OTA Antenna -uhf-vhf - Suggestions??

JasonHoodenpyle

Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
HI guys,

I live in 83634 zip code and pulled up results for my area for available channels.
Pretty much all signals are at 27degrees and 24 miles away. I need a antenna, preferably indoor and small and reasonably priced, that will do yellow,green,lt green, red, and blue.

Do you have any suggestions? I'd like to buy locally, so that means mega stores and Radio Shack.

I am using a 811 reciever without HD programming and an old cheap magnavox rabbit ear antenna. I am getting just a few of the channels I want, but I just hate those rabbit ears!

Please help,

TIA,

Jason

try going to circuit city. they have a pretty good range of antennas. the terk brand is good for both indoor and outdoor. depending on where you live, the indoor works really good.

The reds and blues - you need an outdoor medium sized directional antenna for these.

Because two of your stations are VHF you may need a combo VFH/UHF andenna, but the first thing I'd try is a Channel Master 4228. It is excellent for UHF and average for VHF.

Be sure to purchase it from a dealer that will let you return it.

Terks tend to be overpriced and under qualitied.

Last edited:
I went to Circuit City.com and the Terk5 got excellent reviews. Would this model not get my red and blues? I believe my old magnavox rabbit ears got them before.

-Jason

Try it, digital reception is an art, not a science. Experimentation is the only way to really know if something will work.

Circuit City has very good reviews on Terk 32 at $89 but what did not know is the TERK 32 is a copy of the Winegard 4400 that sells for under $25
Terks are over priced

Maybe you guys can help me out. I am going to return the terk5 today. It is actually too big. At least the antenna is. It worked just fine and I got the channels I was looking for but my wife does not like it on the media cabinet. There is a terk that looks like a rod, clean and sleek. That is something we are looking for, however it is around $100.

Do you have any suggestions for a good, basic, non-offensive indoor antenna that doesn't have rabbit ears? Would you suggest any at Radio Shack or best buy?

Help me out guys,

Jason

That Terk is hyped junk, if you can get away with UHF only, and all transmitters at the same basic heading, try the Zenith Silver Sensor (good to about 25 or so miles). Otherwise I 100% agree with Styxfix; go with a quality outdoor antenna.

jason

cm4228 outside...or cm4228 inside after a few days the wife will say ..."get that big friggin thing outa here and put it outside."

The cm4228 will receive ch 10 and 13.

had nothing better to do...for a laugh check out the picture. Had a cm4228 in stock

Attachments

• P1010012 (Small).JPG
    P1010012 (Small).JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Attic install is a good suggestion. Cm4228 in the attic with a hdp 269 amp to counteract the losses associated with inside install. you will need the cm 4228 to receive ch 10 and 13. The other uhf onlys will not work.

If all your stations were yellow, green and lt green you would have a good chance with an indoor antenna but you would need an indoor that will receive ch 10 and 13. the silver sensor is uhf only and the "rabbit ears" do not work that great on vhf.

The stations in RED are holding you back from using a "cute/dainty" indoor. But you can try it.

Don't believe the "reviews." Terk is good looking, under performing, and over priced. They are high profit items for stores to sell, like Monster Cable (but not as good a performer). Folks that could get a good signal with a bent coat hanger think their Terks are fine. Any signal problems and the Terks are a bad choice. If you doubt this, do a search and read extensively. The more knowledgeable people never use Terk.

The terks work for many people...even tried a silver sensor sensor, various multidirectionals, and even rabbit ears at my home to get a feel for how it works so I may comment on it here if need be. I even installed an antenna in my attic to compare signal quality vs outside install.

Antenna selection is not an exact science...there are so many variables and options out there. There are differences in terrain, distances from the towers, available channels in the market, transmitter outputs, etc. Then there is the personal factor...inside/outside, ugly factor, apartment, condo, rent, etc.

Many times you take chances because the antennas are not available locally. And the antenna selected just happens to work for you. We try to suggest antennas based on some form of experience so you run less of a risk for failure (some antennas are difficult to return). Then there are the variables associated with preamp selection that come into play. Overload...then what do you do if you selected the wrong one??

Most folks do not have an inventory of antenna equipment at their disposal. Wish antenna selection was more cut and dry...but unfortunately it is not an exact science.

Last edited:
Jim5506 said:
The reds and blues - you need an outdoor medium sized directional antenna for these.

Because two of your stations are VHF you may need a combo VFH/UHF andenna, but the first thing I'd try is a Channel Master 4228. It is excellent for UHF and average for VHF.

Be sure to purchase it from a dealer that will let you return it.

Terks tend to be overpriced and under qualitied.

What is the range of the 4228 for VHF. I've tried the D* OTA and that one gets my two VHF stations without much of a problem, one is pixilated, but the other is very good. That little OTA won't get any of my UHFs though. I like this style and if it can get my two VHFs that would be great.

I got my UHF VHF backwards. I get my two lower numbered stations fine 6 and 11, well 6 is pixeled like I said but the D* OTA is crap. It is the upper numbers I can't get a thing on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts