OTA Antenna Poll

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

marco916

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Sacramento
What are you guys using for HDTV antennas? I'm curious if any of those long range direct antennas work like the ones from Lava, Vortex. I know they claim 150 miles, but what are you really getting max?

What are you guys using for HDTV antennas? I'm curious if any of those long range direct antennas work like the ones from Lava, Vortex. I know they claim 150 miles, but what are you really getting max?
I'm using the Paper Thin Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna made by Mohu. The best antenna so far . It's an indoor Antenna. I find the OTA signal distance very disappointing compared to analog. I'm only about 20 miles from the towers and I still get signal drop outs. Not a slam at the Antenna. It's giving me the best performance of all of the ones I tried.

Last edited:
on a sidenote there is no such thing as a "HDTV" antenna....its just marketing hype which made some people panic and go buy a new antenna for no reason.

anywho....I have 2 antennas set up
Antennacraft HBU33 for the main Minneapolis stations...28 miles away
YA1713 VHF only antenna for Mankato stations. They are 72 miles in the opposite direction and its just CBS & Fox subchannel in the market

Before the conversion when Mpls was a digital UHF island I used an old Rat Shack U120 antenna I had for about 12 years and it worked great

I use the "EZ-HD TV Antenna" from Denny's TV Antenna. My locals are very close, all within 11 miles but three directions. I needed some kind of antenna and went with this one. 100% on all 12 channels.

Attachments

• WPworks 011.JPG
    WPworks 011.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 382
I'm in deep fringe area for reception and use an Antennas Direct 91XG for UHF, and a home made antenna simular in performance to a Winegard YA-1713 for VHF. These two antennas are fed into a CM-7777 pre-amp. My tower is currently 3 sections, with a fourth piece waiting to be installed. (currently about 35 feet) Height is important for deep fringe reception.
Making/using custom channel-cut yagis for UHF/VHF TV - Page 14 - Digital Forum
Hi-VHF 10-El Yagi - Lorkoe's Antique
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_xp43tcwB5ps/TBgusuw9whI/AAAAAAAABAA/nij0uopKPJE/s1024/IMG_6731.JPG
The laws of physics must be applied, so for long range you will need height to overcome the curvature of the earth, and a large antenna to get the needed gain. Do not look at any distance ratings, but rather the gain of the antenna.
My stations are 40 miles for the local high powered one, to between 60miles and 100 miles for the rest.

Last edited:
Larry1 when you talk about Deep Fringe, what do you mean by that term, I've seen that term on the Channel Master 4228 Antenna.

Last edited:
Thats pretty neat Magic Static , so those Antennas from Lava that claim 150 miles, is that just Snake Oil Technology?

Last edited:
Thats pretty neat Magic Static , so those Antennas from Lava that claim 150 miles, is that just Snake Oil Technology?

yep...well unless you live in a desert and the station 150 miles away is operating at an illegal power like 9 million watts (UHF max is 1 million)

Ice Whats the proper term for describing HDTV Antennas?? UHF/VHF Antenna?

I just say an OTA (over the air) antenna or just an antenna :)

I was more making the statement that there really isnt a HDTV antenna. All antennas will get both analog and digital channels

After the roofing company replaces my shingled roof withmetal this November I'm hoping to have time to upgrade my damaged antenna system with a different setup. I'll still be using my UHF Channel Master 4251 on top but will take down my big crossfire 3617 which was damaged by flying shingles and replace it with two new VHF Channel master 1111 which will be stacked for channels starting at channel 7. I've got to replace the mast also which was double walled and was still bend by the storm so I've gotten 2 sections 20 foot long of different size gas pipe which hopefully will never bend.

Those $30 Chinese antennas with the rotor are mostly a joke. The 150 mile claim only works if you are up on a 5000+ foot mountain with line of site to a powerful transmitter. With one folded dipole for VHF and five for UHF it really is a sub 30 mile antenna. The amplifier probably hurts more than it helps in most installations.

I use a classic Radio Shack VU-90 XR and a home made Gray Hoverman for local stations less than 30 miles away. I used to own much larger antennas but I moved and had to leave them behind. :(

I just say an OTA (over the air) antenna or just an antenna :)

I was more making the statement that there really isnt a HDTV antenna. All antennas will get both analog and digital channels

Its kind of like how some pizza dish companies call certain satellite dishes "HDTV dishes" or certain LNBs "HDTV ready". In reality, any dish will receive HD, it just depends on what satellite you're pointed at (and if that satellite is transmitting any HD programming).

See attached. Still works well. Find 'em used if you're lucky! Antennacraft made 'em for RV's and boats, Radio Shack privately labeled 'em. I want to tear one apart and see if they can be simply re-manufactured on a small scale for friends... since they've been abandoned by the company for a long time (and I have friends that want them!!)

An abandoned product that really worked and one that SHOULD be "reverse engineered."

On an average one-story roof, its pulling two markets off its backside, and two off the front, the farthest on the back being around 60-70 miles. GREAT on UHF and VHF-high, which is why it works so well now for digital!

Attachments

• antenna 1986 Radio Shack Antennacraft.jpg
    antenna 1986 Radio Shack Antennacraft.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 541
I've got a CM4228 the older style one. I've had good luck with it. About 50-60 miles is typical...maybe 80miles if skip conditions are perfect. I figure 35 stations is enough....Blind

Channel Master Crossfire CM-3671 deepest fringe but it's getting old and rusty. I get Detroit stations 60 miles away reliably but I'm pointing through trees
I've made two Stealth Hawk antennas out of copper wire with surprising results

A good preamp(NOT distribution amp) can help alot

Deep Fringe is that the antenna is made for very long distances. It is where the signal is the weakest before it disappears altogether. It indicates that the antenna has a large amount of gain which is required when the signal is extremely weak. Usually the antenna is very directional (you have to point it in the exact direction, and if off by a few degrees, the gain goes down a lot). Usually also required for deep fringe is good height. Any obstructions such as trees, buildings or hills generally will reduce the signal. Towers are usually used and can be 40', 50', 60' in height. A good quality pre-amp helps greatly in deep fringe areas.

With the elimination of the channels below 7 and above 52, new antennas can be constructed smaller than older antennas that needed to cover the lower and upper channels. So a (slightly) smaller newer antenna can perform better than a larger older antenna. When looking at antennas, look for the gain factors. In general, the larger the antenna the greater the gain. Be very cautious of a small antenna that is rated in miles but gives no gain figures.

With the elimination of the channels below 7.

They didnt eliminate 2-6 on the digital side, it was just not recommended to use VHF LO due to possible interference
But stations still do. One big example is 6 in Philly which is the ABC affiliate
WPVI-TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

smaller markets the stations went to their analog channel...Mike Kohl had a nice list posted here of stations that are in the 2-6 area
http://www.global-cm.net/US CH 2-6 FULL POWER DIGITAL TV.pdf

In Canada I know both Thunder Bay stations (CBC 2 and Global 4) went digital on those stations after having a UHF channel already assigned

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)