry

I use the stealth on my PC to tune in channels 2-49 and have no problems with it.

your old antenna will work fine. it is probably better than the one from voom. an antenna is an antenna it doesn't matter if it's analog or digital

Yes, you can split the antenna signal

Pull off the diplexer on the back of the voom box.
Run a cable into the voom STB for the dish.
Use a spliter off of the antenna feed, then feed the voom STB, and whatever else you want.
Worked like a charm for me. Winegard antenna worked great for ota on my other set.

There is a method of doing this without having to run a second downlead all the way from the antenna's. Keep the standard diplexor up at the dish, and connect as below. You can purchase a diplexor at most electronics stores for use as illistrated, or you can use the voom supplied one from the back of the box, but will require a couple female-female couplers to get it connected.

Attachments

• 2boxsetup.GIF
    2boxsetup.GIF
    9.4 KB · Views: 204

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)