OTA + Eastern Arc in Dayton, OH

lentesubigo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I live in Dayton, OH. Currently our DMA is not authorized for the Eastern Arc package and our locals are not broadcast on the Eastern Arc Sats. I was unable to get the Western Arc Sats due to LOS issues. After being very persistant I was able to get the Eastern Arc system installed.

If I pay for locals will I get the guide data for my OTA channels even though the Sats I am pointing at don't carry locals for my area?

In other words is the guide data for all channels on all sats or is the guide data for a channel only on the sat that carries that channel?

The guide data is typically carried on (1) satellite irregardless of which satellite your locals are from. For most people, the guide data comes from either 110' or 119', neither of which carries Dayton's (SD) locals.

Presuming that you're pointed at 61.5 - 77 with an Eastern Arc dish, I'm guessing can't sell you the Dayton locals as they're on 129'. Their system may simply not allow it. Then again, technically they don't know what dish(es) you may have installed. You could tell them you've installed a dish pointing at 129' yourself.

Please Help

I tried subscribing to the locals and forcing the guide refresh by check switch. Then I waited 24 hours and did check switch again. Still nothing. I took a look on their support site and it mentions that guide data for a channel is only available from it's assigned sat. In other words I can't get dayton local guide data without 129.

While going through all this I read a post mentioning "Moving." From what I understand you simply change your account's physical address to get locals from another market. I moved down here from MN, so I don't care about local news and sports. What markets could I recieve in Dayton on Eastern Arc? How likely are they to stay available? Any have all 5 locals in HD? (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC)

Also, would I need to get mail at the new physical address? I have paperless billing. Would I need to know someone at the address or can I randomly pick an address from the phone listings?

Now that you mention that, I do seem to recall something along the lines that the local guide data does often come from the same satellite that the channels are actually broadcast from. They don't have to be, of course. FWIW, Dayton's locals should end up on Eastern Arc someday...

"Moving" won't help you, I don't think. If you were to do this, you change your "service" address, not your mailing or billing address. Paperless billing or not, you still have a mailing address on record with Dish.

If you're asking about Dayton's locals, I can say with certainty that all but CW are in HD. CW may be, but I'm not positive as we don't seem to watch anything on there.

Now that you mention that, I do seem to recall something along the lines that the local guide data does often come from the same satellite that the channels are actually broadcast from. They don't have to be, of course. FWIW, Dayton's locals should end up on Eastern Arc someday...

"Moving" won't help you, I don't think. If you were to do this, you change your "service" address, not your mailing or billing address. Paperless billing or not, you still have a mailing address on record with Dish.

If you're asking about Dayton's locals, I can say with certainty that all but CW are in HD. CW may be, but I'm not positive as we don't seem to watch anything on there.

There are non-spotbeam locals (CONUS) broadcasts for other cities' locals. Also based on the spotbeam map for 61.5 it looks like dayton is on the fringe of both SB10 and SB11. If I can get either of these spotbeams I will be able to get the locals from that area (Chicago, Indy, ...). If I can't get the spotbeams I would still have the possiblity of getting distant locals via a CONUS broadcast.

If anyone can answer any of the following it would be very helpful:
Is there a better more accurate spot beam map?
How could I test if I am getting signal before changing my service address?
Is there a set of locals broadcast via CONUS on 61.5?
Do I have to call in to change the service address?
Anyone try this on 61.5 in the Dayton area?

You won't be able to get Cleveland HD off of 61.5 in Dayton - the spot beam is very tight. I live about 30 miles south of the DMA and only get 5-7. You might be able to "Move" to Cleveland and get the SD locals. I say might because I am not sure how tight the SD spot is for the Eastern Arc. You should be able get them or Cincinnati off of 110 if you have LOS.

Are there any CONUS locals on 61.5 or 72.7 (or expected on the future 77)? I was looking at the spotbeam map and I might be on the fringe of the 61.5 spotbeam for Chicago.

CW is in HD, I never watch it either, but noticed that the Ole Miss/Florida game was in HD last Saturday... I have no idea about their regular programming though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)