OTA antenna HDTV...need advice

my zip is 22026, according to antennaweb, it is 30.1miles away. does the color code on the box make a difference? the antenna i installed said 75miles and color code was green and yellow, but on the UHF only antenna that i saw at the store, it has yellow, green, red and blue. will that be better for catching WB in HD? putting the antenna on the roof is not an option. i dont have a ladder to get up there. Does it really cut down the reception by half by placing it in the attic? I noticed that there are aluminum tubing up there for the airducts, if i lean or attach the antenna on those ducts, will it cause the signal to get stronger or weaker?

As Jim and I suggested.

The cm4228 antenna is preferred and worth the few extra dollars. It is probably the best uhf antenna out there, has been around forever, and has proven itself in the worst of reception situations. The antenna's direct 91xg ralfyguy purchased is a good one too but more antenna then you will need.

The cm 4228 is very popular in your area and you should not have a hard time finding one.

It really should be on the roof. If you do not have a ladder maybe you can borrow one from a neighbor or give the cm4228 a try in the attic. If directv has the off air diplexed with satellite signal, you may have better results with a direct line for off air.

That radio shack you purchased will not receive from 75 miles...green/ yellow...is an urban/ suburban antenna. My 14' 9" winegard hd8200p has a hard time with 60 miles let alone 75.

Leaning the antenna on the ducts...do not think that would improve a thing.

I would not waste my time on that radioshack uhf antenna...end of story!

Last edited:
Placing and antenna in the attic near AC ducts is asking for multipath = no signal or intermittent signal.

If you are in a neighborhood with moderately strong signals, an attic antenna might work. But you are wasting your time installing an attic antenna in a poor-signal neighborhood. Most successful attic antennas are within 20 miles of the transmitter. (30 miles often works if you are on a hillcrest.) The problems with attic antennas are:

1.The antenna might not be high enough above obstacles outside the house such as trees.

2.It is hard to estimate the signal loss caused by the wood and other construction materials.

3.Metal objects in the attic can block the signal.

Estimating the signal loss in ordinary construction materials requires knowledge of their water content. Exceptions are aluminum siding, stucco (which has an embedded metal screen), and foil-backed insulation, all of which totally block all signals.

Concrete and most bricks have moderate water content, but their thickness is enough to block all signals. In a desert, plywood becomes so dry that it causes no signal loss at all, even for UHF. In any other place, there will be some moisture. Exterior wood is generally always wet inside, especially in north facing surfaces. (Paint does not prevent this.) The amount of water varies with the weather.

Asphalt shingles are mostly transparent to UHF, but the way they overlap encourages water to persist between them. The vapor barrier is often wet on one side or the other. The bottom line is that there is no way to quantify the signal loss in these materials.

Metals reflect signals.

A metal object 8 inches long is big enough to reflect UHF. Smaller objects, such as nails, have no effect. Wires and metal pipes effectively reflect VHF, as do plastic pipes containing water. If these reflecting objects are positioned to the side, to the rear, above, or below the antenna, they will have little effect on it, provided they are not too close. These objects should be further away than 2 feet for UHF, 4 feet for VHF-high, or 6 feet for VHF-low, and an even larger separation will help a little.

There should be no horizontal or diagonal wires or pipes in front of the antenna. A perfectly vertical metal vent pipe is invisible to TV signals, but its flashing at the roofline might not be.

From my knowledge database

Last edited:
cm 4228 available here if you are interested

Mark Electronics
11215 Old Baltimore Pike
Beltsville, MD 20705
(301) 595-5040

so even though i get all the channels with the exception of WB in HD, i should still look into the cm4228? WB is the only channel i do not get. the cm4228 is an attic antenna?

NitrousGT said:
.....I am thinking of mounting it in the attic and run the wire down to the TV.....I checked on antennaweb and the DC towers are about 30 miles away. Zipcode is 22025/22026......
NitrousGT said:
I got this antenna http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=&origkw=15-2151&kw=15-2151&parentPage=search
and i installed it in the attic. .....On the box of the antenna above, it says for Green and Yellow areas, its a UHF/VHF/FM antenna. However, these are the channels that i got crystal clean....

YELLOW (UHF) ..WPXW 66.4 13MILES
YELLOW (UHF) ..wrc 4.1 27.2 MILES
RED (UHF) .. 5.1 28MILES
RED (UHF) WNVT 5.9MILES
BLUE (UHF) WUSA 9.1 27.9MILES
BLUE (UHF) WJLA 7.1 27.9MILES.

those are all the HD channels that i picked up....If the antenna box said only for GREEN/YELLOW areas, why did i pick up the REDs and also why didnt WB channel 50 come in in HD, it came in as regular AIR and it was not very clear at all.

