OTA blocked (Media General Station)

Since there is no one else reporting this anywhere, there's glitch somewhere. Did you delete that channel (or all of them) then rescan?

I have deleted all of the stations, rescanned, unplugged the OTA tuner, unplugged the Hopper and nothing seems to fix the issue. What is weird is that it worked before the Media general blackout. My signal strength is in the mid to upper 60's and other stations withe the same signal strength are working fine.

I winder if my OTA tuner has gone bad?

Not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but our local Media General Station (WKRG) has lowered power for some reason. Signal that has always come in at 100% is down to the 80-90 % range. Not sure of the reason, unless they are trying to make sure some Dish Customers can't get them via Antenna. Which will make customers more demanding to Dish to get them to cave on negotiations. Lowered Power means areas further out will not get the station reliably.. Or they could just be having a power problem or saving money.. And again this is not the DMA you are in. Just am not putting it past Media General to pull this stunt in ALL DMA's if they thought it would help their case.

Edit.. Although today it seems as though they have turned power back up to full. Might be Tropical Weather coverage or they fixed their problem.

Works fine directly into my tv just not through the Hopper. Seems possible that they could block it just as they do when you do not have service at all.

We do not block access to OTA channels during a dispute. You will not receive the EPG information but you can still access the channels, as others have reported. This sounds like something else is going on. Can you send me a PM with your account information, Hopper software and call letters of the station? I will need to submit a report about this.

We do not block access to OTA channels during a dispute. You will not receive the EPG information but you can still access the channels, as others have reported.

Why can't we receive the OTA EPG?

Weird behavior with WKRG Mobile. The satellite feed has the "Important Info" warning for all time slots in the EPG, and that make sense. But the main OTA duplicates the sat feed "Important Info" warnings in all time slots for WKRG while the correct EPG info shows for the WKRG subchannels.

Since my OTA EPG is hosed by the "Important Info" I have to set manual timers for all the OTA CBS programming I want to record while this dispute is on-going. Can Dish fix it to show the correct CBS network EPG info from OTA and allow one button programming within the OTA EPG ?

Has been discussed over and over again, (Even recently) just do a search. DISH does not use the OTA info (PSIP), it comes from the Guide even when using OTA.

You guys just need to 1. Find out which frequency your channel broadcasts on. If it is UHF..get an UHF only antenna that will mount to a little post like the dishes do. You can double check on tvfool.com if you can get the channel at your location. You do need to point the antenna! The UHF is the one on top in my Avatar pic.

If the channel is on vhf, you would not end a larger antenna than the uhf

...it comes from the Guide even when using OTA.

That is not the issue. We all will be happy to get the info from the EEPG. The issue is duplicating the "Important Info" crap on OTA channels, thereby obliterating the guide there too. When the satellite feed goes dark, it would be very easy for many of us not even to notice their absence, except for the obliteration of the guide data. This just plays into the hands of the network providers, and helps them get higher rates. Why oh why does Dish do that? Somebody on this forum speculated that these are somehow coupled. But IMHO they don't need to be coupled, and should not be coupled. The guide comes from Tribune, and that contract is not in dispute.

I don't dispute anything in my post or even disagree I wish the info was still present - just that his question is covered in multiple threads with alot of information.

For locals the only have EPG data for unique channels. So they are in essence coupled. No real reason to do this besides the fact they would have to define more channel SIDS and then have double the EEPG data since locals are more than 50% of the guide data in the system. They could add them as necessary but the fact is they would rather wait it out than spend money adding EPG data for very few customers that have OTA tuners in the disputed markets.

For locals the only have EPG data for unique channels. So they are in essence coupled. No real reason to do this besides the fact they would have to define more channel SIDS and then have double the EEPG data since locals are more than 50% of the guide data in the system. They could add them as necessary but the fact is they would rather wait it out than spend money adding EPG data for very few customers that have OTA tuners in the disputed markets.

Dish could avoid the 50% increase in guide info if they (1) leave the real EEPG info on the OTA channels and (2) map ALL affected satellite channels onto ONE "important info" guide entry.

Last edited:
But the bandwidth for the EPG is there for when/if they reach an agreement again. They can't exactly repurpose it because they'd need to make space when it comes back.

Dish could avoid the 50% increase in guide info if they (1) leave the real EEPG info on the OTA channels and (2) map ALL affected satellite channels onto ONE "important info" guide entry.
It means they would have to run both PSIP from OTA and guide data they already run. Why would they want to have both?

It means they would have to run both PSIP from OTA and guide data they already run. Why would they want to have both?

Yeah, PSIP data is very inconsistent, it wouldn't be a simple task to integrate it with the Tribune data.

Yeah, PSIP data is very inconsistent, it wouldn't be a simple task to integrate it with the Tribune data.

So give custys a choice. I firmly believe PSIP should be required on all boxes that receive OTA. And I'd make all sat and cable boxes able to receive OTA. If we don't make steps to preserve free TV, we won't have free TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)