OTA antenna success stories

lizard20022000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
I am going to buy an antenna in the next week or so, and I would like to hear peoples opinions.

I have heard that the ChannelMaster 4228 and 4048/3023. I have also heard of some of the winegaurd antenna's are pretty good. I would like to avoid useing a roter if I can but some of the stations are a bit off access. Can I combine the stealth with another antenna, and use the stealth to pull in the 'close' stations and use the big antenna for the longer range stations? How?

From where I am most of the stations are in the voilet range. I am about 50 miles from the towers for MA (I live in NH near Manchester).

I would like to hear stories and recomendations of fringe or deep fringe antenna's that people have used.

lizard20022000,

I have been successful with a Radio Shack antenna. It brings in UHF and VHF with long distance range. From the Bronx, NY I can get the CT PBS station in Bridgeport. I do not know how much distance this is but it works. Right now I hardly point to CT since I can get the PBS digital channel from L.I. I am using a Rotor which has been very good.

I do not much about combining antennas but it has been said that it is a bad idea because it creates multipath problems. I also have a clear sight to CT. There is nothing blocking my reception.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 218
I use a Radio shack antenna also and pick up stations 75 miles away. I use a rotor and could not live without it. Here is the one I use:

160" Long Dual Boom, 57 Element Antenna
$99.99 Brand: RadioShack
Catalog #: 15-2156 Model: VU-190 XR

HOw about the Square Shooter from Winegard new just previewed at the ces las vegas show, they are installing that one as my second antenna hoping to get local hdtv, hope it works, it has great reviews at the show , will update if it works

OTA Ant

I use a Terk TV55 outside on about a 14' pole, without the power booster (it seems to work better in my setup without it). I'm about 30 miles southwest of Chicago and have no problem with all OTA digital and HD. I don't use a rotor, but it's probably not a bad idea.

Just installed a Winegard HD7084P in my attic. I'm only 22 miles out from most of my stations but antenna web shows most of them as blue and one violet. It's pretty hilly around here. Great signal on all channels w/out pre-amp.

I got a good deal and great support from tvantenna.com. I emailed them and then spent some time on the phone with them. They asked a lot of questions about location and then sent me an antenna recommendation along with information about how they picked that antenna. Even told me I might need a pre-amp but to wait and see what things looked like after the antenna was up. If they had told me to go ahead and buy it I probably would have but they didn't push something that I ended up not needing.

Good luck, DT & HDTV is great!