OTA Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scotland

Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
I have an OTA antenna in my attic hooked up to an HD Tivo DirecTV receiver. Will I impact the antenna quality for the local channels if I split that antenna off to feed other non HD televisions?

Like any antenna feed the answer is a clear as mud "it might". If you do start to see lots of HD breakup, pixilation, etc. you can add a standard antenna amplifier/splitter to the antenna feed. I plan on distributing OTA to several TVs and HD devices using an old amp I had from the dark ages before I had cable (I lived on a lake in the sticks at the time.)

One question? What kind of antenna are you using to pick up locals in Scotland? :)

Cheers,
Tom

Scotland said:
I have an OTA antenna in my attic hooked up to an HD Tivo DirecTV receiver. Will I impact the antenna quality for the local channels if I split that antenna off to feed other non HD televisions?

I have an attic antenna system set up in my house for my HD & SD sets. I am using a medium sized Radio Shack TV antenna (Had it quite a while and not sure of the model number). I feed it to a 4 output distribution amplifier. From there the line goes to 2 SD TV's and the other two go to diplexers combining the OTA signal with my D* signal, they connect to my two D* HD receivers. I am about 40 miles from most of the transmitters and get 30 digital or HD stations with that set-up. I think a distribution amp is a necessity for more than one set. Make sure you get one that covers the entire VHF and UHF TV frequency range. Some are made for just VHF or certain cable frequencies.

It works great for me and I receive every available digital and HD station but I am going to have to re-wire my system because with D* new MPG4 H-20 receiver, to get locals in HD, you can't use diplexers. The UHF TV signals are on the same frequency as some of the MPG4 D* signals. The TV signal will have to be separate from the D* signal.

Locals in Scotland

:) I've got the new Terk 15,000. I can get the Netherlands too. Kids have to wear lead baseball caps; but they get used to it. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)