OTA Antenna Suggestion

protoboard

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 13, 2004
I currently have a Zenith Silver Senso (sitting on the end table) which works great for me, for NBC, ABC. FOX, WGN...all my locals EXCEPT CBS becasue they are in the UHF band in my area (Chicago). I can get the waiver for the CBS HD feed from New York but thats a pain, more Dish's etc...does anyone have a suggestion of a set-top antenna that might be able to pick up my CBS feed for me? Or is this a lost casue trying to pick up CBS with set top?

Thank You In Advance.

protoboard said:
I currently have a Zenith Silver Senso (sitting on the end table) which works great for me, for NBC, ABC. FOX, WGN...all my locals EXCEPT CBS becasue they are in the UHF band in my area (Chicago). I can get the waiver for the CBS HD feed from New York but thats a pain, more Dish's etc...does anyone have a suggestion of a set-top antenna that might be able to pick up my CBS feed for me? Or is this a lost casue trying to pick up CBS with set top?

Thank You In Advance.
Well I suggest going to Antennaweb or TitanTV and seeing which colorcode they recomend for that channel in your area. You will probally need a large antenna. I suggest putting it in your attic if you dont want it outside. You may need a preamp as well. Otherwise it may be a lost cause. Whats the signal meter say on the CBS station your trying to receive?

Well antenna web says I need a large directional, but then again thats what it says I need for ALL my channels yet I get everyone of them with my Silver Sensor (UHF only). So I was wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with any PARTICULAR set top VHF or VHF/UHF combo antennas so I could buy one and give it a try on CBS DTV (channel 3 in my area - VHF)

I use a Jensen 45 dB amp VHF/UHF antenna that I use to pick up two VHF and my other UHF HD OTA stations in my area. I bought it at Best Buy for about $50 and actually have it mounted in my garage attic with about 35 feet of RG-6 cable running to my 811. I live about 23 - 25 miles away from the broadcast towers. I am also able to receive a UHF HD station from another city that is about 70 miles away. One of the VHF channels is broadcast on channel 2 so I have found that the VHF elements need to be in an almost horizontal position for good reception which is part of the reason why the antenna ended up in the garage attic.

protoboard said:

Thank You In Advance.
Try one of the these, it is especially made for channel 3 in chicago.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/VHF channel listings.htm
V4 Low band VHF antenna
VHF Channels 2-6
4 Elements.
Intended for those who have digital channels on the low VHF band such as Chicago.

I've been disappointed with my silver sensor

I am in Indy, and I don't get a single channel with the silver sensor that I can't pick up with a $12 rabbit ears-type antenna I bought at Target.

So for me, I just switched so that I could get vhf CBS on the same antenna.

hd ota antenna

Protoboard
where in the chicagoland metropolitin are do you live? Cbs 2 has been crap forever and will probably never get any better in analog or digital until they go uhf. My suggestion is a winegard 8200hd. Mainline electronics in plainfield stocks them, or can get them, antenna is a bit pricey 150+, but well worth it, also dont forget the preamp, rotor and heavy duty 5' roof tripod.

protoboard - Terk (I know Terk usually sucks) has a new model based on the Silver Sensor, but with added VHF support. I've heard good things about it. The model is something like HDTV-I, or something like that. You might wanna give it a shot.

You should get the newyork cbs if you get chicago locals and you are using a chicago address. when I lived up there i was eligible for it. you should try calling again.

I tried the new TERK with VHF dipoles, they are HUGE (6') and still don't get it, also the reception/ signal strength on all the UHF channels was worse than my Zenith antenna, so for now I am stuck but I am thinking of getting the NY HD feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)