OTA Antenna Understanding?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
This may be silly but here goes. When my HD (3LNB) was installed about a year and a half ago the installer told me that the OTA that D* included in the deal would not work for me. Didn't understand then, don't now. Anyway so I go out and get a TERK indoor antenna hook it up to the HR10-250 and yup, there are my locals, damn nice too. Only about 5 miles away from towers. Here is the problem, my set up is truly in the corner of the den so the TERK is literally 1 foot away from the wall and looking right at it. 2 of the locals don't seem to ever break up but, 2 of them do on occasion. The question is, why wont the freakin outdoor antenna work? Is there anything that I can do with this or another indoor antenna to work better? Thanks!

Is the Terk power or not? I just run extra length of RG6 cable so I can move the antenna around to any position within the room I want. Also I have the Winegard Sharpshooter Model SS-3000 with great results. It's a bit pricey, but worth it. I get all the locals. I live off Alton-Darby and Roberts in Hilliard.

I don't thingk the TERK is power,it's a HDTVi . Will a "power" one make a difference? Thanks to both of you, Robbie,I am right on Broad Street 5 miles east of Downtown.

Hi J:

I ran into similar issues with the D* installer and his company as well. They will install an OTA Antenna but do not guarantee the ability to view your locals. I also, don't believe they spend the time to fine tune the antenna to get everything in. Being five miles from the transmitters, you are in a great situation to receive signal from in your house. I am 34 miles away from my receivers and can pull in most with fine tuning. I am getting anywhere from 45-70 percent on the OTA tuning menu on the TIVO.

My neighbor and I attempted to diplex an outdoor antenna throught the existing satellite cable without much success. And there is still doubt that diplexing will work when we have to upgrade to 5lnb. I gave up about a month ago and simply have a directional UHF antenna sitting behind my plasma that I adjust to get everything in.

The signal going out may be when the local channel is changing format from 480p to 720p or 1080i. For example, I record Letterman on our CBS affiliate. The local news is in 480p. Letterman is in 720 or 1080 the signal will pixelate briefly when format is changed.

I hope that helps.

packfan909

If your only 5 miles from the antenna farm you shouldn't have a problem at all receiving the locals. I had alot of trouble with the Directv supplied antenna, so I bought a UHF/VHF Channel Master outdoor antenna ($30.00) from Lowes and get every channel available down here ( South Florida ) My problem with the Directv supplied antenna was it was a UHF only, And my locals are split UHF/VHF. Outdoor antennas are superior to indoor antennas in my opinion. Although I'm only 15 miles from the antenna farm I had minimal luck with indoor antennas. :up

J. The D* antenna is crap. It's been discussed in many forms and boards. Like I said the one I have is a little pricey, but go to BB and buy a new one. They have some nice Jensens and RCA ones for a decent price. But I do recommened getting some extra length of cable to move your antenna around. It worked for me. Hey I know were you are at.

FlyingJ said:
This may be silly but here goes. When my HD (3LNB) was installed about a year and a half ago the installer told me that the OTA that D* included in the deal would not work for me. Didn't understand then, don't now. Anyway so I go out and get a TERK indoor antenna hook it up to the HR10-250 and yup, there are my locals, damn nice too. Only about 5 miles away from towers. Here is the problem, my set up is truly in the corner of the den so the TERK is literally 1 foot away from the wall and looking right at it. 2 of the locals don't seem to ever break up but, 2 of them do on occasion. The question is, why wont the freakin outdoor antenna work? Is there anything that I can do with this or another indoor antenna to work better? Thanks!

When you are within a 5 mile radius of the towers, it is recommended that you install a attenuator (take any amps out, if any), that may solve your issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)