OTA Antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

deichkorn

Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Madison, WI
Hello,

I would like to watch the secondary digital channels that the local stations are now broadcasting. I have DirecTV HD service with two hd dvrs.

Is it possible to connect an antenna to the hd dvr receiver so I can watch those channels (for example, channel 3-2) through the receiver?

I am already receiving the primary digital local channels from directv. I do not currently have an antenna for anything.

Thanks in advance for your help .

David

The HR20's have an integrated ATSC tuner for tuning OTA. The HR21 and higher models do not. But, you can connect the AM21 external tuner to those DVRs

Also, depending on your TV, if it's a newer one, 2006 and newer it has a Digital tuner in it, you can also run an antenna into it.

I do not currently have an antenna for anything.

In addition to everything else stated, while I assume you realize you WILL need some sort of antenna, are you going to put one up outside or try some sort of indoor ant? ("rabbit ears") You're probably going to find most likely rabbit ears is NOT going to give you the most consistent reception of your local OTA's digitals, & that you are most likely going to need something outside, or at least in the attic. (although that can cut your signal strength by up to 50%)

Note thatthe 4228 will not receive 2-6 if any locals are using those frequencies.

Anyone have experience on how it works with chs 7 and 8? Once my local on 4 moves back to their original freq of 34, I may opt for this antenna.

I have great reception on 8 (35 miles to the tower), can't say about 7 (lol, no 7 transmitting here).

6 for me is fine too though I am under 20 miles to the tower.

The 4228 does well on hi vhf channels. Around here we have digital 10 which comes in fine.

The HR20's have an integrated ATSC tuner for tuning OTA. The HR21 and higher models do not. But, you can connect the AM21 external tuner to those DVRs

I have the HR21-100, so I will need an AM21? What is that exactly?
Someone else posted a suggestion about needing an antenna. Yes, I do know I'll need an antenna. I was going to start with an inexpensive indoor antenna and upgrade if necessary.

The AM21 is an addon ATSC tuner which integrates into the HR2x DVTs. It connects via the USB port. And the OTA is integrated into the guide.

And thanks to the others about how the 4228 works with hi band VHF.

The AM21 is an addon ATSC tuner which integrates into the HR2x DVTs. It connects via the USB port. And the OTA is integrated into the guide.

Thanks a lot. Too bad I called directv last week trying to explain what I wanted to do and got nowhere.

This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts