OTA Antenna Installation Help

Mark P.

Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
How's it going, folks? I'm new to this, so please be patient.

Dish doesn't offer my locals in HD, so I'm resigned to an OTA to watch network programming in HD. I tried to have Dish sell me and install an OTA antenna, but after a month of them not showing up, showing up without the antenna, and different customer service people telling me different things, I've decided to buy and install my own OTA.

I bought a Terk TV-44, which after the fact I've been told isn't my best option. I like the fact that it mounts to my dish, so while I'm open to returning it and getting something better, if it works I'll be happy. My towers aren't that far away, so it may suffice.

My main question is this...

I have 2 dishes, one for SD and one for HD. Apparently there was no line of site for the sat that is normally used for both. I have a 722, with the signals diplexed to run to another room. Can I diplex the OTA signal onto the line also, avoiding the need to run another cable? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance. This board has been helpful, but I haven't been able to solve my problem just by reading.

-Mark

Secondary question... does anyone know of Dish's plans to offer HD locals in all areas? Or specifically Greenville, NC? This would solve the problem without all the hassle!

Thanks again!

How's it going, folks? I'm new to this, so please be patient.

Dish doesn't offer my locals in HD, so I'm resigned to an OTA to watch network programming in HD. I tried to have Dish sell me and install an OTA antenna, but after a month of them not showing up, showing up without the antenna, and different customer service people telling me different things, I've decided to buy and install my own OTA.

I bought a Terk TV-44, which after the fact I've been told isn't my best option. I like the fact that it mounts to my dish, so while I'm open to returning it and getting something better, if it works I'll be happy. My towers aren't that far away, so it may suffice.

My main question is this...

I have 2 dishes, one for SD and one for HD. Apparently there was no line of site for the sat that is normally used for both. I have a 722, with the signals diplexed to run to another room. Can I diplex the OTA signal onto the line also, avoiding the need to run another cable? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance. This board has been helpful, but I haven't been able to solve my problem just by reading.

-Mark

Secondary question... does anyone know of Dish's plans to offer HD locals in all areas? Or specifically Greenville, NC? This would solve the problem without all the hassle!

Thanks again!
First, you need to go to antennaweb.org or TVFool.com and find out where your stations are coming from and their distance. This will dictate the type of antenna you will need. Point the Terk antenna in the general direction of your stations and see if you get signal.

As for you HD locals, E* is working on something for the 61.5 sat. If they light up the spotbeams on 61.5, you might be getting your HD locals pretty soon.

If all else fails buy a CM4228 antenna and a CM7777 pre amp. This antenna is for UHF only but mine picks up from channel 8 on up.

I live about forty miles south of Richmond and pick up all HD perfectly. I have no problem picking up stations sixty miles away.

If all else fails buy a CM4228 antenna and a CM7777 pre amp. This antenna is for UHF only but mine picks up from channel 8 on up.

I live about forty miles south of Richmond and pick up all HD perfectly. I have no problem picking up stations sixty miles away.
Good advice. I have the same setup. I can pick up the Balt & Philly locals all the time and usually the DC locals at night/early morning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts