OTA antenna with SWM 3 LNB between Biloxi and Mobile

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jerseyfla

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Georgia
I live in between Biloxi, MS and Mobile, AL. Directv gives us stations from Biloxi (ABC and FOX) and stations from New Orleans (NBC, CBS, and CW) but I would like to get some Mobile stations with an antenna. I have an indoor RCA flat model that does great for Biloxi locals and Mobile's CBS but is hit or miss with with the ABC, NBC, and CW from Mobile. I would like to try an outdoor antenna to see if it would be better and maybe try "Moving" to New Orleans DMA. Has anyone tried the Terk TV44 model that clips to the dish? Since I'm in military housing I had to mount my dish in the backyard, so it's only 6 feet off the ground and it has a SWM 3 lnb, could I just feed thorugh the lnb or is it more complicated than that?

Here is a TVfool reception report of my location.

TV Fool

More than likely, your gonna want an OTA antenna that you can direct, the problem with the clip on units is it only points to the southwest, if your local towers are not to the SW, your probably not gonna get your locals with that antenna unless they are REALLY close.

If an OTA antenna can bring in the channels you want, there is no need to "Move". Just select that DMA zipcode in the antenna setup, in HR20 or AM21, and the channels will be integrated into your guide.

Since I'm in military housing I had to mount my dish in the backyard, so it's only 6 feet off the ground and it has a SWM 3 lnb, could I just feed thorugh the lnb or is it more complicated than that?
Six feet isn't much loft. The clip-on antennas aren't particularly well suited to modern UHF reception. I'd go with Jimbo's recommendation of just about anything other than a clip-on. Understand also that you cannot take advantage of the antenna's built-in diplexer with your dish setup so you're going to have to run a second cable for OTA.

Know also that if you're using a DIRECTV OTA tuner, you WILL NOT be able to tune any channel that DIRECTV doesn't provide guide information for.

jdspencer said:
If an OTA antenna can bring in the channels you want, there is no need to "Move". Just select that DMA zipcode in the antenna setup, in HR20 or AM21, and the channels will be integrated into your guide.

If I do get Mobile stations with a better antenna, yes I do want to "move" because my philosophy and I'm sure other "movers" is. Why pay for stations that I can pull in OTA for free. So I would most likely move my address to New Orleans DMA that way I get all 3 Biloxi stations, any Mobile stations I can get (right now I can pull in CBS all day and ABC half the day), and all of the New Orleans stations. Three markets in one!

Don't they have the same programming outside of maybe sports ?

Local news is different.
Biloxi and Mobile more often than not show the same sports programming, but I have seen them show different pro teams from time to time.
New Orleans will most likely show the same pro sports as Biloxi, but he may get a few "regional" college games that are different.

I pull out of the same DMA as the OP, although I am farther north, I also have problems with the NBC, FOX, and CW out of Mobile. Fortunately I can get them from my D* service, or swing the antenna around and hit Biloxi, Hattiesburg, or Meridian.

msmith198025 said:
Local news is different.
Biloxi and Mobile more often than not show the same sports programming, but I have seen them show different pro teams from time to time.
New Orleans will most likely show the same pro sports as Biloxi, but he may get a few "regional" college games that are different.

I pull out of the same DMA as the OP, although I am farther north, I also have problems with the NBC, FOX, and CW out of Mobile. Fortunately I can get them from my D* service, or swing the antenna around and hit Biloxi, Hattiesburg, or Meridian.

Yeah they basically show the same NFC games on Fox but the AFC games on CBS are different as WWL (CBS NOLA) normally shows the Colts due to the Manning family being from the area and WKRG (CBS Mobile) normally shows the Dolphins or Jaguars being that Florida is in their viewing area. I'm not doing Sunday Ticket anymore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.