ota digital card suggesstions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I've loved having an ati all in wonder 9000 for years... but now that ota analog is about to die in another year or so, what's a good replacement or addition to it that can pick up and record digital tv off of ota. For fta, I'm already set with the dvb world box... I'm looking for a card or external box or something that will record ota channels with pvr type of fuctionality. I've been reading about the hdtv wonder... is that a good card to have? Are others better? Why? This will more or less just be a sort of a digital vcr to record ota with like I can do with fta with the dvb world box.

Would it just be smarter to get a digital to analogue converter box and put it up in front of the ati's in coax connector?

I highly recomend the AverTV M780. It is both analog and digital, works with Media Center. About $85.00 at amazon

PCIe, so it uses slots that were open for me.

For versatility, get one that uses BDA drivers. That way you have a wide option of software to use with it. I have a Fusion USB box. It works great. The ATI HDTV Wonder does not use BDA drivers, so you are limited to a very few applications that will work with it. Most cards will have BDA drivers, but just check first before purchasing.

I also have the Dvico Fusion HDTV5 USB, sometimes the software crashes, but otherwise I like it a lot. It picks up unencrypted QAM too (Unencrypted Cable TV).

I use MyTheatre for both my satellite cards and my Fusion USB box. I do not have a program guide in MyTheatre (have not tried to load any plugins to receive the guide) but like using MyTheatres scheduler for having my pc automatically power on, record, then turn off. I only very seldom record my OTA, as I use my DVR for my OTA recordings. The nice thing about using BDA drivers is I can use MyTheatre or other software with the card.

I have two components that make up my 3 OTA tuners for my HTPC needs. My favorite is the HDHomerun box I got for Christmas. Dual tuners in one box. I have one hooked up via OTA and one hooked up via QAM. I also have the MyHD-130 card hooked up to OTA and QAM.

The HDHomeRun also works with TSReader... :) :) :)

Thanks for the quick supplies. My thoughts are that I'm going to keep looking around and find a good deal somewhere on something because going this route is probably going to be better than just getting a digital vcr....

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick supplies. My thoughts are that I'm going to keep looking around and find a good deal somewhere on something because going this route is probably going to be better than just getting a digital vcr....

A little on the pricey side but I fell in love with the dual tuner HDHomerun with BeyondTV for the HTPC. I can't believe I did it the hard way for soooooo long.

geniatech?

Anyone had experience with a Genitech usb stick? I see they are selling pretty cheap on ebay and are supposed to support atsc. Looks like it'd be a usb hog since it actually plugs in to the usb port and is pretty wide, so would take up 2 or three ports space even though it's only using one. I have usb extension cables. Wonder if they'd work on some gizmo like that.

DVICO Fusion now has a new generation of tuners. (Fusion HDTV7) I have not read anything about their performance or issues, but it is yet another option.

If you're interested in using Linux, better check the compatibility list. I have an old Air To PC, an AverTV 180 (both for OTA-HD) and PVR-350 (for analog D* output, has on board mpeg for recording reducing the load on PC). I'm using knoppixMyth. Note that I put together another myth box with the DIVCO card also....

thanks for good info guys; i was wondering if ther is pc card i can use instead fta rec thak you

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)