When I typed in zipcode 22025 today, all of the above channels showed as YELLOW, which is the lowest antenna rating.

The following were obtained from http://antennaweb.org:

YELLOW UHF zipcode 22025
WDCA 20 UPN 37° 27.8mi CH20
WJLA-DT 7.1 ABC 41° 27.7mi CH39
WUSA-DT 9.1 CBS 41° 27.7 CH34
WPXW-DT 66.1 i 13° 12.6mi CH43
WRC-DT 4.1 NBC 41° 27.0mi CH48
WNVC 56 IND 29° 19.6mi CH56
WNVT-DT 30.1 IND 296° 5.4mi CH30
WTTG-DT 5.1 FOX 40° 27.9mi CH36

GREEN UHF zipcode 22025
WBDC 50 WB 44° 29.9mi CH50

RED UHF zipcode 22025
WBDC-DT 50.1 WB DC 44° 29.9mi CH51

Last edited:
The following was obtained for an OUTDOOR antenna from:
http://antennaweb.org:

RED UHF zipcode 22025
WBDC-DT 50.1 WB 44° 29.9mi CH51

The following were obtained from:
http://www.tvradioworld.com/

Washington DC UHF kilowatts
20 3980kW WDCA UPN
30 160kW WNVT-DT edu
34 646kW WUSA-DT CBS
35 760kW WDCA-DT UPN
36 1000kW WTTG-DT FOX
39 646kW WJLA-DT ABC
48 813kW WRC-DT NBC
50 4168kW WDCW WB
51 125kW WDCW-DT WB
66 4370kW WPXW "i"

The WB-DT is transmitting at 125kW and you are not receiving it. For comparison, you are receiving the 646kW channels from about the same distance away. Ergo, the WB-DT kW is too low for you to receive with your current antenna located in your attic.

NitrousGT said:
Is there anyway to improve channel 50 (WB) to come in HD?.......

(1) You could call the engineer at phone 202-965-5050 at WDCW and ask when are they going to increase their digital transmission kilowatts to 646kW. :)
(2) If they have no idea, you might want to return your antenna and get a blue or violet rated one to put in your attic instead.

Last edited:
NitrousGT said:
so even though i get all the channels with the exception of WB in HD, i should still look into the cm4228? WB is the only channel i do not get....
That is up to you. How important is it for you to watch the WB and UPN in HD ? How many shows do you regularly watch on these channels ? If it is important, you might want to return your antenna and get a blue or violet rated one instead.

When the WB and UPN merge into the CW in September 2006 onto your CH51, here is the fall schedule:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CW_Network#CW_Fall_2006_Lineup

Last edited:
the user is 25-30 miles from the towers...deduct the losses associated with home construction (which varies from user to user and is difficult to calculate)...you are probably talking red or worse.

the radio shack antenna currently purchased may be undersized for consistant attic reception since it coded yellow green.

- would rather have too much signal as opposed to not enough...especially in the attic and for a cushion for bad reception days.

- would return the radio shack antenna while you have the opportunity and install the cm4228.

JH, thanks again for the informative answers. So if the box of the antenna has a blue or violet color code, then most likely it will pick up a better signal in the attic for WB-DT? The current antenna I have do not have the blue or violet color code, could that be the reason its not picking up WB-DT? What do the high kilowatts represent, and the low kilowatts? When its a lower kilowatts, the antenna have to be higher up in the roof?

RICk, are u saying if i get another antenna from radioshack that is rated blue and violet also i still wotn be able to pick up WB? I am checking out the sites for the cm4228 now. just wanted to konw if i should try another antenna before i get the cm4228. i saw another antenna at radioshack that is coded wtih yellow, green, blue and violet

If you decide to purchase another antenna... if you are not satisfied with the antenna you currently own and have tried, please purchase the cm4228 (and pass on the radioshack).

The cm4228 is the best uhf antenna on the market and will be the best antenna choice for your situation. It will also receive high band vhf.

The cm 4228 is available close by if you are interested and uncertain about purchasing online.

Mark Electronics
11215 Old Baltimore Pike
Beltsville, MD 20705
(301) 595-5040

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I just tried the other UHF only antenna from RadioShack (sorry Rick :)) for $17.99 and it picked up ABC,NBC,FOX,CBS and WB all in HD :) Its in the attic but i dont get UPN, but i dont care much about UPN.

Well that's great...thought you were using the one for $24.99...you got a deal!

then go watch tv and quit whining.

oh, which one for $17.99...I wanna try it.

Last edited:
its the $24.99 unit, but it was open so the guy at Radio Shack sold it for $17.99 cause it was open.lol
Thanks for all the assistance everyone, but just to experiment, i am going to get a ladder this weekend and get a 10ft pole and place it on the roof and see if it gets any better or get more channels :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)