OTA DVR

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Anyone have any experience w/ dedicated OTA DVRs ? I like the specs of the newest Channel Master unit, but reviewers just trash it in terms of buggy software. T

Cheers, K

I have the older Dish DTVPal DVR. It works great, if you can find one. It's what the Channel Masters were based on, but I don't know about the current Channel Master model. It (the Pal dvr) uses psip for guide data now that Rovi has ended TVGoS.

I have an older Sony HDD 250 HD OTA dvr, but with Rovi ending guide support, it can't set its clock or date without the Rovi guide, so after 7yrs it is now a doorstop digital tuner.

Tivo and the ChannelMasters are about the only standalone box solutions out there other than an HTPC.

I have a TIVO, and it works well. Software is good and guide data comes directly from TIVO. However, the service is expensive, running from $13 - $20 per month depending on how you buy it. Best bet is to buy lifetime for $400 as it will pay back in about 3 years.

As I mentioned to Ice in another thread, your best bet is to find a TIVO-3 HD unit. The Premiere has a tuner that is a bit weak compared to the earlier unit. Also, the newest units that advertise 4 tuners are cable only and do not have an ATSC tuner at all.

Used TiVo series 3/HD can be found on ebay with lifetime. You can swap out the HD to expand storage if you like.

The Channel Master is the only one that isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg over time.

The computer-based DVRs are often uncomfortable to use and remote controls can be problematic.

TiVo isn't much of a solution as it costs almost as much as a cheap pay TV service just for guide data (not to mention the second and successive DVR fees).

If you can find a DTVPal DVR or Channelmaster 7000pal on EBay that would work too. (but they are between $300-325 on there)

Tivo can be spendy as noted above....$15 a month or you can get lifetime service on it but get a Series 3...tuner is waaaaay better on them than the Premiere (I should know...have had both)

The issue is there is such limited options for a OTA DVR...

me personally..used DTVPal DVR for about a year and now use a Tivo

TiVo isn't much of a solution as it costs almost as much as a cheap pay TV service just for guide data (not to mention the second and successive DVR fees).

At least Tivo and the Pal DVR have guide info for ALL channels...not just a couple that Dish gives them ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)