ota antenna question

dogles

Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
I purchased a winegard hd7082p to replace the antenna supplied by Voom (Winegard Sensar). I disconnected the coxial cable from the Sensar connected it to the cable from my new antenna with a barrel connector. Now I get nothing no local or satellite. What am I doing wrong? I did notice that the Sensar has a built in power amplifier. There is no amp or pre-amp on my new antenna. Any thoughts?

dogles said:
I purchased a winegard hd7082p to replace the antenna supplied by Voom (Winegard Sensar). I disconnected the coxial cable from the Sensar connected it to the cable from my new antenna with a barrel connector. Now I get nothing no local or satellite. What am I doing wrong? I did notice that the Sensar has a built in power amplifier. There is no amp or pre-amp on my new antenna. Any thoughts?
Welcome to the forum, dogles!

Sensar II has a built-in amplifier. VOOM STB supplies DC voltage to it via the satellite input through the diplexers (or through the multiswitch if you have one). The same voltage that goes to the LNB, powers your antenna. Now, when you are replacing the amplified antenna with another antenna that doesn't have a built-in pre-amp, you are essentially creating a short circuit. That's why everything stops working. You need to replace the diplexer/combiner with the one that doesn't pass voltage to the OTA antenna.

Thanks Ilya, that's what I did. Used a terk diplexer with a dc block. All my locals with the exception of fox are coming in at 95+. Fox transmission is 1,000 watts, I am only 5 miles from the tower but I still cannot receive their signal. Thought maybe a bow tie aimed at their tower might work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts