OTA - DVR : Amazon Recast vs AirTV Anywhere

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
I’ve got both these boxes and this is not meant as an all inclusive review, just some comparisons.

On both boxes there is no charge for the Guide info.

Amazon Recast:
This works quite well but is limited to working with Amazon FireTV products. There is an app for iOS and Android devices but frankly it isn’t very good or useful. Its main reason for being is to set up the Recast.

When this is set up, then on your FireTV device’s main screen you will have a new top menu selection “DVR”. This is where you deal with the Recast’s guide, dvr and so forth. It is all very straight forward. The Recast has very strong tuners compared to many other devices and TVs IMO.

Video quality is very good but limited to 720p. Audio follows whatever the channel provides. IOW, if the channel is broadcasting with DD5.1, you will get it.

Pricing on the 4 tuner version is $280, but as of today it has a sale for $200.

AirTV Anywhere:
This is AirTV’s latest version of their AirTV OTA DVR product line. This one has 4 tuners and a 1TB hard disk drive built in. It works within the SlingTV app and it does not require a subscription to SlingTV. The SlingTV app works on nearly all streaming TV devices though I have read that the AirTV OTA stuff does not work on versions on TVs. I have not confirmed that.

Video quality isn’t specified anywhere but my observation is that it is at least 720p. And I have noticed that the video is better on a FireTV device than on AppleTV though the difference isn’t huge. The video is better than the Recast on the same device.

Audio quality is as it is on the Recast device.

One irritating thing is that there is no program search on the broadcast guide. AirTV is aware of the issue and claims to be working on this.

Pricing is $199 direct from AirTV.

But a better deal is through Sling! For $99 plus 3 months of Sling Orange or Sling Blue prepaid @$30/month. Total $189!

IMO, the better deal and device is the AirTV Anywhere. Other than the lack of program search it works well, provides slightly better video and works with more devices. But either one is a good choice, just know that you are locked in to FireTV if you choose Recast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts