OTA - attic mount vs. outside mount

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tgw1031

Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I just joined the forum a couple of days ago. The information I have received has been great.

I just purchased a TERK TV5 indoor OTA today. I will be returning it tomorrow. Although it worked well with my samsung sir-ts351 hd receiver, I could not get a signal strength greater than 60%. Some channels would only come in at 10%. Since the antenna had to sit on the floor to get to 10%, it must go. With the bowl games coming up and the NFL playoffs starting soon, having OTA hd is a must for me right now.

I am now looking at a I can mount in my attic. I am heading to radio shack tomorrow to see what they have available. I am looking for opinions as to what folks have tried. Is an attic mount antenna okay? Please give any experiences (good or bad). Also, I am seeing omnidirectional, unidirectional, one antenna looks like a flying disk, one looks like a stealth bomber. To many to choose. Any advise would be helpful.

Troy - Jacksonville, FL

i'm using a 66" channelmaster outside antenna mounted in the attic with a wineguard pre amp and an amp at my set. Am pulling in a full power ABC from 60 miles. Using a Dish 811 receiver about 78 signal strength (no reception below about 60 on this unit)

If you're getting anything with a terk product, I would go for a silver sensor. They're sold all over the place, including one of our sponsors (Value Electronics). Sat Guys users get a 10% discount (Just call and ask for Robert and tell him you're a member).

Wow, you should have no problem with the silver sensor. I show all the networks + WB within 6-ish miles of that zip. All seem to be coming from about the same place, too. Go for it, this antenna has received rave reviews, and is nice looking enough to have in your tv room.

Or since you're so close, the antenna I've got (see my signature) should work well. It's low-profile, which is nice. I get all my analog & digital locals from 8.0-8.4 miles away, and some analog ones from 40-44 miles away (very fuzzy but still discernible).

toto said:
i'm using a 66" channelmaster outside antenna mounted in the attic with a wineguard pre amp and an amp at my set. Am pulling in a full power ABC from 60 miles. Using a Dish 811 receiver about 78 signal strength (no reception below about 60 on this unit)

You have got to be kidding me?!? I am about 60-65 miles as the crow flies from Wash DC (50 from Richmond) and i figured i was SOL for OTA. I did not want to risk all the time and effort of an attic mount only to get a 40 signal.

I would appreciate specific info on the pre-amp and amp you are using (btw, why do you need an amp at your set?). Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)