OTA Channels Keep Losing Lock and Requires Reboot and Rescan to Work Again

KashMoney

Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
Seattle
I am able to find all my local channels fine when scanning the first time.

However the next day when going to an OTA channel on the guide it keeps trying to reacquire the signal and never does. So I go to rescan the channels and it doesn't find any. In order to find channels again, I have to reboot the Hopper 3, and then it finds them fine again, and I have to do this whole process every day.

What am I missing in order to make this work?

Two possible reasons -- the module is overheating because it is placed inside a cabinet. Or the module may be losing its power source: check that the green LED stays on at all times.

Last edited:
Don't re-scan if you don't have a signal: it will delete any channels that it doesn't find. Just reboot the Hopper and all of your channels that were scanned on the prior scan should show up. There is no need to save the OTA channel list with the CUI: it automatically saves the settings when you exit that screen.

Mitch -
Two possible reasons -- the module is overheating because it is placed inside a cabinet. Or the module may be losing its power source: check that the green LED stays on at all times.

Power is good. I see the green LED at all times. I don't have it placed in cabinet, but you are right it's super hot to the touch like burn your skin hot. Could I have defective one?

If you have completely reset your hopper and it still won't work reliably, it probably is defective. I don't even know if there is a manufacturer's warranty on this since no one seems to guarantee it. When and where did you purchase it?

If you have completely reset your hopper and it still won't work reliably, it probably is defective. I don't even know if there is a manufacturer's warranty on this since no one seems to guarantee it. When and where did you purchase it?

I purchased it from a distributor on Ebay. I explained the situation to him and he was kind enough to give me a refund.

Reactions: Tampa8
Something similar to this happened to me last night. The H3 was unable to tune to any of the scanned OTA stations. I disconnected and reconnected the (single tuner) dongle and rebooted as instructed. All returned to normal. Don't have a clue what may have caused the hiccup.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)